November 19, 2017, 08:19:09 AM

Author Topic: How many catches will Jeff Janis get?  (Read 21736 times)

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
How many catches will Jeff Janis get?
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:49 PM »
Jeff Janis has been a big tease to many in Packer nation. Now that three receivers who started ahead of him are injured (Nelson, Adams and Montgomery) will this be the week that he makes an offensive contribution (not counting the Chargers game?)

Offline reaper3429

• Starter
Re: How many catches will Jeff Janis get?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »
I chose 3 and if he continues to run the deep routes and indeed catches three that would be outstanding. I really think we will see Abby grab a 4-6 Janis may not really benefit all that much from Adams injury.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:12:32 PM »
I think he'll catch 2 or 3 passes, with one big one. It's going to be a shootout and Janis can take the top off the defense. If the Packers are going to win, they need Janis and Abby to step up in a big way this week. Jeff Janis reminds me of Bill Schroeder. Small school guy who has some serious wheels, but is the definition of raw. It took Schroeder 4 years, a couple of team changes and a stint in Europe before he even caught a pass (he had 2 in '97) before he started to break out the year after.

I don't care if all Janis does is run a fly pattern every time he's on the field. Defense still has to cover it, which should open up things underneath.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
I think he'll catch 2 or 3 passes, with one big one. It's going to be a shootout and Janis can take the top off the defense. If the Packers are going to win, they need Janis and Abby to step up in a big way this week. Jeff Janis reminds me of Bill Schroeder. Small school guy who has some serious wheels, but is the definition of raw. It took Schroeder 4 years, a couple of team changes and a stint in Europe before he even caught a pass (he had 2 in '97) before he started to break out the year after.

I don't care if all Janis does is run a fly pattern every time he's on the field. Defense still has to cover it, which should open up things underneath.

goodpost  This!

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »
Hard to say.

On one hand, I don't think he'll play much, unless (knock on wood) Cobb, Jones, or Abby get injured in game. The packages with Cobb in the backfield used to be 4 WR's and 1 TE, but for the last good portion it's been 3 WR's, 1 TE, 1 FB. So theoretically, Janis won't even see action in those packages. He certainly didn't get the opportunities after Adams went out last week. In the normal 3 WR sets, Cobb typically moved outside, with Abby in the slot. Unless, the Packers feel Janis is a better option than Cobb outside, I'm not sure Janis sees the field all that much. McCarthy also seems to like to split the FB, RB, or TE out wide in certain packages too.

I hope he gets some opportunities and makes the best of them.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
I vote zero. 

I hope he gets some action, that Rodgers gives him a look, and that he catches a pass or more.  But I'll be surprised if he gets a completion. 

I've kind of wondered why they've only run him deep and outside.  He's very dangerous with the ball in his hands on the run, based on kickoffs, so big and fast that he can run through smaller guys.  I'd have thought he might be pretty effective in one of the WR screens, for example, whether as the ball-carrier, or one of the blockers.  Have also thought he might be interesting in the slot; just sprint across the middle through the linebackers area.  Tall target, could be easy to spot; hit him on the run and he could be really interesting.   

Maybe next year. 

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
I vote zero. 

I'm voting zero as well.

I really like Janis and he's been spectacular as a gunner on ST's so theres no doubt a spot for him on this team.  But when they've tried to integrate him into the offense it hasn't worked - and although I hate to say it as a Janis fan, it's completely due to his route running.  WR's in this offense not only need to be able to run crisp routes but also make a play if the play breaks down.  Seems so far this year if Janis does well enough to run a good route, he's not used to improvising in terms of a scramble drill.

So as I mentioned before, I think it would be ideal to use him on a super limited route tree.  Give him a deep route, crossing route, and maybe another simple route or two to run.  I know it won't be super deceptive, but he's athletic enough that the defender will have to respect the deep ball (and if they don't just run a double move and get him deep) so he should be able to get open on crossing routes and he's dangerous in the open field...

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
The WR screen would (I think) require no route running either.  Hike and instantly throw it to him on line of scrimmage, and let him make a play from there.  Point about scramble-drill is well taken. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »
The WR screen would (I think) require no route running either.  Hike and instantly throw it to him on line of scrimmage, and let him make a play from there.  Point about scramble-drill is well taken. 

Works for me.
In fact, I think they should throw him 4 to 5 of them.........

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »
That is what they should be doing with this guy.

Plus the quick slant across the middle and the stop and go fly route.

I think Abby will get most of the  downs.  JJ may get maybe 10-15.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
Janis most likely will be seen only on ST.  They might have him in there for a handful of plays but not more unless something happens to Abby.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 02:51:54 AM »
I vote zero. 

I hope he gets some action, that Rodgers gives him a look, and that he catches a pass or more.  But I'll be surprised if he gets a completion. 

I've kind of wondered why they've only run him deep and outside.  He's very dangerous with the ball in his hands on the run, based on kickoffs, so big and fast that he can run through smaller guys.  I'd have thought he might be pretty effective in one of the WR screens, for example, whether as the ball-carrier, or one of the blockers.  Have also thought he might be interesting in the slot; just sprint across the middle through the linebackers area.  Tall target, could be easy to spot; hit him on the run and he could be really interesting.   

Maybe next year.
Because he is terrible at running routes.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
Didn't vote, since I'm not involved in the Packers game planning sessions this week ; )  I think MM can go one of two ways, and I have no idea which one he rolls with. 

He could emphasize the run even more, use more two TE/ two WR  sets, and focus on running that offense the best they can.  Or, he could surprise people and use some 4 and 5 WR sets at times to throw something different at them that is unexpected. 

Either way, Janis may never be targeted.  We'll see.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
...I've kind of wondered why they've only run him deep and outside.  ..
Because he is terrible at running routes.

A guy terrible at running routes can still:
1.  WR screen is no route at all, so no route-running.
2.  A straight deep fly pattern is no route at all.  A terrible route-runner can do that. 
3.  A straight slant, start on the right side and just run as fast as you can across the field also takes no route-running skill. 

We all get that he's bad at running routes.  The discussion is whether there are a couple of usages where his size/speed and his power/speed potential, with the ball in his hands, could make him useful despite being a terrible route runner. 

Not even the most "let's-use-Janis" advocates have suggested he should be an every-down guy or a guy who's expected to play even a third of the full playbook. 

maxman44

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Not as many as Abbrederis