September 25, 2017, 07:20:47 PM

Author Topic: How many catches will Jeff Janis get?  (Read 19068 times)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: How many catches will Jeff Janis get?
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »

Dude, get over it.  Posting the same post over and over and over again until a couple posters "respond to it" isn't going to do this board any good.   What is fair and honest to you isn't fair and honest to everyone.  Ignoring most of Janis's passing down snaps this year and games like he had against Oakland isn't what I would considered a fair assessment.  Just because you donít' view gimme red zone targets as a fair opportunity doesn't mean everyone needs to share that opinion.  Had Janis not dropped that TD he may very well have seen the field more.  Itís the NFL, players usually have to earn their way on the field.  I donít' get the idea that playing time is just an entitlement.  The idea that the last guy on the depth chart deserves just as many snaps or more than the first guy is crazy to me. 

Let this wait till next year as pounding your chest to act if you are in some way vindicated for wanting our most productive WR on the bench for the vast majority of a game isn't doing anyone any good.  I just wish you were willing to ignore some of James Jone's games like you are Jeff Janis's.  Your opinion of how terrible he is would surely change as James Jones very likely saved our season.

This will be my last response about this as you aren't bringing anything new to the conversation.  You can feel vindicated all you want
Ditto. Cheech's boy had plenty of opportunities in the regular season and did squat. It's absurd to think he would have opened up the offense when he already showed when he was in there that he couldn't do it.

You also earn your playing time. It isn't handed out.

James Jones was signed the week of the first game. Please explain to me how a guy who wasn't there 'earned' his playing time week 1? Don't get me wrong, I understand why he played but it flies completely in the face of your 'you earn your playing time' crap.

James Jones was in GB for an entire week before the season started.  If this is a valid question then one could ask why any UFA is given the starting spot on his new team.  I mean if past play in the NFL doesn't at all matter?  Maybe you are right though and playing time isn't earned, its just an entitlement that's not based on anything that occurs on a football field, past or present.   thumbsup)

I doubt our coaching staff looked at one week of James Jones's entire 7 year NFL career as you are suggesting.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
The "earn it" concept is good, but I think there is the question of opportunity.  Once the season starts, they rarely do hard, padded practices, and they almost never scrimmage.  The last two weeks of camp, very little.  "Gotta earn it in practice", I wonder how much that's even possible once you get within two weeks of the season. 

Once the coaches decide in early August, for a lot of positions it's kind of hard to "compete" and pass a guy who's ahead.  Depends on the position group; some that rotate players more, a guy will get game action and can earn more play. 

Gunter played really well in Washington; and he played really well in camp.  Maybe he was practicing badly all year, but most likely he was as fine in practice as he was in camp and in Washington; just didn't get an opportunity.  David Johnson was #3 guy in Az for most of year.  Maybe he was practicing badly, but probably he just needed the injuries to get a chance.  Was Janis practicing kickoff returns badly in practice?  Most likely he just needed injuries to give him the chance. 

Janis did get some snaps, and he blew a couple of them (throw in Oakland; and a deep throw Detroit? that he lost track of the ball and slowed down.)  But most of Janis's snaps were as a blocker, or as a deep-threat on running plays.  He got few actual receiving opportunities; and even when he wasn't blocking he tended to be either low on Rodgers's check-down list, or else deep balls with which Rodgers struggles with accuracy. 

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »

Dude, get over it.  Posting the same post over and over and over again until a couple posters "respond to it" isn't going to do this board any good.   What is fair and honest to you isn't fair and honest to everyone.  Ignoring most of Janis's passing down snaps this year and games like he had against Oakland isn't what I would considered a fair assessment.  Just because you donít' view gimme red zone targets as a fair opportunity doesn't mean everyone needs to share that opinion.  Had Janis not dropped that TD he may very well have seen the field more.  Itís the NFL, players usually have to earn their way on the field.  I donít' get the idea that playing time is just an entitlement.  The idea that the last guy on the depth chart deserves just as many snaps or more than the first guy is crazy to me. 

Let this wait till next year as pounding your chest to act if you are in some way vindicated for wanting our most productive WR on the bench for the vast majority of a game isn't doing anyone any good.  I just wish you were willing to ignore some of James Jone's games like you are Jeff Janis's.  Your opinion of how terrible he is would surely change as James Jones very likely saved our season.

This will be my last response about this as you aren't bringing anything new to the conversation.  You can feel vindicated all you want
Ditto. Cheech's boy had plenty of opportunities in the regular season and did squat. It's absurd to think he would have opened up the offense when he already showed when he was in there that he couldn't do it.

Why is it absurd?  He opened up the offense in 40 snaps vs. a top 5 defense in the playoffs.

It's absurd to suggest that he was given a legitimate shot to establish himself.  It's absurd to claim that what he did in the playoffs he was incapable of doing 2 months ago.

What often goes
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
....It's absurd to claim that what he did in the playoffs he was incapable of doing 2 months ago.

True. 

