September 26, 2017, 07:59:11 AM

Author Topic: McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out  (Read 7142 times)

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
Re: McCarthy an old shoe that is worn out
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 04:42:47 PM »
This team was ONE play from the Super Bowl last year..ONE play from the NFC Championship game this year.  ONE play from beating SF previously.   This "sense of urgency" is just BS IMO -- the players have proven they can play and compete on the biggest stages, the coaches have proven they can coach and compete on the biggest stages.  They're in every game.
This brings up the question then of, if we are so close, why do we keep falling short in this situations?  We are we one play short so often?
Maybe if the team was better, they wouldn't be in that position where they needed that ONE play to win, maybe we'd be in position to force the OTHER team to make that ONE play to get the win.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
But if you look at the whole picture, they have not lived up to expectations since the last SB win.   

What are the "expectations"?
To make it to more than one SB during Rodgers career.

Predict the future. I'll give you 50,000 dollars in cash if you say the Packers will never go to another Superbowl with Rodgers as their QB and it comes true. There is no this and that or would be moves that they did/didn't make. Your expectations are not expectations, they are DEMANDS. You DEMAND Thompson signs players in FA, you DEMAND they draft  the next generation's superstars, you DEMAND they win another Superbowl. You're in no place to make demands of them.

Not sure who you're responding to, but it's not me.  I have never demanded certain moves be made, or demand they draft superstars. I'm guessing this yet another straw man argument, but I have never made any demands. Do I expect more than one SB victory in the Rodgers era? YES. 

Will you bet me $50,000 they WILL win another SB while Rodgers is still here?

Yes, I was absolutely responding to you.

In the words of Vic Ketchman you're confusing expectations with demands. You're expectations are at elevated levels and have been for a long time. They've turned into demands whether you see it or not. It's like when my wife is constipated, I've expected anal for so long it's become a demand every time she's constipated.

What a sick analogy, what's wrong with you?  My expectations are not demands no matter how many times you say it.  I can't demand something I have no control over, so you're really not making any sense. And, they're not at elevated levels.  A great many Packer fans, perhaps even most Packer fans expect them to win more than one SB with Rodgers.

But I'm done here.  You're a strange dude talking about your wife like that, among other comments you've made in the past. you've made in the past. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:59:00 PM by VoiceofReason »

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »

Well, that's what troubles me.  I don't think we can do that with our current GM/HC, unless they are willing to change and show more sense of urgency.  They don't go "all in" whether it's a season or individual playoff game.  Playoff performance since the SB has been awful.

This team was ONE play from the Super Bowl last year..ONE play from the NFC Championship game this year.  ONE play from beating SF previously.   This "sense of urgency" is just BS IMO -- the players have proven they can play and compete on the biggest stages, the coaches have proven they can coach and compete on the biggest stages.  They're in every game.**  TT and MM have done a great job keeping this team consistently competitive.  They don't need to swing for the fences and create some mock sense of "urgency" to appease a contingent of fans crying for blood.   The players just need to make the PLAY.

Not challenging TT and MM have done a great job keeping the team competitive.  They have just failed miserably in the playoffs ever since the SB win.  It's all about the players making plays?  Maybe, but then I guess there's no need for coaches on game day.  They shut it down too early vs Seattle, that's coaching.  I have no issues this season, Carolina is just better.  That happens.

But in all your posts you conveniently skip over all the homes losses- Giants twice, and the Vikings.  You can't just keep saying it's all on the players when it happens year after year, and the players turnover drastically over the years. 

Part of it is "luck" for lack of a better word.  I'll accept that.  But we're not talking about a game or two, it's happening year after year, and I think it's fair to hold people accountable. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
What a sick analogy, what's wrong with you?  My expectations are not demands no matter how many times you say it.  I can't demand something I have no control over, so you're really not making any sense. And, they're not at elevated levels.  A great many Packer fans, perhaps even most Packer fans expect them to win more than one SB with Rodgers.

But I'm done here.  You're a strange dude talking about your wife like that, among other comments you've made in the past. you've made in the past.

You don't know me and you don't know my wife and she doesn't read this board. It's also a perfect comparison. I can see why your confused by the distinction of expectations and demands.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:29 PM »
But in all your posts you conveniently skip over all the homes losses- Giants twice, and the Vikings.  You can't just keep saying it's all on the players when it happens year after year, and the players turnover drastically over the years. 

Part of it is "luck" for lack of a better word.  I'll accept that.  But we're not talking about a game or two, it's happening year after year, and I think it's fair to hold people accountable.
We lost to SF at home also.  When we lose on the road (like at Seattle), people say we need to get home field.  When we lose on the home field, people wonder what happened to the Lambeau mystique. 

