November 19, 2017, 08:18:13 AM

Author Topic: What do the Packers need the most?  (Read 11541 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
What do the Packers need the most?
« on: December 27, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »
1. WR that can get open and beat press coverage?
2. LT that can keep Rodgers upright?
3. Pass rushing OLB
4. Head Coaching change?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
Re: What do the Packers need the most?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 05:31:16 PM »
Great...another bait thread.

If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »

I know it's unpopular around here to point out the obvious that McCarthy basically got lucky one year and won a Super Bowl. It's pretty clear he's in over his head at this point. His teams have gotten by with a couple of the greatest QB's in history but he's got no answers now that the cupboard is not as full as past years.

It's either coaching or you have to believe Rodgers suddenly forgot to play QB or we've got the worst WR's in the league.

I'm done, I know people don't agree with me but if we won the Super Bowl this year, I'd say the HC still needs to go.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
You are never done with your agenda.

Offline walker16

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »
Is this not the rant & vent?

Would love a true TE.

I would have to look at some serious changes in coaching ( not MM or Capers )

Receivers are they on TT or receivers coach...or a combination?
Rodgers & receivers, both have had off years. Was there a change this season in coaching?
If so terrible results.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
I will treat this as a serious thread.  So, just spitballing here without a lot of contemplation- just going from my gut:

This year we have played the year with a very good slot receiver, an injured #3 who now has a serious confidence issue, and a #5.  #1 and #4 are on IR.  #6 looks promising and #7 is a very good gunner and a reasonable kickoff returner.

Thus I feel like we need WR help most.  Jordy could well come back as a number 1, and Montgomery could heal up and make a better #3 option than Adams.  It would be nice to have another #1 prospect- a receiver that could develop into a true go to guy- I don't see that in Adams.

Tight end would be my second priority.  Richard Rodgers has good hands, but I just don't see him as threatening to defenses.

I don't see us as needing an edge rusher at this time.  Only thing I see on defense is an upgrade at ILB.  Not sure what Raji will command in the market, may need a replacement for him.  The defensive backfield should be set for a while with the rookies they have getting more experience and getting better.

I don't know what to do with the OL.  Health would help a lot, as I am not sure any of the starters are anywhere close to healthy at this point.  I would go best player available and see what falls to us as the OL does OK when not injured.  Not sold on Bahktiari as the long term answer at LT, but he is young and will likely keep improving. 

So I go with WR.  Here's to hoping Calvin Johnson will take less in order to play with Aaron Rodgers and get a super bowl ring.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Good post.

Thinking O-Tackle on the left side in the Draft as #1.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
3. Pass rushing OLB
4. Head Coaching change?

We need more speed at WR even with the return of Jordy next year.

Bak has been battling injuries all year so we were stuck with Barclay.  We need to draft more tackles instead of guards and asking them to play tackle.

If we can upgrade the ILBing corps we can put Clay back outside.

I think Mike has to re-assess what he did last offseason.  He over-reacted to the NFCC loss and screwed up his once potent offense.  He never should have gave up the playcalling and took Edgar away from the WRs.  IMO it was a mistake to make Van Pelt coach both the QBs and WRs.  These positions deserve a full time assistant.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I will treat this as a serious thread.  So, just spitballing here without a lot of contemplation- just going from my gut:

This year we have played the year with a very good slot receiver, an injured #3 who now has a serious confidence issue, and a #5.  #1 and #4 are on IR.  #6 looks promising and #7 is a very good gunner and a reasonable kickoff returner.

Thus I feel like we need WR help most.  Jordy could well come back as a number 1, and Montgomery could heal up and make a better #3 option than Adams.  It would be nice to have another #1 prospect- a receiver that could develop into a true go to guy- I don't see that in Adams.

Tight end would be my second priority.  Richard Rodgers has good hands, but I just don't see him as threatening to defenses.

I don't see us as needing an edge rusher at this time.  Only thing I see on defense is an upgrade at ILB.  Not sure what Raji will command in the market, may need a replacement for him.  The defensive backfield should be set for a while with the rookies they have getting more experience and getting better.

I don't know what to do with the OL.  Health would help a lot, as I am not sure any of the starters are anywhere close to healthy at this point.  I would go best player available and see what falls to us as the OL does OK when not injured.  Not sold on Bahktiari as the long term answer at LT, but he is young and will likely keep improving. 

So I go with WR.  Here's to hoping Calvin Johnson will take less in order to play with Aaron Rodgers and get a super bowl ring.

GMTA

We need more speed overall at WR.  Cobb is great as a #2/slot guy but not so hot as the  #1.  JJ is okay but was never a speed demon.  Lord knows what happened to Adams.  Losing Ty really hurt.  If we had Jordy on one side and another stud on the other (donno if Megatron would be the answer) that will help Cobb and Ty be a real problem for defenses in 2016.  We need speed at TE too.  RRod is just too slow and can't break a tackle to save his soul.  I'd draft a tackle kinda high too.

On defense ILB is still an issue.  Poor Ryan was brutal out there today.  It would be nice to be able to put Clay back outside.  Daniels is a real gem.  It would be great to find another one.  Our secondary will be a real strength going forward.

This roster, save a handful of guys who left and some on IR, is basically the same as the one who played in the NFCC game last year.  Address some of these issues and 2016 will be a lot more fun than 2015.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 11:25:59 PM »
I think injuries and more than a few years of pounding have caught up to Calvin. Dont think the speed or jumping ability are what they used to be - or the ability to last a season is there anymore. This is just based on the eyeball test - but I havent looked at his stats - which might be a mistake.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 11:57:32 PM »
Id give all of Adams snaps to Abby for the rest of the year.  Adams has had way too many games to "work out" his issues.  Instead of dropping passes due to lack of concentration, he can spend his days on a jugs machine dropping as many passes as he wants.   

Thompson has to dip into Free agency.  This draft and develop philosophy sounds great, but it has caught up with him.  Thompson is a personnel guy, he knows players, find FAs who fit, and get them in here.  Im not saying break the bank, but a good FA guard or WR who can stretch the field.  Im not looking for stars, just guys who can play. 

You better find some guys who can block.  This OL isnt getting any younger and as Rodgers gets into the twilight of his career, he wont be as mobile.  These guys are already breaking down.   The OL needs revamping.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
3. Pass rushing OLB
4. Head Coaching change?

Let's see if there are solutions ready.

1. Montgomery? Abbredaris? Sure, a draft pick- but that's unlikely, given the position the Packers draft, perennially at the end of each round. Besides, how about someone with speed? Like Janis, but who can actually run a decent route? Or, possibly, is Adams the answer? We'll see next year. Players develop at different rates. Perhaps this was a down year for Adams, and he comes back next year? Still, insurance would be nice.

2. How about finally moving Bulaga to LT, and Bakhtiari to RT? That assumes Bulaga can stay healthy, though. Definitely something that should be addressed in the draft and consideration should be given to getting a FA. How about trying for Joe Thomas from Cleveland?

3. Why not move CMIII to where he belongs- rushing OLB?

4. This is an old trope, and nothing will change your mind, as you've repeatedly written.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:23 AM »
3. Pass rushing OLB
4. Head Coaching change?

Let's see if there are solutions ready.

1. Montgomery? Abbredaris? Sure, a draft pick- but that's unlikely, given the position the Packers draft, perennially at the end of each round. Besides, how about someone with speed? Like Janis, but who can actually run a decent route? Or, possibly, is Adams the answer? We'll see next year. Players develop at different rates. Perhaps this was a down year for Adams, and he comes back next year? Still, insurance would be nice.

2. How about finally moving Bulaga to LT, and Bakhtiari to RT? That assumes Bulaga can stay healthy, though. Definitely something that should be addressed in the draft and consideration should be given to getting a FA. How about trying for Joe Thomas from Cleveland?

3. Why not move CMIII to where he belongs- rushing OLB?

4. This is an old trope, and nothing will change your mind, as you've repeatedly written.

1. I used to be of the mind set that getting healthy and a year wiser would help this position out, but I'm not sure. Where the heck is Cobb and his 10 million a year? Is Adams ankle affecting his vision. The one pass in the endzone went right through his hands and he didn't even touch the ball. That was bizarre. Abbredaris? Maybe. Janis? Maybe but he's struggling at WR right now. I think some of it is scheme. You guys are NEVER and I repeat NEVER wide open.

2. Bulaga is not a LT IMO. Joe Thomas is short term answer and expensive. If we're going to push all of our chips in the middle to play one more hand, OK go get him. Doesn't seem like TT's M.O though.

3. CMIII was playing OLB yesterday and was pretty much useless most of the game. I'm all for it but think his days as an elite edge pass rusher are probably behind him. I also think he's pretty good at ILB. In fact, he'd be damn good if he blitz less and covered more, just my opinion.

4. You are correct and IMO, no way we get lucky and win another Super Bowl with him as HC. He's has not improved as a HC, something we expect players to do over time. Why not coaches? He makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again. My opinion and you are correct it won't change. For instance, how many times were our over matched tackles were left on an island and exposed? At some point you have to protect the franchise QB first.

BTW, Rodgers is not completely absolved in this seasons meltdown. I think he's been Jay Cutler average without the interceptions.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »

Nothing is obvious.

No one has ever implied "we've got the worst WR's in the league"  - if so, please copy/paste the comment(s) here so I can update my thinking - but many (here) as well as the national media have highlighted their deficiencies. 

I'm glad you're done.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
I'm done, I know people don't agree with me but if we won the Super Bowl this year, I'd say the HC still needs to go.

That's where you lost me.  I've been saying for years it's time for TT and MM to go.  But if MM can somehow win a SB with this team this year, you would fire him?  Sorry, that's a bridge too far.

I would replace them because there's no way they will win the SB this year, but more importantly they didn't win it (or even make it to the SB) for years now when they had teams capable of doing so. 

I admired AZ yesterday, they never stopped playing after getting a huge lead.  Sure, they throttled down the passing game, but defense kept coming and they played hard from beginning to end.  Our Packers haven't had that attitude in a long, long time. 

This isn't a quick fix.  Get Jordy back, and "find" a great ILB.  They have tried for years to find a LB that can complement Matthews, spent multiple high draft picks (on DE too) and have come up with a pile of mediocre players, or worse. 

TT left the cupboard bare at TE and OL reserves.  The tackles we trotted out there yesterday, what an absolute joke.  But it wasn't funny that MM didn't give them any help, even after it was obvious they couldn't hold up. 

MM is supposed to be an offensive mastermind, yet he knew before the season even started he was going without Jordy.  After 4 months, he still hasn't figured out how to make this offense function, in fact it's getting worse instead of better.