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »
What the heck, its Friday night so why not contribute to the thread that will not die....

The thing overlooked with a guy like Janis is that if you are very limited in the routes you run, after a few games teams figure out your limitations and defend it.  I could probably cover a guy if I know all he runs is a slant and a go route.  If Janis played a bunch earlier in the season, there is no guarantee he keeps getting better.  with adequate film, maybe he gets owned by the defensive back.

A lot of criticism of McCarthy, but he got the team to the playoffs, got the better wild card situation against a weak defense in better weather and went into the meat of the playoffs with Abredaris and Janis as wildcards lacking scout film for the opposition to study.

It is not what the fans wanted, and may have been dumb luck, but it worked out reasonably well to bring those two along slowly.

And just to beat a dead horse a bit more, it isn't certain that Janis gets more reps next year.  He needs to work hard this off season and come to camp prepared to win his spot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:20:10 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »
The "earn it" concept is good, but I think there is the question of opportunity.  Once the season starts, they rarely do hard, padded practices, and they almost never scrimmage.  The last two weeks of camp, very little.  "Gotta earn it in practice", I wonder how much that's even possible once you get within two weeks of the season. 

Once the coaches decide in early August, for a lot of positions it's kind of hard to "compete" and pass a guy who's ahead.  Depends on the position group; some that rotate players more, a guy will get game action and can earn more play. 

Gunter played really well in Washington; and he played really well in camp.  Maybe he was practicing badly all year, but most likely he was as fine in practice as he was in camp and in Washington; just didn't get an opportunity.  David Johnson was #3 guy in Az for most of year.  Maybe he was practicing badly, but probably he just needed the injuries to get a chance.  Was Janis practicing kickoff returns badly in practice?  Most likely he just needed injuries to give him the chance. 

Janis did get some snaps, and he blew a couple of them (throw in Oakland; and a deep throw Detroit? that he lost track of the ball and slowed down.) But most of Janis's snaps were as a blocker, or as a deep-threat on running plays.  He got few actual receiving opportunities; and even when he wasn't blocking he tended to be either low on Rodgers's check-down list, or else deep balls with which Rodgers struggles with accuracy.

Its not just practice but in the games as well.  Janis seen more than 2 games worth of snaps in passing situations where he was running routes.  Against Oakland, he seen just over 10% of AR12's targets yet wasn't able to provide 1 single catch. Not only did he not get a catch, he dropped 2 balls that should have been routine. Some will point to that game and say he wasn't given a fair opportunity because he didn't get Julio Jones or Antonio Brown type targets.  I'd image that most #4 WRs around the NFL would kill for the opportunity to get 10% of his QB's targets in a game.  Its no surprise that his playing time dropped after that as he clearly was not earning it.  Some fans may be able to ignore games like that, but no quality coaching staff is going to. 

Oakland was less than 2 months ago and he clearly looked incapable of doing what he did in the playoffs.  I don't agree that's a given that he could have did what he did in the playoffs 2 months ago. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:31:20 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2016, 07:00:43 PM »
What the heck, its Friday night so why not contribute to the thread that will not die....

You nailed it. I mean seriously. How many different microscopes does this have to go under until we've got a handle on things?
What is the huge mystery with Jeff Janis? I think I've read the same people saying the same things about 20 different ways - but its the same thing (!!!) - going all the way back to the "James Jones should be benched" stuff.

Give it a break people. You're not saying anything different than you've been saying for weeks - and you're not going to convince anybody of anything if you havent already.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »
 deadhorse) just exactly what are you saying leader? deadhorse) it's hard to understand in the midst of all this horse beating that's going on in this thread  deadhorse)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:50:46 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2016, 03:40:35 AM »

Why is it absurd?  He opened up the offense in 40 snaps vs. a top 5 defense in the playoffs.

It's absurd to suggest that he was given a legitimate shot to establish himself.  It's absurd to claim that what he did in the playoffs he was incapable of doing 2 months ago.

What often goes
It''s absurd because he had over 70 snaps in the regular season and didn't open squat.  Your boy was given a legitimate chance to establish himself. He didn't do squat with the snaps he got in the regular season no matter how you try to ignore it and continue to make your absurd claims.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2016, 03:42:37 AM »
Its not just practice but in the games as well.  Janis seen more than 2 games worth of snaps in passing situations where he was running routes.  Against Oakland, he seen just over 10% of AR12's targets yet wasn't able to provide 1 single catch. Not only did he not get a catch, he dropped 2 balls that should have been routine. Some will point to that game and say he wasn't given a fair opportunity because he didn't get Julio Jones or Antonio Brown type targets.  I'd image that most #4 WRs around the NFL would kill for the opportunity to get 10% of his QB's targets in a game.  Its no surprise that his playing time dropped after that as he clearly was not earning it.  Some fans may be able to ignore games like that, but no quality coaching staff is going to. 