Sure, luck's a part of it.  But GB at least regularly makes the playoffs.  A lot of people wanted Sean Payton instead of McCarthy.  Where have the Saints been lately?  The Bears were in the NFC Championship Game in 2010, then fell off the map.  At least GB stays in the conversation.  They just need something to push them over the top (again), whatever that may be.  It's probably not helping that the road to the Super Bowl has been a lot tougher in the NFC than the AFC.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Yea, Saints definitely under-achieved having Brees all those years. 

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:45 PM »
This team was ONE play from the Super Bowl last year..ONE play from the NFC Championship game this year.  ONE play from beating SF previously.   This "sense of urgency" is just BS IMO -- the players have proven they can play and compete on the biggest stages, the coaches have proven they can coach and compete on the biggest stages.  They're in every game.
This brings up the question then of, if we are so close, why do we keep falling short in this situations?  We are we one play short so often?
Maybe if the team was better, they wouldn't be in that position where they needed that ONE play to win, maybe we'd be in position to force the OTHER team to make that ONE play to get the win.

It's called 'execution'!!
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline VoiceofReason

• All Pro
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 07:25:10 PM »

Would you say coaches aren't responsible for execution?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 07:55:18 PM »

Would you say coaches aren't responsible for execution?

Well VOR I would have to say yes.

When plays put in and practiced during OTA's, training camp, during the course of the year and which actually work during the season but fail at critical times then it's on the players. You can twist it any way you want but that is what can happen...and has!

We understand you want to blame coaches but they don't wear uniforms and hence not on the field...the players are.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:13:06 PM by LMG »

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 05:42:59 AM »
Anyone else realize New England Patriots lost 4 of their last 6 regular season games this year - games played without their top WR Edelman?

Anyone else realize Tom Brady was hit more in yesterday's game than any QB in any game this season? 

I think that's pretty illustrative of a coach that can't make adjustments.  Probably time to look at that sole... sarcasm

On a side note, the Patriots fired their Oline coach after the game. Dude has been good all year despite who plays.... then one bad showing. Thats a message. They didn't blame player execution. Coaches scheme and adjust. The standards are high in new england.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 08:11:16 AM »
MM fired his RB coach and TE coach - the TE coach having been with him 10 years and reportedly a good friend.  Seems the standards are high in GB

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »
Anyone else realize New England Patriots lost 4 of their last 6 regular season games this year - games played without their top WR Edelman?

Actually...yes. I made the point more than a few times...but it wasnt a very popular talking point as it went against the grain.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
MM fired his RB coach and TE coach - the TE coach having been with him 10 years and reportedly a good friend.  Seems the standards are high in GB

A TE who had no talent to work with. Who's best TE, a slow, weak, athletically lacking overpick actually put up respectable numbers. So I really do not see the reason why. Now if the OC, WR, or OL coach went, I could have seen that.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »

Anyone else realize Tom Brady was hit more in yesterday's game than any QB in any game this season? 

I think that's pretty illustrative of a coach that can't make adjustments.  Probably time to look at that sole... sarcasm

On a side note, the Patriots fired their Oline coach after the game. Dude has been good all year despite who plays.... then one bad showing. Thats a message. They didn't blame player execution. Coaches scheme and adjust. The standards are high in new england.

Actually is more of a 'parting of ways' as his 2 year contract was up and the Pats did not renew.

In DeGuglielmo's first year on the job, the Patriots allowed just 21 sacks, fourth-fewest in the NFL, and the team won the Super Bowl. The offensive line, which suffered a string of injuries in 2015 and was playing with three rookies who totaled more than 50 percent of the snaps, contributed to that sack total's increasing to 38 this season.

This isnít all on the OL coach. Pats were dealing with injuries all year on the OL, to Nate Solder and Bryan Stork and Sebastien Vollmer. I doubt any coach could have done a much better job. Brady was getting killed all year. He did what he could.

Of course the talent of Denverís D line had nothing to do with the beat down the Pats received in the AFC Championship game.

Think this twist example of the OL coach contract not being renewed, or 'fired' as some like to say, is him being more of a 'scapegoat' for the lack of execution on the field.

Offline eX Oh

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »
A TE who had no talent to work with. Who's best TE, a slow, weak, athletically lacking overpick actually put up respectable numbers. So I really do not see the reason why. Now if the OC, WR, or OL coach went, I could have seen that.

We get that you don't see the reason why.  No need to point it out further.