September 25, 2017, 07:21:35 PM

Author Topic: Packers Seahawks NFC Championship Game  (Read 1722 times)

Online iarwain

• HOF Member
Packers Seahawks NFC Championship Game
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
Saw the half hour highlight on this game on ESPN this morning - NFL's Greatest Games or whatever it was.  It almost made me sick to watch it but I couldn't tear myself away, it was like watching a train wreck.  I won't be getting that half hour of my life back.  Seattle turns the ball over five frigging times and we lose.  Whatever.

I often hear that if we had only gotten that onside kick, we would have won the game.  Even McCarthy mentioned it in his press conference.  Well, maybe, maybe not.  There was a lot of time left at that point.  If we went three and out there or even gotten a field goal, Seattle could have still gotten a touchdown, especially since we seemed unable to stop them at that point (sounds similar to the Arizona game at the end, doesn't it?).

Anyway, as soon as we lost that onside kick, I knew we were going to lose.  We were playing it too safe and all the momentum was going their way.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: Packers Seahawks NFC Championship Game
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
This and SB 32 are two of the past Packers games I just cannot rewatch.   It isn't good for my health.    :P

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
If you like misery- fourth and 26.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:03:15 PM »
I often hear that if we had only gotten that onside kick, we would have won the game.  Even McCarthy mentioned it in his press conference.  Well, maybe, maybe not.  There was a lot of time left at that point.  If we went three and out there or even gotten a field goal, Seattle could have still gotten a touchdown......

Perhaps so. Perhaps not. Nothing is set in stone - but - had we recovered the onside kick - there was 2:09 left in the game and SEA had no timeouts. So - even if we'd not moved the ball or scored - we'd certainly have put a serious dent into the time remaining - then punt/put them back into their territory with the score GB 19 - SEA 14.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The fact remains the Packers lost, the Seahawks won. And then the Seahawks were denied a second consecutive SB win on a Patriots interception on their own one yard line.

Why the need to relive these painful episodes? Yesterday, I watched a replay of the 2010 Packers SB victory. I'd forgotten what a nail biter it was, and was thrilled and elated all over by a great game won by the "good guys." Try it. Its a lot more fun than torturing yourself with "what could have been."
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
No "self torture" or "pain" being experienced here. Been there/done that. Is it what it was (kinda/sorta). 

Online iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Perhaps so. Perhaps not. Nothing is set in stone - but - had we recovered the onside kick - there was 2:09 left in the game and SEA had no timeouts.
You're right, for some reason I was thinking there were four minutes left at the time of the onside kick.  My mistake.

If you like misery- fourth and 26.
It almost seems like all those painful losses run together into one nightmare game, doesn't it?

I definitely did not set out to watch this.  I turned on the TV and there it was, and like I said it was like a car wreck, I couldn't turn away. 
GB definitely took its foot off the gas though, and that made it even more painful.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »
Yeah, I watched it too.......very sad.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:44:07 AM »
Saw the half hour highlight on this game on ESPN this morning - NFL's Greatest Games or whatever it was.  It almost made me sick to watch it but I couldn't tear myself away, it was like watching a train wreck.  I won't be getting that half hour of my life back.  Seattle turns the ball over five frigging times and we lose.  Whatever.

I often hear that if we had only gotten that onside kick, we would have won the game.  Even McCarthy mentioned it in his press conference.  Well, maybe, maybe not.  There was a lot of time left at that point.  If we went three and out there or even gotten a field goal, Seattle could have still gotten a touchdown, especially since we seemed unable to stop them at that point (sounds similar to the Arizona game at the end, doesn't it?).

Anyway, as soon as we lost that onside kick, I knew we were going to lose.  We were playing it too safe and all the momentum was going their way.

I don't disagree with what you say, but I felt like we were still going to win that game up until the onside kick. I remember thinking "oh s@#t" at that point.

Online iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »
I don't disagree with what you say, but I felt like we were still going to win that game up until the onside kick. I remember thinking "oh s@#t" at that point.
I have to be honest, I never felt safe that entire game.  Settling for so many field goals instead of scoring touchdowns, I was afraid that was going to come back and bite us. 

I'm not arguing that McCarthy made a mistake in choosing to kick the field goals, I mean the Seahawks defense kept us out of the end zone, just to be clear.