November 19, 2017, 08:20:55 AM

Author Topic: Hack McGinn Just Can't Help Himself  (Read 9714 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Hack McGinn Just Can't Help Himself
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:51:57 AM »
I'll put this here because it really isn't news, but here is Hack's latest piece of drivel:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/blame-for-underachieving-season-falls-on-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson-b99656523z1-366325731.html

Hack needs to get himself a GM or Head Coaching job because he clearly believes he is better at it than TT/MM. Of course, this clown has the benefit of hindsight and is making these declarations based on that and while admitting he has no clue what happened at practice for most of the time. I mean, if these moves were so clearly needed to be made, why didn't this idiot bring them up at the relevant time? Nowhere does he mention all the injuries that piled up. That failure alone means his "article" has no credibility.  Any human with a brain can see that all the injuries are the big reason for why the team "underachieved", to use his word. I would call this last season "underachieving" with all the injuries that piled up.

I have never seen a "reporter"  so desperate for web hits/newspaper buys than Hack. The JSO needs to fire this clown and get someone to objectively cover the team, not one who has a clear bias against the team and uses said bias to skew the facts in an effort to troll readers for attention. Hell, get Rob Demovsky, who has shown to be a hell of a lot more objective as a ESPN reporter than this clown.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:01:43 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: Hack McGinn Just Can't Help Himself
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
This wasn't a journalistic piece, it was an opinion piece.   Because people are responding to click-baits such as this McGinn isn't going any where.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »
Any time the language starts with BLAME I immediately know that the article lacks credibility.

Responsibility and accountability are important, but blame is a lazy persons way of skipping over real evaluation IMO
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
This wasn't a journalistic piece, it was an opinion piece.   Because people are responding to click-baits such as this McGinn isn't going any where.
It was an "opinion piece" designed to further his bias and offered nothing of substance because it outright ignored things that were the real reason for the way the season went and, if were actually taken into account, show they actually did not underachieve. It is an act of desperation that this clown is still allowed to write for that rag. Just about any other writer that covers the Packers is better than this clown.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
I'll put this here........

Good decision!  :)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
sounds like it had a good enough ring to it to ruffle the panties of people who dare never allow a critique of the Packers.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
Once again a great piece by Mc Ginn.  He hits the nail right on the head as he usually does.  The idea of draft and develop is fading fast in the win now league and until TT begins to at least entertain adding veteran's or investigating trades, the outcome will continue to be the same as this season.  Short handed in some positions and those spots are exploited by other teams.  No back up left tackle - no field stretching TE - no ILB depth - all were areas of shortcomings this season.  And when the WR group fell apart, instead of moving to find someone, he sits on his hands. 

As far as MM goes, his re-organization of the coaching staff was a disaster.  To feel the WR's didn't need a coach dedicated just to them is in-excusable.  To give up play-calling - something that he has had success at - to oversee what?  A defense he basically has allowed Capers to run  and has been hands off.  His input certainly didn't make this years defense any better.  His handling of the personnel left a lot of head scratching as Mc Ginn pointed out. 

But as with every year, the Packers will be among the quietest teams when it comes to fee agency and will enter next season with questions at certain positions and TT will turn to an un-drafted free agent to provide depth rather than a veteran. 

For some, it is ok and we know those that give TT and MM free passes because of a Super Bowl win 6 years ago.  Apparently that is good enough for them.  Watch the 4 teams in the Championship games today and look at the key veterans added to get them over the hump.  It is time for the free passes to come to an end.  When this organization pockets millions of dollars each year, it is time to dip into that and compete for a Super Bowl again, not just a playoff appearance. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Once again a great piece by Mc Ginn.  He hits the nail right on the head as he usually does.  The idea of draft and develop is fading fast in the win now league and until TT begins to at least entertain adding veteran's or investigating trades, the outcome will continue to be the same as this season.  Short handed in some positions and those spots are exploited by other teams.  No back up left tackle - no field stretching TE - no ILB depth - all were areas of shortcomings this season.  And when the WR group fell apart, instead of moving to find someone, he sits on his hands. 

