November 20, 2017, 03:26:24 AM

Author Topic: Hack McGinn Just Can't Help Himself  (Read 9727 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: Hack McGinn Just Can't Help Himself
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 09:34:10 AM »
B, on Friday's "Green and Gold", Wilde addressed the question of whether or not MM is frustrated by TT's lack of adding talent during the season, or dipping into FA at least a bit to address some needs on the team. Wilde started out as somewhat skeptical, but from talking to several people on the Packers, decided that, indeed, there was some unhappiness with TT and his unwillingness to explore options off the roster.

As far as MM simply resigning because he is that angry, that is an overreaction. Instead, perhaps MM could talk with TT, express his frustration (IF it actually exists- its all "anonymice" at this point), and the two could come to some accommodation. Like two people on this board discussing a topic, and hopefully finding a middle ground. If not, then MM would have consider his options. But, somehow, I don't believe quitting is in his nature.
Not only is it anonymous at beswt, it's from a known ant-TT "journalist"  who has accused Aaron Rodgers of showing up MM over taking the play calling away from Tom Clements and has spun things out of context to perpetuate it. 
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »
Not only is it anonymous at beswt, it's from a known ant-TT "journalist"  who has accused Aaron Rodgers of showing up MM over taking the play calling away from Tom Clements and has spun things out of context to perpetuate it.

cpk1994, with all due respect, its quite apparent you don't like or respect McGinn. That is your right. However, I, for one, find his columns of his opinion interesting and challenging. It is apparent he doesn't like the fact the Packers haven't been to the SB lately- though they have fielded teams he (and many others, including many on this site) should have advanced further, and even achieved a SB berth. Now, as far as his not being a good journalist, he is offering his opinion, similar to what you'd find in a newspaper on the opinion/editorial page. This is a separate branch of journalism, where he is free to offer his opinions, and is given more leeway in presenting evidence to back up his opinions.

Agreed, many times, McGinn will cite scouts from other teams, or even from anonymous sources on the team. To expect these people to come forward and be named is a bit naive. They are sometimes "telling tales out of school"; at other times, they are purposely leaking information to send messages to players  A recent example of this occurred a few years ago, when McGinn wrote an article in mid-season, saying the Packers weren't planning on re-signing Jermichael Finley because of his inconsistence on the field during the first half of the season. Suddenly, in the second half of that season, after that article appeared, Finley became a significant factor in the Packers offense, and remained with the team.

At least that is what I believe happened. And I also believe this is the root cause of his apparent dislike of TT. He felt used by the Packers, and has sharpened his criticisms of TT and MM in particular since then.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »
I would also add McGinn is still close to Ron Wolf, they go way back.  I would bet my house that at least some of McGinn's opinions and unnamed sources have Ron Wolf finger prints.  Not that RW is intentionally trying to throw TT under the bus or anything.  If that were the case, we would know about it.  I think it's more just casual conversation between them, and RW may mention things he's heard.

I think any information or opinion is valuable.  I take it all in, and decide for myself what I believe or agree with. 

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »
I would also add McGinn is still close to Ron Wolf, they go way back.  I would bet my house that at least some of McGinn's opinions and unnamed sources have Ron Wolf finger prints.  Not that RW is intentionally trying to throw TT under the bus or anything.  If that were the case, we would know about it.  I think it's more just casual conversation between them, and RW may mention things he's heard.

I think any information or opinion is valuable.  I take it all in, and decide for myself what I believe or agree with.

Doubt it.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
Agreed, many times, McGinn will cite scouts from other teams, or even from anonymous sources on the team. To expect these people to come forward and be named is a bit naive. They are sometimes "telling tales out of school"; at other times, they are purposely leaking information to send messages to players 

My feeling is that if McGinn actually had credible sources, he wouldn't be wrong so much.

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Agreed, many times, McGinn will cite scouts from other teams, or even from anonymous sources on the team. To expect these people to come forward and be named is a bit naive. They are sometimes "telling tales out of school"; at other times, they are purposely leaking information to send messages to players 

My feeling is that if McGinn actually had credible sources, he wouldn't be wrong so much.

What has he been wrong about?  (I'm seriously asking, I have no bone to pick one way or the other with him.)

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »

What has he been wrong about?  (I'm seriously asking, I have no bone to pick one way or the other with him.)

Let's start with the Jermichael Finley article.  I don't buy the idea it was written as a message to Finley.

Let's move on to the article about the Bears front office doing such a better job than the Packers at building a roster - yes the front office that was fired that season.

How about the article about how the team could win without Aaron Rodgers?

That is just 3 off the top of my head.  There would be more if I bothered to go through the JS archive. 

