September 26, 2017, 07:59:03 AM

Author Topic: Peter King sounds off on TT  (Read 17449 times)

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
Re: Peter King sounds off on TT
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »
I think King's comments are fair.

If ILB and TE play ends up being issues again next season, it's on TT.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 03:08:03 AM »
I'm guessing Peter King didn't read the article in the San Diego newspaper the day after Green signed in Pitt
L. Green has had 3 concussions, 2 in the last 9 months. That's serious stuff
On top of that he he spent the night in the Oakland hospital after the Chargers game for an undisclosed reason.
The Chargers have plenty of cap space, but chose not to re-sign him
The Chargers have the most information of anybody yet took a pass, even though they know Antonio Gates might not even make it through the season. And a deeper look at the contract shows that Pitt had some concerns of their own - but with their WR gone for the season based on drug use, they were in a real  bind and willing to take a higher risk than the other teams in the league. The Packers saw Green up close and personal at Lambeau Field - they have film of him playing against their squad last fall.

Once again, the first question you should ask yourself is this: What is it that I don't know ?
Instead Peter, the howling fans and the media leaped to the conclusion that Ted effed up...

There are any number of reasons why TE Green isn't a Packer and none of us are privy to the info needed to make that decision.
goodpost

That blurb was nothing but clickbait by Peter King. Another writer who thinks he knows more than those that actually do the job.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 06:18:16 AM »
No one should be surprised about Ted and free agency. Its fun to talk about as a fantasy but in reality its a waste of time.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:19:49 AM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Online Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
TT always has a target on his back during the FA frenzy. Every fan wants their team to get better and every fan knows that there are 1-2 players that will put them over the top. Reality sets in that TT isn't going after those 1-2 players and disappointment reins supreme. Well, TT may be making a mistake, but as was pointed out do we have all the information? Can we actually be wrong in our player assessment? Who knows, but I was privy to one FA that TT went after and he didn't sign him. The player stayed with his current team (the Vikings) and it wasn't because of money.
So TT isn't coming out with a press announcement and saying "we tried to sign 6 players and 3 didn't want to move to Green Bay, 2 wanted more money and 1 has a drinking problem". So we speculate and get disappointed in the lack of progress....when we have no idea what happens.

Besides, Green Bay just signed a FA DE. I know he's just a camp body, but there must be something there that he or one of the scouts saw that intrigued him. Lets see what the Packer's field next season and speculate where they fell short.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
The reality is that in FA, TT's goal isn't to use it to get better; it's to avoid getting worse. 

Keep as many of the guys you've got, lose as few as possible.  He was prepared to spend all his cap money, and still lose Hayward and Neal, perhaps Starks too.  But to retain Crosby, Perry, Raji, and perhaps Starks too. 

There wasn't enough $$ to retain all the existing contributors, so he tried to retain as many as he could fit, and let the others go. 

There certainly was not enough to add Green, Trevethan, Forte, and also retain Crosby, Perry, Raji, and Hayward. 

Limited resources, spend it as strategically as you can.  Given that comeback guys know the system, and usually give preferred deals to stay home, it's hardly surprising that you get competitive value-per-dollar on inside talent. 

I'm an optimist.  I'm actually hoping the lack of TE-addition will force MM to get creative, and to run more 4-WR sets, and to throw the ball more, rather than just forcing RR/Perillo to play ineffectively all the time, and continuing to have one of the higher run/pass ratios in the league despite not having a run-blocking TE or a good-run-blocking line.  Opening things up to 4-WR sets might help Rodgers, make the game more fun for everybody, better utilize the talent that we have, and might end up really doing more good for the run-game than using RR to block in predictable run-down situations does. 

It could work out great!

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
The problem with sitting out FA is dual:

1.)  It makes the draft even more important than it is--and this is not a good TE draft.

2.) Other teams in your division are not sitting it out, not even close.

Does everyone here recall that we did not take the division last year?  And the Vikes were a short missed FG from advancing onward in the playoffs.