As far as MM goes, his re-organization of the coaching staff was a disaster.  To feel the WR's didn't need a coach dedicated just to them is in-excusable.  To give up play-calling - something that he has had success at - to oversee what?  A defense he basically has allowed Capers to run  and has been hands off.  His input certainly didn't make this years defense any better.  His handling of the personnel left a lot of head scratching as Mc Ginn pointed out. 

But as with every year, the Packers will be among the quietest teams when it comes to fee agency and will enter next season with questions at certain positions and TT will turn to an un-drafted free agent to provide depth rather than a veteran. 

For some, it is ok and we know those that give TT and MM free passes because of a Super Bowl win 6 years ago.  Apparently that is good enough for them.  Watch the 4 teams in the Championship games today and look at the key veterans added to get them over the hump.  It is time for the free passes to come to an end.  When this organization pockets millions of dollars each year, it is time to dip into that and compete for a Super Bowl again, not just a playoff appearance.

I think calling this season "a disaster" is a little bit hyperbolic.  Our offensive line and WR corps got beat up and Rodgers had an off year and we still made the playoffs.  I don't think this team is in the dire straights that a lot of people do.  We are all disappointed we didn't go deeper into the playoffs but it isn't like the team is sinking into oblivion.  We have a good core of players, an elite QB and we only have 2 or 3 glaring weaknesses to address this offseason.  Winning the SB isn't easy.  A lot of folks thought NE would be back in that game again this year but they fell 2 points short.  Seattle struggled at times this year and got bounced out when we did.  Would you consider these teams' seasons a disaster?  Only one team is happy when the season is over. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
Any time the language starts with BLAME I immediately know that the article lacks credibility.

Responsibility and accountability are important, but blame is a lazy persons way of skipping over real evaluation IMO

B, the author of an article doesn't write the headline. That job goes to the copy editors.

Now, I've read the article, and McGinn makes some very strong points.

1. The offense imploded, and there were no answers.
2. Ranking 31st on first downs, 28th on third downs and 25th overall? With Rodgers at QB? Totally unacceptable.
3. Why did MM give up playcalling duties? As McGinn asks, did he really need to oversee Zook on ST or Capers on D? And how much of the lack of rhythm/creativity in the offense can be blamed on Clements lack of play calling ability? And for those who want to blame the WR's
4. As McGinn points out, Adams was having a terrible year. Yet, he was kept on the field. Why not try Abbredaris or Janis? Many on here were asking exactly the same question.
5. Why did it take so long for Jake Ryan to see the field? Again, this subject, with either Ryan or Thomas playing more regularly was questioned.
6. Are MM and TT too set in their ways? VOR asked exactly that question in this same R&V section. He asked some challenging and interesting questions, and has sparked a spirited and interesting debate. McGinn asks the same questions, and backs up his queries with specific facts.
7. The continued use of Barclay on the OL was a disaster. He showed he couldn't competently play tackle last year. So, he is put on the field at LT to replace Bakhtiari? Did this make any sense to anyone? Granted, we, nor McGinn is at every practice or spends a lot of time with the players, but what made the coaching staff believe this was a good idea, when it was apparent it was a terrible idea.

I found McGinn's comparison of the Packers and Atlanta Braves both apt and frightening. Always the bridesmaid (or at least in the wedding party), never the bride. The past two seasons, the Packers found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. In Seattle, it was a total meltdown in the final four minutes. Against the Cardinals, the team just didn't have that "killer instinct' to put the game away in the fourth quarter.

So what is the answer? McGinn for the second time has pointed a finger TT and his unwillingness to address team weaknesses outside the confines of the team. As noted, draft and develop is an excellent way to build a winner, but some flexibility in thinking would be welcome. TT used to do this, bringing in mid-level FA's to try to address specific needs. Sometimes they worked, sometimes not. But, with the window of opportunity closing on Rodgers' best years, some small changes should at least be considered if this team is going to hoist the Lombardi again in the AR era.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 07:32:20 PM »
I said that his re-organization of the coaching staff was a disaster, not the teams record.  It was a poor decision and one that didn't make a lot of sense.  MM essentially out-smarted himself and put the WR's in a bad position.  Hopefully he addresses that and brings in someone. 

