September 25, 2017, 07:22:18 PM

Author Topic: McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out  (Read 7136 times)

Offline HJTRAS

• Second String
McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out
« on: January 24, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »
The man has no clue how to make adjustments. He has a system and you must fit. Don't you think he could have made a few adjustments to get Janis in the game. No not McCarthy. He lets Adams blow up week after week. Plays Barclay who should not even be in the NFL and replaces him with a beat up guard that hasn't played tackle since high school. try again. Before he sniffs the possibility of playing Tretter. He has the best Outside Line backer in the league in Mathews but wastes that Talent. He Has Rodgers and no Idea how to use him. McCarthy has no problem with Lacey's weight  denies over weight problems all season then says Lacey is fat after the season. He screwed up his coaching staff promoting top end then shorting  other areas.  To me McCarthy is a old shoe and the sole has worn out.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:04:06 PM »
The man has no clue how to make adjustments. He has a system and you must fit. Don't you think he could have made a few adjustments to get Janis in the game. No not McCarthy. He lets Adams blow up week after week. Plays Barclay who should not even be in the NFL and replaces him with a beat up guard that hasn't played tackle since high school. try again. Before he sniffs the possibility of playing Tretter. He has the best Outside Line backer in the league in Mathews but wastes that Talent. He Has Rodgers and no Idea how to use him. McCarthy has no problem with Lacey's weight  denies over weight problems all season then says Lacey is fat after the season. He screwed up his coaching staff promoting top end then shorting  other areas.  To me McCarthy is a old shoe and the sole has worn out.

I agree with most of this except the Matthews part. Matthews is actually better for us at ILB right now than he was at OLB. As for MM, I just point to his days as OC in SF when he was almost dead last in offense in the league. What a difference riding the coat tails of back to back HOF QB's makes.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Yeah I agree with some of your points, but McCarthy is not going anywhere anytime soon.

This isn't a one owner NFL franchise where head coaches get fired, you would need a major season long melt down for McCarthy to get the boot.

He will be coach as long as he wants winning one or two playoff games and never advancing to the NFC championship game let alone another Super Bowl.

Then again they did manage to do it once and they have Rodgers so theres that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:55:31 AM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
and never advancing to the NFC championship game.

Really? Like last year?

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
and never advancing to the NFC championship game.

Really? Like last year?

LOL

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »

Online B

• HOF Member
Re: McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
Mike McCarthy teams have advanced to three NFC championship games, the most recent being last season.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online Kepler

• HOF Member
Re: McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »
Mike McCarthy teams have advanced to three NFC championship games, the most recent being last season.

Exactly. I can understand differences of opinion on whether MM should stay or go, but one has to get the facts straight first!

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:34:34 PM »
Favre throws an ill-timed OT INT.  Sure-handed Micah Hyde (our punt returner) secures an INT that bounces off his hands -or- a player failing to do his job on 1 play and play containment on Kaep, instead choosing to chase inside - and we beat a very strong SF to advance in the playoffs.  This despite a defense absolutely decimated by injury.   Bostick does his actual job and blocks someone - or Peppers doesn't tell a teammate to stop after an INT - or HaHa knocks down a floating desperation heave we are in a 2nd SB, playing a team we just beat a few weeks earlier.   Sam Shields has an INT and we are likely looking at a 4th NFC Championship game despite an offense decimated by injury and playing without 4 of our top 5 WR's!   

Any of those plays and none of these conversations occur.   McCarthy didn't fail on those plays - the players did.  Those aren't coaching mistakes, those aren't adjustment issues.  Those are players coached to be in position to make plays, being in that position, and not making plays they need to make.

If Arizona played without Fitz, Floyd, Brown, Brown and lost to us, the message on this board wouldn't be -"that Arians is terrible and can't make adjustments" and "Keim is a terrible GM for not having a 7th and 8th all-Pro 4.3 WR he should have been able to pick up mid-season."  It would be - what a masterful coaching job he did taking us to OT with his 5th and 6th WR.  The message on this board would have been -"Fire McCarthy, what a terrible job being taken into OT at home with a team decimated by injury"

I think there is some real criticisms to be made in the team's failures at home against some weak teams in the North and failure of the offense to adjust effectively all season, so no, not giving McCarthy and the team any free pass.  The man is not infallible and without flaws.   Here's some perspective - No coach anywhere at any level is.   However, I think blaming an OT loss on the road against Seattle after many individual player letdowns and an OT loss in ARI after player letdowns is just bitching to bitch.  Claiming McCarthy is unable to make adjustments or a coach that has compiled his track record is "wasting" talent is just bitching to bitch.   