The anonymous "experts" add this notion credibility, but if you go back and look at his stuff, when his hypotheses about the team are tested by reality he doesn't do well.   The only place he does well is when he puts together a list of the top 100 draft prospects.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:56 PM »
The only place he does well is when he puts together a list of the top 100 draft prospects.

Agree...that's where the JS should keep his 'stuff'.

He is WAY past his prime as a 'good' journalist.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
So basically, the deal is that anyone that points out something in a negative fashion regarding the Packer organization, they are washed up - misinformed - have a bone to pick - and want TT and MM fired. 

McGinn
Oates
Silverstein
Farrar
Florio

All have written articles - as have others - that have pointed out some negative aspects and they immediately come under fire.  Apparently, these writers just sit around their offices and then decide they are going to make up some things - make sure they put their negative spin on it - and hope their information leads to the dismissal of the General Manager and Head Coach. 

We all are Packer fans, but sometimes you have to take off your green and gold goggles and accept the fact that issues do exist within this organization.  As exist in all organizations.  I tend to trust what those men have to say as they are closer than most people to the actual inside.  We have no - again - no clue of really what goes on.  I would venture a guess no one that posts on here has the access as those men do. 

Time to put the free passes away for the top of this organization. 

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 03:22:20 AM »

cpk1994, with all due respect, its quite apparent you don't like or respect McGinn. That is your right. However, I, for one, find his columns of his opinion interesting and challenging. It is apparent he doesn't like the fact the Packers haven't been to the SB lately- though they have fielded teams he (and many others, including many on this site) should have advanced further, and even achieved a SB berth. Now, as far as his not being a good journalist, he is offering his opinion, similar to what you'd find in a newspaper on the opinion/editorial page. This is a separate branch of journalism, where he is free to offer his opinions, and is given more leeway in presenting evidence to back up his opinions.

Agreed, many times, McGinn will cite scouts from other teams, or even from anonymous sources on the team. To expect these people to come forward and be named is a bit naive. They are sometimes "telling tales out of school"; at other times, they are purposely leaking information to send messages to players  A recent example of this occurred a few years ago, when McGinn wrote an article in mid-season, saying the Packers weren't planning on re-signing Jermichael Finley because of his inconsistence on the field during the first half of the season. Suddenly, in the second half of that season, after that article appeared, Finley became a significant factor in the Packers offense, and remained with the team.

At least that is what I believe happened. And I also believe this is the root cause of his apparent dislike of TT. He felt used by the Packers, and has sharpened his criticisms of TT and MM in particular since then.
You obviously didn't read the articles your boy wrote. He flat out accused Aaron Rodgers of showing up MM over Tom Clements having the play calling taken away and provided NO evidence. Didn't point to any sources. Nothing.  He took what was a clear joke and blew up it up to "Aaron Rodgers was unprofessional".  Finally, he says the team underachieved while all but ignoring the injuries that decimated the team and when he did manage to mention them, he made them out to be nothing. That is the type of garbage I am referring to and the stuff you ignore when you revert to the usual excuse making. And it doesn't matter if he felt used, he is still being unprofessional when he pulls that garbage. Good journalists remain professional and objective regardless of their personal feelings. Hack does none of that. He uses it to fuel an agenda.  He is nothing more than a low rent tabloid writer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:38:15 AM by cpk1994 »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 03:45:51 AM »
So basically, the deal is that anyone that points out something in a negative fashion regarding the Packer organization, they are washed up - misinformed - have a bone to pick - and want TT and MM fired. 

McGinn
Oates
Silverstein
Farrar
Florio

All have written articles - as have others - that have pointed out some negative aspects and they immediately come under fire.  Apparently, these writers just sit around their offices and then decide they are going to make up some things - make sure they put their negative spin on it - and hope their information leads to the dismissal of the General Manager and Head Coach. 

We all are Packer fans, but sometimes you have to take off your green and gold goggles and accept the fact that issues do exist within this organization.  As exist in all organizations.  I tend to trust what those men have to say as they are closer than most people to the actual inside.  We have no - again - no clue of really what goes on.  I would venture a guess no one that posts on here has the access as those men do. 

Wrong. There is a difference between being negative, and making accusations without evidence, stating things as facts without evidence to back it up, and taking petty poty shots because you hate the people you are covering. That is what Hack is doing and that is why Hack is under fire.  Oh, and Hack already admitted he has no clue what goes on behind the scenes at 1265.  This isn't about criticisms. It's about being unprofessional. 

