November 24, 2017, 06:48:02 AM

Author Topic: Round 1, Pick 27 (#27 overall) - Kenny Clark DT/DE UCLA  (Read 7855 times)

Offline #66

• HOF Member
Re: Round 1, Pick 27 (#27 overall) - Kenny Clark DT/DE UCLA
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
If you look at our roster right now DL is a bigger need than ILB.  With Raji gone and Pennell suspended early in the season we are pretty thin here.  Who do we have besides Daniels and Guion with D. Jones moving to LB?
D. Jones isn't moving permanently to LB. He will be playing both LB and DL just as he did late in the season.

It boggles my mind that TT continues to ignore a major weakness at ILB. They had a major chance to fill it with Reggie Ragland which is who I wanted. Don't like this pick at all. I guess TT loves his stiffs at ILB.

Rob Demovsky give my feelings on this pick. Keeps the D where it was, but dies nothing to advance the defense to a Super Bowl one:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/29583/packers-pick-ucla-defensive-tackle-kenny-clark-in-first-round

Our need at NT is blatant - arguably worse than ILB.  Ragland has health concerns - Heck - All the Alabama D studs dropped out of the first.  I'd much rather plug the run up front than have Ragland tackling 8 yards down the field on first down.  Like Vic says - you take the bigs!  :D
I would rather get off the field on 3rd down instead of repeatedly getting killed over the middle because TT can't be bothered to invest in a ILB who can cover.
Ragland is not a coverage ILB and left the field frequently on third down at Alabama.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »

Ragland is not a coverage ILB and left the field frequently on third down at Alabama.

I agree.  I don't see much in the way of coverage linebackers in this draft, at least not worthy of a high pick. 

Given that, I like that we are getting a guy who can control the line of scrimmage.  At UCLA he was demanding double teams by mid season, and didn't benefit from the presence of other first round talent. If the DL can get to the point of controlling the line of scrimmage, then I think we have the CB and safety talent to handle the passing game.  I think this pick is a great start.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:07:38 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »
I don't think Kenny is a Raji clone.  He had 164 tackles in college.  Raji could go weeks without a tackle.
I think Ted only trades down when his specific guy is gone, and he has to choose among a group of guys he is lukewarm on.  I believe Clark was his guy, so he picked him.  Since Butler went right after GB's pick, I don't think Clark would be there in round 2 at SF's pick.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
I just checked Packers.com, it looks like Clark will wear #97 with Ringo switching to #99.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
My favorite thing about him is he isn't flashy. He was invited to the draft, and could have blown a wad of cash buying himself, his family, and his entourage, if he even has one, new threads and all that bling the young guys usually go for.

He stayed at home with his family and friends and didn't go in for extravagant illusion of the NFL Draft. He automatically gets a +2 in my book for that alone. Also the second he put that Packer cap on he looked like he'd been a Packer for years.

Welcome to the Packers Kenny Clark.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:48:42 PM by claymaker »

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
Interview with his coach confirmed that he can move up and down the line and that his pass rush skills are developing well.  He would have played more 3 and 5 technique if he had come back for another year.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »
Early Grade;

27. GREEN BAY PACKERS
Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
GRADE: A
This isn't a sexy pick, given Clark's relative inability to rush the passer, but Clark is an instant wall for a defensive line in need of stability. At 6' 3" and 314 pounds, he can play 3-tech in a four-man front, or kick out to end in a 3–4 base. He's also a natural nose tackle with tremendous strength, and he's only 20 years old—he's got a lot of great football in front of him. He may be a two-down rotational guy to start his NFL career, with the opportunity to do a lot more.

SI.com
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
Rob Demovsky:
What stands out to coach Mike McCarthy about first-round pick Kenny Clark: "His tempo, tenacity and balance, and I think you saw some of that today in his drill work."

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »
Little surprised he hasn't signed yet when players just before and after are in the fold.

Don't think being in school is an excuse.

2016 Draft Tracker 1st Round

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 05:42:21 PM »
Kenny Clark signed today.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Kenny Clark signed today.

:)

Thats everybody now...right?