And they signed Alex Boone to improve their OL.  The Bears have signed three players to improve their defense.  We actually are losing players, like Raji.

The old adage is that if you are not getting better during the offseason then you are getting worse, since everyone else is getting better.

But I guess TT knows a lot more about Justin Perillo than the rest of us do.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:00:46 AM by Gregg »

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
I think King's comments are fair.

Perhaps. In a general sense, its certainly fair to suggest that all teams have holes and that Peter has identified a hole in GB. But his suggested fix and ripping on TT for not getting L. Green aren't fair at all. They are typical of what you get from Peter King... a mile wide and an inch deep.
And its hard to blame him with so much of his time tied up in kissing Brady's ass.  :D
He panders to fans ( its his job) but rarely dives deep enough to offer any real insight. I've read better stuff from Donzo here on this board

I'm just an old schmoe on a message board who invested 99 seconds in reading the article that completely debunks his mis- placed rip on Thompson. If his professional work doesn't stand up to my amateur scrutiny, then its not really fair is it ?

The message I was trying to convey is not specific to Ladarius Green or any NFL writer, its the idea of asking yourself the question: " What is it that I don't know" when trying to close the gap between what you would do and what the Packers are actually doing. Free agency has a long ways to go and so does the draft. And if the holes aren't adequately addressed, that falls directly on the broad shoulders of the Packers front office as you suggested

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
 Green may or may not end up being a good player for the Steelers. His signing bonus was only 4.5 million for 4 years. This isn't alot of money. Remember that if you sign a free agent, you don't need to spend a high draft pick on that position. The Packers need a TE, ILB and NT in the draft, unless TT signs somebody. TT is not, nor will he ever be Ron Wolf.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
Isn't that the point?

Ron Wolf availed himself of every arrow in his quiver:  FA, UFA, trades, the draft.

Minny is going to have a good team next year.  They now have good management and a good coach.

It looks like the Bears are doing the same.

If all we do is stay in place, we are going to be endangered.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:16:35 PM by Gregg »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
Ron Wolf, some to seem to forget, was brought in to take a Packers team that was in the dumpster from coaching, players and administration.

Same holds true for some teams today that NEED to make moves to be more competitive and reach the playoffs and beyond.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
And what's the excuse on the four other guys I listed, plus Ben Watson?
There are always doubts out there aren't there?
That is why we got HOF'er Woodson relatively cheap.
Or is there something TT knows about Justin Perillo that we do not?

This is actually the third time you've tried the "Justin Perillo" punch line. Not sure it its not getting the response you'd hoped - or its a simple statement of fact - because as such, I agree with it. I figure TT actually does know more about Justin Perillo than we do.

I want the TE position addressed as well. Have been saying it for quite some time now. (Hell - I was on board and hopeful Colt Lyeria could give us whatever it was he was supposed to be gifted at.....but not to be) I consider a pass catching TE a STAPLE in advanced offenses now a days. The days of Toolbox Ed West are over IMO. Given our FA situation / circumstances, its been my guess that it would be taken care of in the draft. Not sure about that - cant say anybody's whispered in my ear about it - just think so. Dont have a particular player in mind even - just the characteristics I'd like to see: a (greater) pass catching threat (than I deem RR to be).

Mayock, Landry, Bob Fox (and others) have all had nice things to say about Hunter Henry. His videos don't disappoint (me at least). He's stated to be the best TE in the country (which is no small feat by the way...that happens to be ALOT off TE's. I know all we "Super Athletes" can get lost in "this guys no good" mindset - but being the BEST at anything that size is an athletic achievement not to be sneezed at) and it appears somewhat likely he'd be selected around our draft slot.......so, thats good enough for me. I dont sweat the small stuff. I hope we snag him and AR turns him into an outright STAR.

