September 26, 2017, 07:59:19 AM

Author Topic: Next Head Coach  (Read 6207 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Next Head Coach
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »
According to monday morning QB (posted June 2015), here are the top 6 candidates for an upcoming HC job.

Worth noting is the apparent serious shortcomings of McDaniels, in how he treats people, an absolute no-no in a small town like Green Bay

LINK http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/10/nfl-future-head-coaching-candidates-adam-gase-josh-mcdaniels-teryl-austin

Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC) (Other joint equal prospect in 2015 was Gase, who is now Miami's HC)
Teryl Austin (Lions DC)
Jim Mora (UCLA head coach)
Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M head coach)
Pep Hamilton (went from Colts OC last year to Browns OC, associate HC and QB coach)
David Shaw (Stanford head coach)
Frank Reich (fired as Chargers OC Jan 2016, went to Philly as OC)

I do like Austin, he is about the right age (51) and could update the defensive scheme. Of course that might also require a hot OC if you are not convinced Bennett can hold down that spot sans McCarthy, perhaps the Packers recent acquisition as WR coach, Luke Getsy......

I'm just speculating here, and I'm not fully behind making a change (not yet at least), just pointing out the up and coming guys. A change could easily have the Packers sliding to mid-table mediocrity, or worse, instead of making things better. Before you make a change, you first need to fully accept it IS a dangerous roll of the dice.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:22:40 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
McDaniels history with the Broncos was several years ago. Like I said, I believe he has learned form BB and may be ready for another opportunity. This job would be devoid of GM responsibilities which created to many entanglements with personnel. Not getting along with Cutler and Marshall is hardly a negative.

It was more than just Cutler and Marschall.  The team hated him, the assistants hated him, and people in the front office hated him.

I think he would have a hard time putting together a staff just based on how he treated his assistants last time.  Some guys just aren't cut out for head coach, and Josh may be one of them.

How many times have we seen former HCs take coordinator jobs and become super successful (like Wade Phillips in Denver for example)?

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
McDaniels history with the Broncos was several years ago. Like I said, I believe he has learned form BB and may be ready for another opportunity. This job would be devoid of GM responsibilities which created to many entanglements with personnel. Not getting along with Cutler and Marshall is hardly a negative.

It was more than just Cutler and Marschall.  The team hated him, the assistants hated him, and people in the front office hated him.

I think he would have a hard time putting together a staff just based on how he treated his assistants last time.  Some guys just aren't cut out for head coach, and Josh may be one of them.

How many times have we seen former HCs take coordinator jobs and become super successful (like Wade Phillips in Denver for example)?
Ray Rhodes. Stunk as a HC. Flourished as a defensive coordinator.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »

How many coaches were completely failures their first times around?  Guys like Bill Belichick, Mike Shannahan and Pete Carroll wouldn't have been given a second chance at being a headcoach  if their entire coaching career was judged on their success in their very short first tenures as head coaches. McDaniels surely made mistakes when he was HC but I think he likely learned from those mistakes in the same manner the guys I named learned. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 08:25:48 PM »
The overwhelming majority of the board now seems to be behind moving on from McCarthy. I was 3 years ahead of the curve. Whoever it is I want three things. A coach whose  defense gets in the opponents face and manhandles them. We have the talent to play that way yet we don't. Sure we're short at CB right now, but no excuse for how soft we've been on defense under McCarthy.

An offensive line that can beat the piss out of the defense in the 4th quarter and get first downs to salt away a game.

A coach who plays to win the game rather than not lose. Go for the throat when you get a team down. DO NOT allow them to get the ball back late in the game and you are up less than 9 points.

McCarthy is none of those things. Not to mention he's a terrible, just terrible game manager. One of the worst in the league.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 09:18:56 PM »

Yikes.  I don't want a guy like that!  It might not be a bad idea to look outside the organization for a new HC - perhaps in the college ranks?   I do believe MM isn't effective as our HC any longer.  We continue to see the same issues and mistakes repeated on both sides of the ball.  I'm sure they are trying to correct it but nothing is getting fixed and AR isn't getting any younger.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:52 PM »
Kyle Shannahan is a long innovative offensive HC candidate.  What he's done in Atlanta is impressive.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »
Harbaugh has about a 5 year shelf life.  He'll  start out winning but he's so abrasive that as soon things don't go well, his schtick doesnt go well with most teams.  Works great when your 12-4.  When you become 9-7, you are looking for a train to put him on.