Oakland was less than 2 months ago and he clearly looked incapable of doing what he did in the playoffs.  I don't agree that's a given that he could have did what he did in the playoffs 2 months ago.
Exactly.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2016, 05:59:18 AM »
Beyond his parents, Jeff Janis isn't any one's boy. He is a hard working, talented young man, who has worked his ass off to defy the odds and make it in the NFL as a late 7th round draft pick from Saginaw Valley State.

Jeff Janis is a Green Bay Packer, who has NOT done anything to deserve the scorn or disrespect some seem to need to keep returning to in this thread, No poster has ever said he is an All-Pro, All-World, All-Pro Stud... Is it so hard to tip your hat and give some well earned respect?

What has he done so far??? Distinguish himself as an outstanding special teams player, and a guy who shocked the World by almost single handedly carrying the Packers to an improbable road playoff victory with a historic performance. Most thought the healthier, rested Arizona Cardinals with two weeks to prepare would kill the physically battered Packers coming off a short week road playoff win.

cpk, you are a Packers fan, for god sake stop embarrassing yourself. Like most your prediction that Jeff would do squat in this playoff game was wrong. You were not alone in being wrong, because his performance was shockingly outstanding. Instead of saying "wow, what a great surprise ..." you have gone on and on about how it means nothing and how you have to keep saying Janis sucks because of everyone else. Stop it!!! You are better than this. SSG and others who seem to be similarly struggling with this topic may want to consider this as well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:00:58 AM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2016, 10:58:14 AM »
This thread has really grown old and stale with the same/similar comments.

IMHO of course.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2016, 06:00:43 AM »
Beyond his parents, Jeff Janis isn't any one's boy. He is a hard working, talented young man, who has worked his ass off to defy the odds and make it in the NFL as a late 7th round draft pick from Saginaw Valley State.

Jeff Janis is a Green Bay Packer, who has NOT done anything to deserve the scorn or disrespect some seem to need to keep returning to in this thread, No poster has ever said he is an All-Pro, All-World, All-Pro Stud... Is it so hard to tip your hat and give some well earned respect?
You don't have to explicitly say it to believe it.  There are those that state, despite the fact that Janis did absolutely nothing with the 70+ snaps he got, that Janis would have opened up the offense if given a shot. Well the tone in that implies the "All-Pro, All-World, All-Pro Stud" moniker. Why is it so hard for those people to accept that Janis had showed in the regular season he couldn't open up the offense when he actually was playing? More snaps wasn't magivcally going to make him open up the offense at that point.

What has he done so far??? Distinguish himself as an outstanding special teams player, and a guy who shocked the World by almost single handedly carrying the Packers to an improbable road playoff victory with a historic performance. Most thought the healthier, rested Arizona Cardinals with two weeks to prepare would kill the physically battered Packers coming off a short week road playoff win.
Nobody thought Arizona would kill Green Bay. Every single talking head out there stated that the game would be close and that it would be crazy to expect another blowout.

cpk, you are a Packers fan, for god sake stop embarrassing yourself. Like most your prediction that Jeff would do squat in this playoff game was wrong. You were not alone in being wrong, because his performance was shockingly outstanding. Instead of saying "wow, what a great surprise ..." you have gone on and on about how it means nothing and how you have to keep saying Janis sucks because of everyone else. Stop it!!! You are better than this. SSG and others who seem to be similarly struggling with this topic may want to consider this as well.
Despite you once again trolling and stirring the pot as you always do, I will respond. I am not embarrassing myself because I am not wrong. I never said Janis sucked. I said that he is a terrible route runner and a guy who Aaron Rodgers and the coaching staff don't trust. That was absolutely correct all regular season long. One game where his numbers are inflated because of two hail mary plays doesn't change that.  He needs to produce consistently when he is on the field over the course of at least one season. He needs to improve his route running. He needs to improve his instincts.

The only thing that needs to stop is your tiresome trolling and pot stirring.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
Short final response cpk - I really was inviting you to get out of this corner you have painted yourself into.

Everyone acknowledges Janis needs to learn a great deal and earn more trust. You are arguing with yourself and being hyperbolic and obsessive in the process. I have no desire to argue with you. I was trying to engage you in real discussion - instead I will simply ignore you going forward. It is too bad, because I know you to a passionate Packers fan with something to offer when you get out of your own way. Good luck!
-Vince Lombardi

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
Short final response cpk - I really was inviting you to get out of this corner you have painted yourself into.

Everyone acknowledges Janis needs to learn a great deal and earn more trust. You are arguing with yourself and being hyperbolic and obsessive in the process. I have no desire to argue with you. I was trying to engage you in real discussion - instead I will simply ignore you going forward. It is too bad, because I know you to a passionate Packers fan with something to offer when you get out of your own way. Good luck!
I am not in a corner. All you are doing is trolling and pot stirring. Enough.

There are those that don't acknowledge those things. There are those that insist Janis is being held down by the coaches and Rodgers while being an all-world stud if he was just allowed to play all the while ignoring the fact they gave him several opportunities over the season and he didn't do squat with them.

I will no longer respond to your trolling.