Seattle and New England have won that past two Super Bowls and build their teams with a combination of draft and adding veteran free agents or trades to shore up their weaknesses.  And heading into next season, who are going to be 2 of the 4 or 5 favorites to win Super Bowl 51?  Seattle and New England.  They do not believe in the philosophy of "next year."  It is "this year."  New England will not have a 1st round pick in the draft, but they will end up adding someone at some point to compensate for that. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »

I think calling this season "a disaster" is a little bit hyperbolic.  Our offensive line and WR corps got beat up and Rodgers had an off year and we still made the playoffs.  I don't think this team is in the dire straights that a lot of people do.  We are all disappointed we didn't go deeper into the playoffs but it isn't like the team is sinking into oblivion.  We have a good core of players, an elite QB and we only have 2 or 3 glaring weaknesses to address this offseason.  Winning the SB isn't easy.  A lot of folks thought NE would be back in that game again this year but they fell 2 points short.  Seattle struggled at times this year and got bounced out when we did.  Would you consider these teams' seasons a disaster?  Only one team is happy when the season is over.

Hard to compare us to those teams though.  Each of this teams have a SB in the last 2 years and were in the game last year.  We haven't been able to make the game muchness win it since 2010. 

We also got swept by our division at home.  Any season that has home losses to terrible teams like Detroit and Chicago, I'd consider a disaster.  Hell, we were one of the worst penalties in the league this year and a miracle hail merry from getting swept this year by Detroit.  Detroit looked like the substantially better team for that vast majority of the 8 quarters we faced them this year.

I'd have been a little happier with a NFCN title but we got outclassed at home when it mattered. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »

B, the author of an article doesn't write the headline. That job goes to the copy editors.

Now, I've read the article, and McGinn makes some very strong points.

1. The offense imploded, and there were no answers.
2. Ranking 31st on first downs, 28th on third downs and 25th overall? With Rodgers at QB? Totally unacceptable.
3. Why did MM give up playcalling duties? As McGinn asks, did he really need to oversee Zook on ST or Capers on D? And how much of the lack of rhythm/creativity in the offense can be blamed on Clements lack of play calling ability? And for those who want to blame the WR's
4. As McGinn points out, Adams was having a terrible year. Yet, he was kept on the field. Why not try Abbredaris or Janis? Many on here were asking exactly the same question.
5. Why did it take so long for Jake Ryan to see the field? Again, this subject, with either Ryan or Thomas playing more regularly was questioned.
6. Are MM and TT too set in their ways? VOR asked exactly that question in this same R&V section. He asked some challenging and interesting questions, and has sparked a spirited and interesting debate. McGinn asks the same questions, and backs up his queries with specific facts.
7. The continued use of Barclay on the OL was a disaster. He showed he couldn't competently play tackle last year. So, he is put on the field at LT to replace Bakhtiari? Did this make any sense to anyone? Granted, we, nor McGinn is at every practice or spends a lot of time with the players, but what made the coaching staff believe this was a good idea, when it was apparent it was a terrible idea.

I found McGinn's comparison of the Packers and Atlanta Braves both apt and frightening. Always the bridesmaid (or at least in the wedding party), never the bride. The past two seasons, the Packers found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. In Seattle, it was a total meltdown in the final four minutes. Against the Cardinals, the team just didn't have that "killer instinct' to put the game away in the fourth quarter.

So what is the answer? McGinn for the second time has pointed a finger TT and his unwillingness to address team weaknesses outside the confines of the team. As noted, draft and develop is an excellent way to build a winner, but some flexibility in thinking would be welcome. TT used to do this, bringing in mid-level FA's to try to address specific needs. Sometimes they worked, sometimes not. But, with the window of opportunity closing on Rodgers' best years, some small changes should at least be considered if this team is going to hoist the Lombardi again in the AR era.

First, let me start by saying it is not me who rails on McGinn - that honor goes to cpk, so perhaps your comments should be directed to him. I have read him for years and still do, but always with a grain of salt on his sources and his football judgement. He is however a decent writer and occasionally works hard at his craft.

I'm on St Thomas, so I am not going to waste time answering your list, but instead will speak to a place that he does draw my wrath - Bob Mcginn is being used as a source for the following by Florio and others:

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel drops this bombshell near the bottom of a postmortem on Green Bay’s season: “According to several sources, McCarthy is fed up with his boss’ unwillingness to take a chance and reinforce the roster with veteran players that might be unknown to the Packers but have the talent to contribute.”

