September 26, 2017, 07:59:07 AM

Author Topic: Next Head Coach  (Read 6206 times)

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
Re: Next Head Coach
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
Hate to be right on this one, but how many years have I been calling for McCarthy's head? He got lucky to win one Super Bowl, LUCKY! He's below average as a head coach, maybe even well below average.

He's Mike Sherman but he got a postseason stretch where is QB played at an unreal level. Hopefully he gets the same treatment as he's got substantially more talent than Sherman had when he got fired and he's giving us the same sort of product. 

I'm 35 and have never been embarrassed to be a Packer fan and right now I am.  This team looks as bad as any team in the NFL and there is nothing right now that gives me hope. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2016, 05:36:31 PM »
Lovie Smith is currently the HC at Illinois. The problem, if anyone would be interested in him, is he just signed a new contract with the Illini for six more years.   http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-lovie-smith-illinois-contract-20160908-story.html
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Lovie Smith is currently the HC at Illinois. The problem, if anyone would be interested in him, is he just signed a new contract with the Illini for six more years.   http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-lovie-smith-illinois-contract-20160908-story.html

Lovie Smith??  Dear god.   :P

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2016, 06:51:25 PM »
Lovie Smith??  Dear god.   :P

Just throwing out names, not making endorsements. Because in the end, if we posters want to replace MM, it is our duty to offer an option at HC. So, and this is for everyone, not just Pugger, who would you have replace MM? And, since it seems TT would also have to go, who would replace him? Wolf? Someone else?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline ramrod

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
Lovie had that look on his face yesterday that screamed, "how have I sunk so low?"

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 12:00:02 AM »
Just throwing out names, not making endorsements. Because in the end, if we posters want to replace MM, it is our duty to offer an option at HC.
I thought that was Ted Thompson's job? 
Anyway, as long as we're dreaming I'll take Jim Harbaugh as head coach.  That may be unrealistic, but no more so than Lovie Smith.
I don't want Smith as head coach, but I would consider him as defensive coordinator.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
How about.........

Pat Shurmur Vikes OC
Darrell Bevell Seattle OC

or maybe Mike Patricia (Pats DC) with someone like Norv Turner put in as OC)

Just shooting the breeze here.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »
Here are a few lists.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000715672/article/head-coach-candidates-josh-mcdaniels-tops-the-list

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/11/14/13620576/packers-fire-mike-mccarthy-offseason-replacement-targets-josh-mcdaniels-kyle-shanahan-david-shaw-nfl

I like the idea of McDaniels, Shanahan, Shaw and will throw another name in the hat, Lane Kiffin. Not sure if any of them will be great coaches, but three of them are pretty good with QB's and solid offensive minds.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
Here are a few lists.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000715672/article/head-coach-candidates-josh-mcdaniels-tops-the-list

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/11/14/13620576/packers-fire-mike-mccarthy-offseason-replacement-targets-josh-mcdaniels-kyle-shanahan-david-shaw-nfl

I like the idea of McDaniels, Shanahan, Shaw and will throw another name in the hat, Lane Kiffin. Not sure if any of them will be great coaches, but three of them are pretty good with QB's and solid offensive minds.

I love McDaniels scheme and what we've seen him do in New England with the talent they've got.  His past scares me a little but he's a substantially better offensive mind than McCarthy.

I like a lot of things about Kyle Shanahan but I'm not sure I'm convinced his scheme will work in Green Bay.  He uses a lot of iso routes and thats similar to the scheme that McCarthy has used to drive this offense into the dumps.  Shaw doesn't have the experience for my liking and Lane Kiffin has train wreck written all over him.  He's never had success in the NFL as a HC or as a coordinator.  I know McDaniels had his issues his first time around but he's shown to be an elite coordinator.  Kiffin's been a train wreck as a HC at all 3 locations he's been the guy calling the shots.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Sounds like there are some legitimate options.  The last thing I would want is another Ray Rhoads/Mike Sherman situation.  Too bad you can't hire someone first, then fire, to make sure you get somebody good.

We've heard a lot about how Green Bay is supposedly not the most attractive place for players to come to.  I would think that it would be an attractive spot for head coaches though.  You get a Hall of Fame quarterback to work with, and you will probably get a longer leash without an owner.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
Here are a few lists.

I love McDaniels scheme and what we've seen him do in New England with the talent they've got.  His past scares me a little but he's a substantially better offensive mind than McCarthy.

I like a lot of things about Kyle Shanahan but I'm not sure I'm convinced his scheme will work in Green Bay.  He uses a lot of iso routes and thats similar to the scheme that McCarthy has used to drive this offense into the dumps.  Shaw doesn't have the experience for my liking and Lane Kiffin has train wreck written all over him.  He's never had success in the NFL as a HC or as a coordinator.  I know McDaniels had his issues his first time around but he's shown to be an elite coordinator.  Kiffin's been a train wreck as a HC at all 3 locations he's been the guy calling the shots.

Not sure anyone was going to succeed in Oakland. I think he's matured a lot since being with the Tide for going on 3 years.  I'm not sold on any of them, but do not discount previous failures or perceived failures as predictors of future opportunities.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 10:22:13 AM »
Let me shift the discussion a bit

Even if Mc Carthy returns we know there will be changes in the coaching staff. 

Zook may be gone.

My guess is that Capers will be 'encouraged' to retire.  Moss and Perry are supposed to be respected throughout the League.  Do you hire internally or get someone new.

Supposedly Capers has one of the thicker playbooks around with all kinds of schemes and blitzes.  Maybe they would be better off with a simpler scheme given their reliance on younger players..

I don't know what kind of changes you would make on offense as it is Mc Carthy's show.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:02 AM »
Let me shift the discussion a bit

Even if Mc Carthy returns we know there will be changes in the coaching staff. 

Zook may be gone.

My guess is that Capers will be 'encouraged' to retire.  Moss and Perry are supposed to be respected throughout the League.  Do you hire internally or get someone new.

Supposedly Capers has one of the thicker playbooks around with all kinds of schemes and blitzes.  Maybe they would be better off with a simpler scheme given their reliance on younger players..

I don't know what kind of changes you would make on offense as it is Mc Carthy's show.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in someone new to run the defense.  If - we all hope - Dom is "encouraged" to retire I'm guessing Moss will take over that job.

I think we need a different WR coach.  These guys still don't know how to beat man coverage and as long as Mac is insistent employing this scheme we need someone who can instruct our receivers how to get open.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
McCarthy is a terrible coach. Nothing chances in 2017 if he's still around. Making smallish changes like getting rid of Capers is window dressing.