November 20, 2017, 03:25:58 AM

Author Topic: How many catches will Jeff Janis get?  (Read 21775 times)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: How many catches will Jeff Janis get?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
I don't have high expectations of him against Arizona, but what he has shown us is when he does get the ball in his hands he is dynamic and makes things happen.
But that is on ST. Al he has to do there is run. He doesn't need to be real disciplined. That is nowhere near all he has to do as a WR. The fact is he has played over 70 snaps at WR and has done nothing. He hasn't made anything happen. That is because he is terrible at running routes, has no instincts or technique. That isn't going to change magically on Saturday.

No, but if he is out there defenses have to respect his speed just in case he does get it.  With our WR corps depleted so we don't have a lot of options, do we?

Can we afford to pull a WR or TE off the field for a guy who is nothing more than a decoy?  I think the idea that teams are changing their coverage or scheme because of Jeff Janis and only Jeff Janis is rather ridiculous. 

An example of just how terrible of a route runner Jeff Janis is.  There is a reason a great athlete isn't on the field and its because of a lot of routes just like this one.  He's as lost on a field as you'll see a WR that's on an active roster. 

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/670763089336356865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »

An example of just how terrible of a route runner Jeff Janis is.  There is a reason a great athlete isn't on the field and its because of a lot of routes just like this one.  He's as lost on a field as you'll see a WR that's on an active roster. 

Just my opinion, but that's not a good example of poor route running at all. It could be an example of Janis or Cobb running the wrong route, or it could be just another example of some of the Green Bay play designs that for some reason end up with two receivers in the same spot. We've seen a lot of those this year. Without seeing the rest of that play, it's tough to form an opinion on that. Was Cobb and Janis' job on that play simply to clear out the flat? If that was the case, Janis kept 2 guys 15-20 yards away from the flat.

I'm not saying Janis runs great routes, but that's a terrible example of poor route running.

The video also cuts out right before Janis appears to be stopping to turn up field and block the safety. The defenders are all clearly heading to the flat before Janis stops the route.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »
In the video,  look, h
In the video look at the distance it takes Janis to make the cut.  He starts at the 19 and rounds in out to the 22 1/2 or so.  That wont get it done in the NFL.  Its about the cuts with him.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 11:58:09 AM »
If Janis cuts that route tighter, him and Cobb are even more on top of each other than they are. Without seeing the entire context of that play, you don't know what they're trying to accomplish right there. It's pretty clear that it was a quick route to the left flat. If Janis is supposed to cut that route tighter, that's an idiotic play design that stacks Cobb and Janis right on top of each other more than they were. I still think that was a design to open up something in the flats. Possibly a screen or a short flat route to R. Rodgers. Basing Janis' route running on that particular play is a poor example. Just my opinion, but I stick by it. I'm not calling him a good route runner. I've seen every one of his home snaps from the stands in Lambeau and also on the All 22 views from my computer.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »

I fully agree Janis is not a good route runner, but he's more open on that pass than any GB receiver has been in weeks.  I'm not clamoring for him to be on the field but heck, why isn't he if no one else can get a yard of separation?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
Does everyone realize Patrick Peterson is as fast or faster than Jeff Janis and as big but oh, he's much more talented and would probably be matched up against him. Then it becomes a non-starter, you always look away from Peterson's side of the field.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
Just my opinion, but that's not a good example of poor route running at all. It could be an example of Janis or Cobb running the wrong route, or it could be just another example of some of the Green Bay play designs that for some reason end up with two receivers in the same spot. We've seen a lot of those this year. Without seeing the rest of that play, it's tough to form an opinion on that. Was Cobb and Janis' job on that play simply to clear out the flat? If that was the case, Janis kept 2 guys 15-20 yards away from the flat.

I'm not saying Janis runs great routes, but that's a terrible example of poor route running.