If not - oh well - I'm sure TT and crew will snag someone of talent to fill in somewhere (ILB/DT/OLB....who knows) - and I'm hopeful they'll address TE properly later on.  RR as #2 would fit me just fine. Although I might want him replaced on passing downs, he's not in fact a dog. Justin Perillo? To answer your question....from what I've seen and know....the #3 TE slot is fine with me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:52:54 PM by Leader »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »
The problem with sitting out FA is dual:

1.)  It makes the draft even more important than it is--and this is not a good TE draft.

And its not a good FA crop of TE's either. So, either the Packers pay more for an older player, or get a player in the draft who is younger and cheaper.

2.) Other teams in your division are not sitting it out, not even close.

Simply adding FA's doesn't guarantee success. However, it definitely does affect your salary cap for years.

Does everyone here recall that we did not take the division last year?  And the Vikes were a short missed FG from advancing onward in the playoffs.

And they signed Alex Boone to improve their OL.  The Bears have signed three players to improve their defense.  We actually are losing players, like Raji.

Lets try to be fair here. Again, adding FA's doesn't automatically mean the team is better on the field. Also, Raji is taking a hiatus for a year because of personal/family issues. Its not as if the Packers lost him in FA. Raji himself said he left a "nice deal on the table" by the Packers.

The old adage is that if you are not getting better during the offseason then you are getting worse, since everyone else is getting better.

Again, we'll see when the games begin if the teams who signed those FA's are better. There are no guarantees.

But I guess TT knows a lot more about Justin Perillo than the rest of us do.

What is this fetish you have with Perillo? Did he steal your lunch money when you were in school together?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »
To be fair to Peter King, who I enjoy reading, the Chargers signed Gates to a two year deal.

Second, they also signed Travis Benjamin as an FA.  Which means they have Gates, Allen and Benjamin as starters.

Therefore, they may not have wanted to get into a bidding war over a second string TE.

See, that was in the San Diego Union Tribune also.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:04 PM »
Isn't that the point?
Ron Wolf availed himself of every arrow in his quiver:  FA, UFA, trades, the draft.
Minny is going to have a good team next year.  They now have good management and a good coach.
It looks like the Bears are doing the same.
If all we do is stay in place, we are going to be endangered.

We are endangered, absolutely, and teams may pass us.  Vikings have a lot of good young talent, they were better than us last year, and may well be again this year.  Bears beat us, maybe they'll beat us again.  . 

But, everybody has the same salary cap.  Vikings and Bears sign guys, but they also lose guys.  Salary-cap-wise, they're staying in place, we're staying in place, everybody under salary-cap is staying in the same place budget-wise. 

Using every arrow in quiver?  In a sense, every team is using pretty much every dollar in their salary cap, so in a sense every team is using every arrow in their quiver. 

To me the real question is what you spend it on.  You've got the same limited number of dollar-arrows in your quiver, whether you spend them on retaining outside guys or spend them on retaining guys you've already had and trained. 

In a different sense, the question is whether we should have exchanged Crosby ($16/4) and instead gone outside and signed a scrimmage player; or should have exchanged Perry ($5), signed an outside player, and created a hole at OLB that would then have absorbed one of our high draft picks. 

Sure, unfilled holes command draft picks.  But if it's sign Perry and draft a TE, versus sign Green and draft and OLB, you had an unfilled hole requiring draft attention either way. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »
Ricky:

1. When you say its not a good crop of Free Agent tight ends, maybe, but its the way you look at it.  IMO, I would take almost any of those guys I listed over what we have right now.

2. Maybe you did not notice, but the CAP went up substantially this year.  And it will probably go up about 4-5 million next year.  And BTW, was not Charles Woodson an FA pick up?  So there are two sides to that question.

3.  Most everyone would say that the four FA's Minny and Chicago signed are good players according to their records.

4.  I don't have lunch money.  I am retired.  But Justin is our number two tight end right now.  In other words he is an injury away from being our starter.  Think defenses are worried about that?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:40:45 PM by Gregg »