So we should assume that Mike will be turning in his resignation any moment right? These unnamed sources aren't saying Mike McCarthy is expressing frustration, they are asserting that he is running around saying he is "fed up." If indeed this is true he needs to quit or be fired. Coming to your boss and expressing frustration is welcomed in the business - mouthing off and slandering them behind there back is cowardly and undermining.

I think it is once again Bob McGinn is making crap up - and is doing so in a reckless way that affects peoples lives.

This allegation does not in any way reflect Mike McCarthy's MO in any way, shape. or form.

But you can count on Bob to hide behind protecting his anonymous sources - though my guess is they about as credible as Joe Arrigo ::)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:48:07 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »
These unnamed sources aren't saying Mike McCarthy is expressing frustration, they are asserting that he is running around saying he is "fed up." If indeed this is true he needs to quit or be fired. Coming to your boss and expressing frustration is welcomed in the business - mouthing off and slandering them behind there back is cowardly and undermining.

He's not necessarily doing it behind TT's back, if this is even true at all.  My guess is the truth is probably somewhere in between.  IF MM is upset about this, I would bet everything he has let TT know about it.  I really can't see him just sniping behind his back.

I would also bet the source is E Wolf, or someone close to him.  There are people who are angling to get Wolf into the GM role. 

Look at it this way.  Would it make sense MM would want more talent on the field?  Sure, any HC would.  So, to some degree I'm sure he is frustrated.  The question is HOW frustrated, and how much time (if any) does he spend grumbling about it?  McGinn isn't going to throw out his career by throwing this out there.  If anything, he's over-stating the issue, or more likely his sources are over-stating the issue.

BUT, if he is right.  And we can't say for sure he's not, this would be a big story and eventually the truth would come out.  I just happen to believe on a 1-10 scale, MM's frustration is closer to a 1-2 instead of 9-10.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
These unnamed sources aren't saying Mike McCarthy is expressing frustration, they are asserting that he is running around saying he is "fed up." If indeed this is true he needs to quit or be fired. Coming to your boss and expressing frustration is welcomed in the business - mouthing off and slandering them behind there back is cowardly and undermining.
Could MM be frustrated? I wouldnt doubt it. Believe it or not, these games and situations take a greater toll on the coaches and players than it does the fans. Thats my belief at least. Read an interesting article at SI last night - pertaining SEA and the highs / lows of the roller coaster they've been on - with emphasis on how they handle the lows. The "real close but no cigar lows." How them mentally encapsulate the emotions - and come back to give it their best effort again.

In any case, I also consider MM a competitive, straight up guy. Something's on his mind - he'll let you know one way of the other - and he wants to win more than any fan IMO.

Listen - for me the only "bitch" with TT is this "not plugging holes" concept. I'll not get down into minutae that I actually dont have any inside or concrete knowledge of - but I remember such holes being filled in the past: Desmond Howard, Andre (?) Rison - and the one that comes to mind most often is somebodyh or other Wilkerson. An OLineman - tackle I believe - who was brought in back in the early Favre days - and his presence seemed (in my mind at least) to settle down a challenged unit - or to plug a hole. It can be done. Why exactly its not being done as much now? I cant say exactly.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
Listen - for me the only "bitch" with TT is this "not plugging holes" concept. I'll not get down into minutae that I actually dont have any inside or concrete knowledge of - but I remember such holes being filled in the past: Desmond Howard, Andre (?) Rison - and the one that comes to mind most often is somebodyh or other Wilkerson. An OLineman - tackle I believe - who was brought in back in the early Favre days - and his presence seemed (in my mind at least) to settle down a challenged unit - or to plug a hole. It can be done. Why exactly its not being done as much now? I cant say exactly.

Bruce Wilkerson.  He was brought in late in the season when Clifton was injured, and held his own at LT the year they won the SB. 

You know why it's not being done now, it's just not what TT does.  Only in an emergency will he bring in someone from outside the organization during the season.  And the bar is pretty high for his definition of emergency.  Whether that's right or wrong, others can fight about it, just saying that's the reason.