And Florio hasn't had any credibility since he accused Aaron Rodgers of snubbing a fan seeking an autograph after the WC win at Philly in 2010. He continued to insist he was right even after it was pointed out said fan had gotten several autographs in the past and was recovering from cancer. Only after that fan came out and said something did he finally apologize for being the unprofessional tool he was being. Florio falls under the same tabloid tent as Hack does.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »

McGinn
Oates
Silverstein
Farrar
Florio

I beg to differ.  There is a huge difference between the others and McGinn.  I think Silverstein does a great job covering the team, but he doesn't "reach" on a story.  He reports it, and doesn't cover his opinion with claims of anonymous sources.  Silverstein's weekly "5 questions" doesn't hide its expert-- LeRoy Butler is there, and says what he thinks, and nobody hides behind anonymity.

How many of McGinn's anonymous personnel executives have winning teams?  Fans want to speculate that Ron Wolf is the source-- what if it is Matt Millen instead?  Would Matt Millen be better than Thompson?  Would Matt Millen be credible at all? The point being that the credibility of an anonymous source in a subject like this has to be questioned because there is no evidence that the source has a proven track record of putting together a winning team or identifying winning talent. 

None of these sources have anything to fear with exposure, but McGinn hides them like they are revealing national secrets. 

Face it, the article where he touted the Bears front office over the Packers coming into the Bears game following the slow Packer start revealed his agenda. He published that to get in front of the anger that would occur with another loss.   Unfortunately for him, not only did the packers win and go on to the NFC championship game, the bears fired that same front office.  Way to go Bob.

Fans here always want "accountability" for the Packers team, coaches, and executives, but they seem to want to give McGinn free pass.  How about holding McGinn accountable as well?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:28:52 AM by Twain »

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
How many of McGinn's anonymous personnel executives have winning teams?  Fans want to speculate that Ron Wolf is the source-- what if it is Matt Millen instead?  Would Matt Millen be better than Thompson?  Would Matt Millen be credible at all? The point being that the credibility of an anonymous source in a subject like this has to be questioned because there is no evidence that the source has a proven track record of putting together a winning team or identifying winning talent. 

Maybe the insider is Ron Wolf.   No one knows who the source is but McGinn, and he has no professional responsibility to share his source.  Would you fully expect McGinn to come out and say that Wolf is his source?  Go read the beat writers from any professional sports team and you will see the "inside sources" being referred to just as much as McGinn uses his.  And, quite honestly, what any of us know compared to  any GM or former GM is so in-comparable it is laughable. 

Actually, CNN just referred to a source "inside the Obama Administration" that stated he was un-happy with the state department for releasing some of his e-mails to Hillary Clinton.  They didn't report who the source was though.  So this reporter then apparently is making up the story. 

Free pass city is what some want.  TT and MM apparently have them for the remainder of their careers in Green Bay.  How dare anyone question their standing so far above the rest of the NFL. 

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »

Maybe the insider is Ron Wolf.   No one knows who the source is but McGinn, and he has no professional responsibility to share his source.  Would you fully expect McGinn to come out and say that Wolf is his source?

Yes, I would.  If the source doesn't want to be quoted, he shouldn't be speaking.  Its not like the source is revealing anything involving national security where the importance of getting the information out overwhelms the need for transparency and integrity in reporting. 

Free pass city is what some want.   

Which is what the fans of McGinn want.  He gets a free pass in pushing journalistic integrity and limits. 

I don't want TT and MM to get a free pass, I want reporting that develops a story in a transparent fashion, with accuracy.  I don't want editorial stories supported by BS.

Let me just add this:

When has McGinn, with all of his inside sources, ever beaten the national media to a story on the Packers under Thompson?  When Jordy tore his ACL, did the journal sentinel team get the story first?  Nope- NFL network.  There are countless examples of this.  If he is so connected, why is that?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:42:44 AM by Twain »

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
So it is about timing?  NFL Network - who was actually covering the game that day live if I recall - beat McGinn to get the story out first. Therefore, they are more reliable.  Green Bay isn't on an island here.  Every single organization has reporters that use inside sources for information.   Not 1 - again, not a single 1 - will ever name their source.  And that is the case for a reporter that covers politics, government, entertainment or whatever. 

It is apparently ok for them.  But for Mc Ginn - he must name his source.  When Tom Haudricourt says sources tell him that the Brewers are actively looking to trade Lucroy - does he name his Brewers source?  Does Charles Gardner name his Bucks source when he says people are telling him Jason Kidd is not happy with his teams lack of chemistry?  They then are making up their stories also because they have an ax to grind. 

Essentially, any team beat reporter that does not name his or her source has no idea what they are talking about - even though they are with the team daily and have the access to the organization that none of us will ever have.