The video also cuts out right before Janis appears to be stopping to turn up field and block the safety. The defenders are all clearly heading to the flat before Janis stops the route.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.  He attempted a terrible double move (or fake) and rounded the route off by veering to the outside then cutting (if you could call that a cut) to the inside.  There was absolutely no crispness with the cut and he looked like he was about to fall over himself despite not getting touched.  I can't imagine that the coaching staff agrees with your assessment that that wasn't a bad route.  Judging by Cobb's route, it was likely supposed to be a post.  Janis's route basically took him and Cobb out of the play as I doubt the intention was to have Cobb and Janis within 2 yards of and on top of each other.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »

Yeah, I guess you would argue that this is a lazy receiver too (above and below) ::)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000385393/Q2-Scott-Tolzien-throws-33-yard-touchdown-pass-to-Jeff-Janis

Below is Jeff taking the top of off a defense that makes the mistake of single coverage
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Green-Bay-Packers-WR-Jeff-Janis-scores-22-yard-TD/c8c05067-0a2b-4995-a4c0-99f91acb1443
I know when Davante Adams watched it he said of Jeff Janis: "That dude is fast!"
And of which Aaron Rodgers said, Hes athletic. Hes fast. He ran his route, caught a ball and outran everybody today...."

He seems to sell the the route, the go and catch the ball on the one below
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000518185/Jeff-Janis-27-yard-TD-catch

And just for fun I thought I would throw this one out there for those who want to believe he is stiff and lazy :o
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000385387/Q3-Jeff-Janis-61-yard-kickoff-return

Look, Jeff is as green as grass, and that certainly opens him up to critique, but to parrot some of the stupid stuff about his athleticism and work ethic make you look either silly or lacking in football knowledge.

Just sayin...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:59:41 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »
B, I think it's kind of unfair to use preseason clips as evidence, especially when we're not only in regular season games but the playoffs.  Janis is a preseason stud but has trouble getting on the field against 1st stringers.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
Except that has nothing to do with the route in the video.  Whether he ran it in practice, pre-season, or the Super Bowl it still proves he can run routes.  My guess is MM and/or AR have issues with his consistency.  It's not like he's stumbling around on every snap like he never played football before. 

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »
B, I think it's kind of unfair to use preseason clips as evidence, especially when we're not only in regular season games but the playoffs.  Janis is a preseason stud but has trouble getting on the field against 1st stringers.

Agree...aren't clips from last year?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 02:26:22 PM »
Except that has nothing to do with the route in the video.  Whether he ran it in practice, pre-season, or the Super Bowl it still proves he can run routes.  My guess is MM and/or AR have issues with his consistency.  It's not like he's stumbling around on every snap like he never played football before. 

EXACTLY VOR!!!

Aaron demands consistency, and rightfully so.

JJ is raw, and not running precise routes that Aaron trusts, it is lack of development, not lack of ability.

For Christ sake, his 20 yard shuttle is best of Packer WR's and would have tied for the best at the combine this year.
Further, Jeff Janis' 6.64 3-Cone dwarfs his fellow WR's Jared Abbrederis  6.80, Davante Adams  6.82, T. Montgomery  6.97, Jordy Nelson  7.03, Randall Cobb  7.08

Folks who are trying to sell that he cannot cut sharply leave me shaking my head shaking.

bb: I would have posted his 48 yard catch from this regular season game, but I could not find a single video, that did not make you watch all of SD highlights as well.

Once again, I do NOT have high hopes for a breakout on Saturday night, but with his physical ability I wouldn't bet against it either.

Finally, here is the consensus scouting report on him from the combine:

STRENGTHS Exceptional measurables and leaping ability -- will test through the roof. Accelerates into routes quickly and can separate vertically and uncover underneath working short-to-intermediate zones. Terrific production -- carves up lesser competition and creates chunk plays. Good red-zone target. Exceptional work ethic. Outstanding football character. Very passionate about the game.

WEAKNESSES Has very small, inconsistent hands -- will cradle the ball and use his body. Is not a nuanced route runner. Does not attack the ball in the air and will give up some break points. Not strong after the catch and will look for a soft landing spot. Can be fazed by traffic. Regularly faced Division II competition. Not a consistent blocker -- does not play to his size. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:49:01 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »

The first three, the WR clips, are from the preseason, though I forget which year.  The kickoff return is from the regular season but no one is debating his abilities as a returner

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »

No, only one is from last year (and the kick return is from this regular season). And if we are going to use real data, you have to use the film that exists. What we have instead is SSG using one sample and lots of ill informed evaluation without any substantiation. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:36:27 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 02:30:24 PM »

Well, the degree of technical difficulty with that preseason clip doesnt look all too daunting.
Just get this kid the ball somewhere. Let him do the rest....preferably of the 80yrd variety!