November 20, 2017, 03:26:11 AM

Author Topic: Will TT/MM change?  (Read 5640 times)

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
Re: Will TT/MM change?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »
Yea, I if anything I read into those comments that MM will hopefully really push TT to address my #2 point above.  Who knows, maybe TT doesn't need convincing.  My only fear is that I hope they're not pinning all their hopes on RR becoming that threat.  It sure looks like he's already at his ceiling.

Janis could also be one of those guys MM is talking about.  It's all on JJ now to improve and gain the confidence of MM and AR.  No matter what any of us think about JJ, all that matters is what MM/AR think of him. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
It's all on JJ now to improve and gain the confidence of MM and AR. No matter what any of us think about JJ, all that matters is what MM/AR think of him. 

Entirely correct.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:31 PM »

I don' t think so... rather, I think he is stating the obvious. The Packers didn't have a TE to challenge the middle of the field, and the young wide receivers failed to fill Jordy's sizable shoes.I hear no excuses in what Mike said, and I certainly see no evidence of him indicating there will be no change.

This is an article that prefaced what you quote with:

"Jordy Nelson's absence wasn't the only problem. Rodgers didn't play up to his typical, two-time NFL MVP standards. Injuries battered the offensive line. The running game wasn't consistent.

McCarthy also saw a hole up the middle..."

In the days (4) since losing in the desert he has fired the TE and running back coaches, issued challenges to multiple players and just begun his extensive evaluation process.

I think you're trying to hard to see things between the lines and perhaps “cannot see the forest for the trees” after the sudden and bitter loss in overtime to end another season and another run at #14...

Where was the part of the article where McCarthy took any responsibility for the offensive struggles? I missed that part because any good leader would have surely done that. Oh, that's right, he took no responsibility.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »
Speaking of Favre - one of his best statistical seasons was at the end of his career - when he took Minny to the NFC Championship.
True, but the year after that he realized he couldn't take the physical punishment anymore and finally had to retire - for good, this time.

By the way, that Minnesota team had Adrien Peterson and really only needed a quarterback to make a run for a Super Bowl.  That's why I never really held it against Favre that much for playing for the Vikings - it was his best chance for getting another ring.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »

By the way, that Minnesota team had Adrien Peterson and really only needed a quarterback to make a run for a Super Bowl.  That's why I never really held it against Favre that much for playing for the Vikings - it was his best chance for getting another ring.

thumbsup) He probably would have won one if it werent for the dirty saints.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »

Where was the part of the article where McCarthy took any responsibility for the offensive struggles? I missed that part because any good leader would have surely done that. Oh, that's right, he took no responsibility.

clap) clap) clap) hatsoff)
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »
Here is a direct quote from Mike McCarthy, "I think our offense needs to get going.  It starts with me." Mike has said this or something like this after nearly every loss.

No MM doesn't 2nd guess every decision he makes, but he evaluated and holds accountable players and coaches - starting with himself. In his evaluation period he asks for feedback from everyone involved.

There are things I could criticize about Mike McCarthy, but his willingness to take responsibility is NOT one of them. It has been key to his success as a marginally talented athlete as a player, and as a coach who rose from nowhere to holding one of the premier coaching jobs in football.

Find me a single person who knows Mike well or has even worked for or with him that believes he does not accept responsibility and I will entertain your claim - I can find plenty of folks who say just the opposite of your claim, but not a single one that has ever said anything remotely close to your allegation - not even from those he has fired. 
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »
Until he says: "It's my fault and I should be fired...." - it wont quiet these whispers. They've been around - going around - for a lonnnnngggg time - based on "eyewash issues" - regardless of the teams success. Struggles of this year have done nothing but provide fuel to these fires. Oh well.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
After the Broncos game he said "I never got my (butt) kicked that bad before."  Emphasis on "I"

To me, it really doesn't matter what he says publicly.  Every coach, Head Coach and otherwise, feels responsible after a loss or a season that doesn't end the way they wanted.  Some voice that more often than others (Rex Ryan comes to mind.)

My issue with MM is he stubborn.  "This is the way I do things, this is the way WE do things...just need to execute better."  For the most part, that's a good thing- but I think it can also have a negative effect.  Please don't ask for PROOF that he's stubborn, it's just my opinion based on over 10 years of hearing him and watching what they do. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »

No proof necessary - and he may very well be stubborn. I cant say and really dont care.
Could be a reason for his success - besides, its an ancillary issue - a "trait" - secondary to the overall - i.e. results. Wins / Losses.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 06:31:41 PM »
I don't think Mike is opposed to change.  Last offseason is exhibit A.  He fired his ST assistant, shuffled his offensive assistants jobs and gave up play calling so he could concentrate on all of the aspects of the team.  Now this year he canned 2 more assistants.  I hope along with replacing these 2 coaches he addresses the QB/WR situation and hires/appoints a separate WR coach.  I have a feeling our young WRs' development might have been hampered by having Van Pelt stretched too thin because he had too much on his plate.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
Maybe his stubbornness is a reason for his success.  But I think you can look a this past season and point to inflexibility hurting us in places.  Maybe it was a positive overall. 

He showed a willingness to change during the offseason.  Some have said he has not been good at half time adjustments, and then we have this season where some might argue he didn't adjust to the talent on the field.  Maybe he adjusts, but is just slow to adjust.  I can see this, and I like McCarthy.

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
Based on this article McCarthy won't be changing anything.

A couple coaching moves/vacancies, and that'll be it. TT and MM believe in their system nd I don't see them changing much, even if they start losing. This season will be,seen as an outlier with all the injuries.
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »
I don't think Mike is opposed to change.  Last offseason is exhibit A.  He fired his ST assistant, shuffled his offensive assistants jobs and gave up play calling so he could concentrate on all of the aspects of the team.  Now this year he canned 2 more assistants.  I hope along with replacing these 2 coaches he addresses the QB/WR situation and hires/appoints a separate WR coach.  I have a feeling our young WRs' development might have been hampered by having Van Pelt stretched too thin because he had too much on his plate.

If it hadn't been for losing Jordy in preseason, Cobb playing injured for much of the season, Adams being hurt much of the season, and losing Montgomery in the 5th week..................having Van Pelt oversee QB/WR's might have worked out just fine since there was leadership at the top with Jordy & Randall, and (because of one position coach for both groups) there would have been good communication/shared info between the QB group and WR group, which is so essential in the Packer offense.

Sadly, after/as the injuries started to pile up, there was little that could be done to help the young'uns. The die was cast.

Offline Bud

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »

If it hadn't been for losing Jordy in preseason, Cobb playing injured for much of the season, Adams being hurt much of the season, and losing Montgomery in the 5th week..................having Van Pelt oversee QB/WR's might have worked out just fine since there was leadership at the top with Jordy & Randall, and (because of one position coach for both groups) there would have been good communication/shared info between the QB group and WR group, which is so essential in the Packer offense.

Sadly, after/as the injuries started to pile up, there was little that could be done to help the young'uns. The die was cast.

good post but I have wondered why, in the first place, did they combine duties? What, from a coaching standpoint or organizational standpoint, did they hope to achieve?
“Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” ~ Dan Gable