November 19, 2017, 08:18:56 AM

Author Topic: Peter King sounds off on TT  (Read 19702 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Peter King sounds off on TT
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
Today's MMQ:

I think I understand Green Bay GM Ted Thompson wanting to let the market settle down at all positions. But I think he absolutely, unequivocally should have been a player in a pretty good tight end market. Ladarius Green signed for $5 million a year with the Steelers. That would have been a perfect player for Aaron Rodgers, a big tight end who can go downfield, at a very fair price. Itís good to have an organizational philosophy. But there is no philosophy that is unbreakable. Thompson simply has to be more flexible when there are reasonably priced players available who would be of good value to his team.

maxman44

Re: Peter King sounds off on TT
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »
Well said

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
Concerning the tight end position, the other guy out there who I would have liked to sign was Ben Watson. But he  just signed with the Ravens I think.  He caught something like 70 balls last year.  Good blocker, smart, and fast.

Still out there are:

Jared Cook
Owen Daniels
Scott Chandler
Vernon Davis

Like I said, I would sign an FA and draft a TE.  We need an overhaul at the position. Since we have no one who can seriously threaten the seam, this is why defenses can play either a two up top zone on third down,  or move someone down into the front seven on first down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:44:33 PM by Gregg »

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:33 PM »
I'm guessing Peter King didn't read the article in the San Diego newspaper the day after Green signed in Pitt
L. Green has had 3 concussions, 2 in the last 9 months. That's serious stuff
On top of that he he spent the night in the Oakland hospital after the Chargers game for an undisclosed reason.
The Chargers have plenty of cap space, but chose not to re-sign him
The Chargers have the most information of anybody yet took a pass, even though they know Antonio Gates might not even make it through the season. And a deeper look at the contract shows that Pitt had some concerns of their own - but with their WR gone for the season based on drug use, they were in a real  bind and willing to take a higher risk than the other teams in the league. The Packers saw Green up close and personal at Lambeau Field - they have film of him playing against their squad last fall.

Once again, the first question you should ask yourself is this: What is it that I don't know ?
Instead Peter, the howling fans and the media leaped to the conclusion that Ted effed up...

There are any number of reasons why TE Green isn't a Packer and none of us are privy to the info needed to make that decision.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:48:28 PM by Shanedorf »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
I'm guessing Peter King didn't read the article in the San Diego newspaper the day after Green signed in Pitt
On top of that he he spent the night in the Oakland hospital after the Chargers game for an undisclosed reason.
The Chargers have the most information of anybody yet took a pass, even though they know Antonio Gates might not even make it through the season. And a deeper look at the contract shows that Pitt had some concerns of their own - but with their WR gone for the season based on drug use, they were in a real  bind and willing to take a higher risk than the other teams in the league. The Packers saw Green up close and personal at Lambeau Field - they have film of him playing against their squad last fall.

Once again, the first question you should ask yourself is this: What is it that I don't know ?
Instead Peter, the howling fans and the media leaped to the conclusion that Ted effed up...

clap)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:15:29 PM »
And what's the excuse on the four other guys I listed, plus Ben Watson?

There are always doubts out there aren't there?

That is why we got HOF'er Woodson relatively cheap.

Or is there something TT knows about Justin Perillo that we do not?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:16:12 PM by Gregg »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:18:02 PM »

clap)

clap) clap) goodpost
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Oh and I forgot:

The Bears signed Miller today at TE.

Which means, they probably won't sign Bennett who is probably the best all around TE out there right now.

Did we miss his  three concussions also  that TT knows about? 

But that is OK since we have Justin Perillo.   thumbsup)

goodpost

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »
Oh and I forgot:

Which means, they probably won't sign Bennett who is probably the best all around TE out there right now.

goodpost

Please!!!!

You will have to checkout for any concussions for Bennett and let us know.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 11:49:21 PM »
Oh and I forgot:

goodpost

Well, at least someone thinks your post is good- even if its yourself.

The signing of Miller for a smaller amount than he was asking is because he is injury prone and 31 years old. And not very productive. So, good for them. They got a Quarless clone- except older. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/bears-zach-miller-agree-to-new-deal/

Oh, and Bennett? An overhyped head case. The best TE available right now? Well, that doesn't mean much, does it? Because the pool of FA TE's is very thin. Then again, Vernon Davis is available- remember how many people on here moaned and groaned that TT didn't get him last season? Now TT has a chance to redeem himself.

The idea that the Packers should DO SOMETHING in free agency infects this board every year. Remember how upset people on here were when Graham went to Seattle? But, of course, if he were a Packer, everything would have been different because- DO SOMETHING.

A wise person once said, "Don't just do something! Sit there!"

Why worry what other teams are doing? Spending money in FA is not the same thing as making your team better. Its spending money in the HOPE it will work for your team. Which it almost never does. The exception to this rule is New England- but, please notice, both the Packers and the Patriots have won the same number of SB's since TT became GM- one.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:26 AM »
Watson is an old git and his production was mostly the product of the Saints' system.  Davis looked like he was cooked 2 seasons ago. 

we're pretty blah at TE but those two guys aren't the answer.

LaDarius Green might pan out, but he's been a tease his entire career, flashing potential then disappearing.  i agree that he was probably the best option, but he's not a savior.

Bennett is a head-case and a locker room problem (although some of that might be a byproduct of playing with Jay Cutler).  he's 29 but has a lot of miles on him.  most importantly, he's not a FA -- he's currently under contract with the Bears who are shopping him.  he wouldn't be a bad fit, assuming the locker room problems aren't an issue, but he's unattainable for the Pack unless he gets cut.

i don't expect us to bring in a "name" at TE.  if we don't take one of the top TEs in the draft, hopefully we can at least bring in an athlete and stretch the middle of the field a little.  Richard Rodgers has his strengths, but moving is not one of them.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »

There are any number of reasons why TE Green isn't a Packer and none of us are privy to the info needed to make that decision.

Often players are FAs for a reason.  They either are getting up there in years, are a salary cap casualty or are a pain in the locker room.  What is kinda sad is the FA market this offseason for TEs is poor and it appears this draft class isn't much better.  The best of the bunch is Henry but is he worth taking at #27?  I might take him in the second but lord knows if he'll still be there.   :-\

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:03 AM »
Oh and I forgot:

goodpost

Well, at least someone thinks your post is good- even if its yourself.

The signing of Miller for a smaller amount than he was asking is because he is injury prone and 31 years old. And not very productive. So, good for them. They got a Quarless clone- except older. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/bears-zach-miller-agree-to-new-deal/

Oh, and Bennett? An overhyped head case. The best TE available right now? Well, that doesn't mean much, does it? Because the pool of FA TE's is very thin. Then again, Vernon Davis is available- remember how many people on here moaned and groaned that TT didn't get him last season? Now TT has a chance to redeem himself.

The idea that the Packers should DO SOMETHING in free agency infects this board every year. Remember how upset people on here were when Graham went to Seattle? But, of course, if he were a Packer, everything would have been different because- DO SOMETHING.

A wise person once said, "Don't just do something! Sit there!"

Why worry what other teams are doing? Spending money in FA is not the same thing as making your team better. Its spending money in the HOPE it will work for your team. Which it almost never does. The exception to this rule is New England- but, please notice, both the Packers and the Patriots have won the same number of SB's since TT became GM- one.

Is King calling out Belichick for being just as quiet so far in FA as Ted is?

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 12:45:27 AM »
Oh and I forgot:

goodpost

goodpost I liked it.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."