OK, so he has a five year shelf life. If the Packers make it to two SB's during that time, would that be worth the risk? Because that is what he nearly did with a much less talented 49ers team. Less talented? Look what happened to the team once he left, and explain it another way. And exactly why would the teams not perform? Harbaugh had problems with the front office, not the team. I would definitely be on board the train going to recruit him from Michigan, and asking him to move a little further west. As Horace Greeley so famously advised.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
Harbaugh has about a 5 year shelf life.  He'll  start out winning but he's so abrasive that as soon things don't go well, his schtick doesnt go well with most teams.  Works great when your 12-4.  When you become 9-7, you are looking for a train to put him on.

OK, so he has a five year shelf life. If the Packers make it to two SB's during that time, would that be worth the risk? Because that is what he nearly did with a much less talented 49ers team. Less talented? Look what happened to the team once he left, and explain it another way. And exactly why would the teams not perform? Harbaugh had problems with the front office, not the team. I would definitely be on board the train going to recruit him from Michigan, and asking him to move a little further west. As Horace Greeley so famously advised.

Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan.  And if he was, Green Bay couldn't afford him IMO. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan.  And if he was, Green Bay couldn't afford him IMO.

Maybe he wouldn't leave Michigan. That's debatable, and the only real answer would be to approach him and negotiate. But, why couldn't Green Bay afford him? The money for coaches is unlimited by league restrictions, and doesn't count against the cap. Or do you mean he'd want too much control of the team? 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »

Maybe he wouldn't leave Michigan. That's debatable, and the only real answer would be to approach him and negotiate. But, why couldn't Green Bay afford him? The money for coaches is unlimited by league restrictions, and doesn't count against the cap. Or do you mean he'd want too much control of the team?

I don't think its that debatable.  He's having a new child in Ann Arbor and he lives right next door to a lot of his immediate family.  On top of that, he enjoys college football more than professional as he's allowed to be his weird, quirky self.  This year he made a million dollars more than the highest paid coach in the NFL.  Given the way Green Bay spends money, I can't see them making a coach the highest paid coach in the NFL.  I also can't see him leaving for money, as UofM could afford to match and exceed any offer Green Bay could possibly offer him.   

As far as control, it was one of the reasons he left San Fran.  IMO, if he ever comes back to the NFL it will be for total control over his roster something he'll never see in Green Bay.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:19:54 PM by SSG »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »
This year he made a million dollars more than the highest paid coach in the NFL.  Given the way Green Bay spends money, I can't see them making a coach the highest paid coach in the NFL.

Would any other NFL Team?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
This year he made a million dollars more than the highest paid coach in the NFL.  Given the way Green Bay spends money, I can't see them making a coach the highest paid coach in the NFL.

Make a coach the highest paid coach in the NFL or make Jim Harbaugh the highest paid coach in the NFL?  Given the success he had, with the talent he had in the limited time frame, yes.  If Harbaugh wanted to coach in the NFL again (which I don't think he currently does) I could see a team paying 10+ million dollars a year for him.  Even at that price though, he wouldn't be leaving Michigan for money because they've got the funds to match any offer he'd possibly get in the NFL IMO.  Its one of the most cash rich schools in the country and their only making more with Harbaugh in the fold. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »

SSG, I believe you are correct. Thanks for the input. Harbaugh is scheduled to make $9 million this year, while Nick Saban is "only" being paid $7.5 million. How does this match up with NFL coaches? Here's a list of the top ten paid coaches: http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2016/01/10_highest_paid_nfl_coaches_wh.html

And, yes, MM is on the list.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
Hate to be right on this one, but how many years have I been calling for McCarthy's head? He got lucky to win one Super Bowl, LUCKY! He's below average as a head coach, maybe even well below average.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "