November 20, 2017, 03:21:47 AM

Author Topic: What do the Packers need the most?  (Read 11563 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: What do the Packers need the most?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

Nothing is obvious.

No one has ever implied "we've got the worst WR's in the league"  - if so, please copy/paste the comment(s) here so I can update my thinking - but many (here) as well as the national media have highlighted their deficiencies. 

I'm glad you're done.

I believe this is the quote you purposely took out of context. Apparently the word "either" or the phrase, "you have to believe" didn't provide the proper context for you.

"It's either coaching or you have to believe Rodgers suddenly forgot to play QB or we've got the worst WR's in the league."

Reality is a tough pill to swallow sometimes. I've faced the reality of where we are with MM as head coach. I'd adjust it to include our GM but believe there is a lot of talent on this team and a lot that we could be hopeful of. There are over a dozen young, promising, talented players on this roster that could get this thing turned around if they can tap that potential which to date they have not.

A few, that could be pro-bowl types IMO: Mike Pennel, Damarious Randall, and Quinten Rollins to name names. Pennel is the most talented DT we've had since I don't know when. He could also to turn out to be a guy who never realizes his potential, but you see him manhandle guys on occasion and see things we don't see in GB lately.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:47:30 AM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »
You see things (or believe them at least) that dont exist.

I took nothing out of context. I responded to the "worst WR" thought by saying that nobody I know has ever commented to that effect. Which means (to put it "back" into the context you require for understanding) that nobody (I know) "believes" we have the "worst WR's"  - see how easy that was?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
There were three options in that statement and by your statements you apparently are eliminating one of them. Not so hard to understand but IMO, one of those three things must exist for this team to have fallen as quickly as it has. I do place some blame on Aaron Rodgers as his play has not been up to his standards.

It's really that simple and stating that I said we have the worst WR's in the league is a complete fabrication of the facts that clearly exist in my post. You can deny it all you want, facts don't change just because one refuses to see they exist.

This debate is pointless, why don't you carry on without me and you can believe you won. Just like you believe McCarthy is a great coach.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »

I never said (copied/pasted for the total and complete clarity you obviously require): "....and stating that I said we have the worst WR's in the league is a complete fabrication of the facts that clearly exist in my post. You can deny it all you want, facts don't change just because one refuses to see they exist."

Again - you're seeing (or believing) things that dont exist.

I never said it.

You wish to beat your MM drum. Tire. Thread bare. Worn out conjecture.

Btw - condensing things a bit and replying to VOR's comment: I think that had JN not gone down and we not suffered the rash of injuries across the board, the season could have been very different. As is - even with all these deficiencies, we accomplished double digit wins and stand to win the Division again. Not accomplishments to be discounted out of hand simply because they dont fit a particular narrative.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:44:00 AM by Leader »

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
What about brining back Philbin as either an offensive consultant or as the OC.  Could help this year.

Offline walker16

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
 Clay had posted a article on AR & the teams struggles not long ago.

No names just unnamed scouts & coaches talking about how slow packer receivers are, and that when they finally realized they could play man against AR this team fell hard from the 6-0 start.

The worst? Don't recall that in the article. Bottom 5 I believe.

Really don't need a scout/coach to tell us that.

I believe we have had this discussion in Bretts last years. Putting talent around him v.s. putting it all on their shoulders.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
Right.  The other major problem is teams are blitzing like crazy now.  That rarely happened in the past, because the book said blitz AR and he'll kill you.  Obviously, not true this year. 

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »
Great...another bait thread.
I'm done, I know people don't agree with me but if we won the Super Bowl this year, I'd say the HC still needs to go.

That's where you lost me.  I've been saying for years it's time for TT and MM to go.  But if MM can somehow win a SB with this team this year, you would fire him?  Sorry, that's a bridge too far.

I would replace them because there's no way they will win the SB this year, but more importantly they didn't win it (or even make it to the SB) for years now when they had teams capable of doing so. 

I admired AZ yesterday, they never stopped playing after getting a huge lead.  Sure, they throttled down the passing game, but defense kept coming and they played hard from beginning to end.  Our Packers haven't had that attitude in a long, long time. 

This isn't a quick fix.  Get Jordy back, and "find" a great ILB.  They have tried for years to find a LB that can complement Matthews, spent multiple high draft picks (on DE too) and have come up with a pile of mediocre players, or worse. 

TT left the cupboard bare at TE and OL reserves.  The tackles we trotted out there yesterday, what an absolute joke.  But it wasn't funny that MM didn't give them any help, even after it was obvious they couldn't hold up. 

MM is supposed to be an offensive mastermind, yet he knew before the season even started he was going without Jordy.  After 4 months, he still hasn't figured out how to make this offense function, in fact it's getting worse instead of better.

Not sure how this was a consensus. He inherited a pretty good team, and the talent has been far above average most of his time here. Look at his two seasons prior to getting the HC job. He was a bottom of the barrel OC in SF. That made me cringe when he was hired. Thats far over with, but I still wonder why the Offensive Genius opinion. From 2010-2014 this team should have set records in almost every category but instead struggled in the red zone, couldnt pick up short yardage, forgot to screen.... etc.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
GB is a young, undisciplined, oft-injured (some might even say soft), team with little depth at key positions.  The Oline is a revolving door on and off the injury list. Their bookend Otackles are just not durable and I've lost faith that they can be relied upon.  There's clearly a lack of healthy receivers with both speed and talent, though, Montgomery has shown real promise when healthy.  Who's to blame for all of this?  I've not a clue, therefore, I'll not make any suggestions, but I can understand where posters might have an issue with either MM or TT, so they shouldn't be thrown under the bus either.
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »
1. WR that can get open and beat press coverage?
2. LT that can keep Rodgers upright?
3. Pass rushing OLB
4. Head Coaching change?

5. A re-tooled playbook ?

It is an awkward question, 'what do we need most'. We need an OT and WR, probably more than an OLB, but good OLBs go so early that it could be the prime target of a round one pick. The WRs that I would most like to see in Green Bay, Evan Engram (effectively a big WR) and Braxtion Miller are currently rated #69 and #95 by CBS, 2nd and 3rd round targets. At this time I'm predicting OLB, OT, WR in that order (though I expect Miller to rise higher through the draft process).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline golfman

• HOF Member

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:51:02 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »
From 2010-2014 this team should have set records in almost every category but instead struggled in the red zone, couldnt pick up short yardage, forgot to screen.... etc.

Just keeping it simple with data:

2010 - #10 in points scored per game.
2011 - #1 in points scored per game.
2012 - #5 in points scored per game.
2013 - #8 in points scored per game.
2014 - #1 in points scored per game.

I cant say how many of those scores came off screen passes, short yardage situations or inside the red zone, but imagine some of them were at least.
Perfect? Nope. Few teams ever are and theres always room for improvement. You've gotta keep trying to improve or you sink like a stone - but those are some pretty good rankings you ask me.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/1/1/10697346/mike-mccarthy-and-the-trouble-with-consistency

And..........?

No and, it is an article with a point of view on a subject I've more than made myself clear. I think there is some validity to what the guy is writing.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/1/1/10697346/mike-mccarthy-and-the-trouble-with-consistency

And..........?

No and, it is an article with a point of view on a subject I've more than made myself clear. I think there is some validity to what the guy is writing.

Made yourself clear?

Care to expound again?

The article, from what I gather, is just more of the same....only a different writer looking for clicks.

But what ever floats your boat.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.