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
Anyone else realize New England Patriots lost 4 of their last 6 regular season games this year - games played without their top WR Edelman?

Anyone else realize Tom Brady was hit more in yesterday's game than any QB in any game this season? 

I think that's pretty illustrative of a coach that can't make adjustments.  Probably time to look at that sole... sarcasm

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 04:54:48 PM »

Any of those plays and none of these conversations occur.   McCarthy didn't fail on those plays - the players did.  Those aren't coaching mistakes, those aren't adjustment issues.  Those are players coached to be in position to make plays, being in that position, and not making plays they need to make.

Claiming McCarthy is unable to make adjustments or a coach that has compiled his track record is "wasting" talent is just bitching to bitch.

These arguments tend to go in circles.  No, McCarthy didn't fail on those plays you mentioned.  He also didn't make all the plays necessary to win a Super Bowl.  You can't have it both ways.  McCarthy gets credit when they win, but players not executing when they lose?

Look, I didn't expect a SB this year.  In fact, I'm on record as saying I would give MM a huge pat on the back if they could make the NFC Champ game this year.  But he/they didn't.  Just as last year, all they needed was someone to make a play ONCE and the game is over.  Many, many different plays that could have happened.  But it didn't.

Lost to the Vikings at home in playoffs.  Lost twice to the Giants at home in the playoffs.  15-1 season, can't get to the SB.

See, you can pick any one playoff game and pick apart plays the players made, or didn't make.  But if you look at the whole picture, they have not lived up to expectations since the last SB win.  Many would disagree.  Is MM solely responsible for that?  Of course not.  Is TT? No.  But I'm a "buck stops here" type of guy, and someone needs to be responsible beyond a backup TE making a bone-headed play. 

Alas, I don't talk much about this stuff anymore.  I have come to grips with the fact TT/MM are here to stay as long as they want, so I just don't get worked up about it anymore. 

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
But if you look at the whole picture, they have not lived up to expectations since the last SB win.   

What are the "expectations"?
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »

Claiming McCarthy is unable to make adjustments or a coach that has compiled his track record is "wasting" talent is just bitching to bitch.

These arguments tend to go in circles.  No, McCarthy didn't fail on those plays you mentioned.  He also didn't make all the plays necessary to win a Super Bowl.  You can't have it both ways.  McCarthy gets credit when they win, but players not executing when they lose?

Look, I didn't expect a SB this year.  In fact, I'm on record as saying I would give MM a huge pat on the back if they could make the NFC Champ game this year.  But he/they didn't.  Just as last year, all they needed was someone to make a play ONCE and the game is over.  Many, many different plays that could have happened.  But it didn't.

Lost to the Vikings at home in playoffs.  Lost twice to the Giants at home in the playoffs.  15-1 season, can't get to the SB.

See, you can pick any one playoff game and pick apart plays the players made, or didn't make.  But if you look at the whole picture, they have not lived up to expectations since the last SB win.  Many would disagree.  Is MM solely responsible for that?  Of course not.  Is TT? No.  But I'm a "buck stops here" type of guy, and someone needs to be responsible beyond a backup TE making a bone-headed play. 

Alas, I don't talk much about this stuff anymore.  I have come to grips with the fact TT/MM are here to stay as long as they want, so I just don't get worked up about it anymore. 

The passive aggressive "disclaimer"......
I dont talk about this stuff anymore.....especially when I'm done just talking about it again.    :)

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »
Yes Leader, but I didn't bring up the subject. I just responded to it. Not sure how that's passive, aggressive? Methinks you guys read too much into my comments.

By the way, you know I have stayed far away from talking about GM or HC change.  But when someone else brings it up, yes at times I will respond, after all this is a discussion forum.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »
But if you look at the whole picture, they have not lived up to expectations since the last SB win.   

What are the "expectations"?
To make it to more than one SB during Rodgers career.