November 20, 2017, 01:44:31 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Falcons Game Day Thread  (Read 12619 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Falcons Game Day Thread
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:55:43 PM »
This game was "flexed" to the second game of the day, ao it should be available to one and all. This could definitely be a "trick or treat" game. It would be a neat trick to hold Julio Jones to a small amount of yardage; and it would be a treat if, for once, if MM gets a big lead in the first half, he didn't have the offense play not to lose. This is a toss-up game, IMO. It all depends on the Packers offense (see: Rodgers, Aaron). If the team can put together two good halves of football, this could turn into a shootout, like last time. If not... well, that would be a nasty trick to overcome.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Falcons Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
Phew......
The Bucs play at home @ 1 - so that time slot was taken.
I now stand a much better chance of seeing the game (and offering my real time insights on the GDTread that so many enjoy!) because of this move   :)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:27 PM »

Shuttin it down till Game Day.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 03:55:27 AM »
The hits just keep on comin.......

Randall Cobb to miss Falcons game, per report
Hamstring trouble will keep Randall Cobb from suiting up Sunday as the Packers take on the Falcons.

Already down both of their top-2 running backs, the Green Bay Packers must also make do without one of the top receivers. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the team plans to hold out Randall Cobb to prevent any re-aggravation of his hamstring injury.

Cobb, who participated in practice this week only in a limited capacity, has played well over the past three weeks. During that span, the sixth-year wideout has either produced 95 or more receiving yards, a touchdown, or both. With Eddie Lacy and James Starks missing the past several weeks, Cobb has also seen time in the backfield.

With Cobb on the sidelines, versatile offensive weapon Ty Montgomery could receive even more touches both as a running back and pass catcher. Last week's breakout star Davante Adams also figures to see a heavy diet of targets as well.

On the year, Cobb has amassed 421 yards from scrimmage and two touchdowns. He has also returned four punts for 10 yards.

Packers Injury Report

Out

TE Jared Cook (ankle)
    CB Damarious Randall (groin)
    CB Quinten Rollins (groin)
    RB James Starks (knee)

Questionable

WR Randall Cobb (hamstring)
    G T.J. Lang (hip)
    OLB Clay Matthews (hamstring)
    WR/RB Ty Montgomery (illness)

Falcons Injury Report

Out

RB Tevin Coleman (hamstring)

Questionable

DE Dwight Freeney (quad)

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »
We'll have to see how MM responds now.  He can't run his 11 personnel out there because he only trusts Cobb, Adams, RR and Jordy to run isolation routes.  He needs Montgomery in the backfield so just swapping Montgomery for Cobb wouldn't be a good option either.

I'm really hoping to see 4 wide today with Allison and Janis on the outside with Jordy and Adams in the slot.  Both Jordy and Adams simply get open on slant routes and both offer a superior vertical threat up the seam than Cobb or Richard Rodgers offer. 

Honestly I would like MM to start using Jordy like the Cardinals use Fitz.  He's essentially been relegated to the short/intermediate routes where he can use his size to box defenders out.  Asking a guy coming off an ACL at 31 to run vertical routes all day just isn't smart. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »
I fear it is going to be a long afternoon.  I'm not going to grouse if we lose because I'm expecting us to.  This is just a bad match-up for us with the state of our team at this time.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 09:31:44 AM »
We'll have to see how MM responds now.  He can't run his 11 personnel out there because he only trusts Cobb, Adams, RR and Jordy to run isolation routes.  He needs Montgomery in the backfield so just swapping Montgomery for Cobb wouldn't be a good option either.

I'm really hoping to see 4 wide today with Allison and Janis on the outside with Jordy and Adams in the slot.  Both Jordy and Adams simply get open on slant routes and both offer a superior vertical threat up the seam than Cobb or Richard Rodgers offer. 

Honestly I would like MM to start using Jordy like the Cardinals use Fitz.  He's essentially been relegated to the short/intermediate routes where he can use his size to box defenders out.  Asking a guy coming off an ACL at 31 to run vertical routes all day just isn't smart. 

Montgomery's questionable. Dont know what exactly is wrong with him, but this is getting ridiculous. Top two RB's. Top three CB's. Not sure about top WR's. Its an assault on our skill positions - just when we're going up against the top scoring team in the league. It's a bummer.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »
NFL.com reporting Cobb is out for the game. If we win it's a miracle and Rodgers absolutely goes off. I somehow don't see previous results that would allow me to see that as a possibility!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
If we win it's a miracle and Rodgers absolutely goes off.

Agree and we're gonna need Matty-ice to have one of his meltdown games (read: turnovers, turnovers, turnovers - hopefully of the scoring variety). AR's gonna have to run for 1st downs when necessary.  Davis has to be ready to play - extensively - and produce - a few long touchdowns wouldnt hurt. We could get stomped in this game. Is CM playing (?) or is his hamstring keeping him out?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »
If we win it's a miracle and Rodgers absolutely goes off.

Agree and we're gonna need Matty-ice to have one of his meltdown games (read: turnovers, turnovers, turnovers - hopefully of the scoring variety). AR's gonna have to run for 1st downs when necessary.  Davis has to be ready to play - extensively - and produce - a few long touchdowns wouldnt hurt. We could get stomped in this game. Is CM playing (?) or is his hamstring keeping him out?

Not sure at this point.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
I cannot see this as a win when the Falcons ARE in a high gear, scoring wise, while Green Bay has been spinning its wheels there. Going against them with the loos of the Packers top 3 CBs, best RB, best TE, a recovering no.1 WR (and so on) looks an almost guaranteed loss. But that word, 'almost', is why they have to play the game, crazy stuff happens.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
Remember the game against New England in 2014? Adams was the unexpected star of the game, with 6 catches for 121 yards. Totally unexpected. so, will it be Davis, Allison, Montgomery who is the star of this game? Because I definitely expect the unexpected from the Packers offense today. As far as Julio Jones goes, keep him and the Falcons out of the end zone, and the Packers could extend Atlanta's tailspin another week. So, I'll buck the conventional wisdom that is already chalking this up as a loss. Let Jones get his yards- big deal, as long as he doesn't score. Similar to Calvin Johnson- lots of yards, but little real impact on the final score.

Second, even if the Packers lose, big deal. It's a regular season game, and it's the playoffs that matter. Make it to that level, get hot, and let the chips fall where they may. Pollyanna-ish? Green and gold goggles? Whatever! Until the game is over and the final score is posted, the game is still winnable.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
Remember the game against New England in 2014? Adams was the unexpected star of the game, with 6 catches for 121 yards. Totally unexpected. so, will it be Davis, Allison, Montgomery who is the star of this game? Because I definitely expect the unexpected from the Packers offense today. As far as Julio Jones goes, keep him and the Falcons out of the end zone, and the Packers could extend Atlanta's tailspin another week. So, I'll buck the conventional wisdom that is already chalking this up as a loss. Let Jones get his yards- big deal, as long as he doesn't score. Similar to Calvin Johnson- lots of yards, but little real impact on the final score.

Second, even if the Packers lose, big deal. It's a regular season game, and it's the playoffs that matter. Make it to that level, get hot, and let the chips fall where they may. Pollyanna-ish? Green and gold goggles? Whatever! Until the game is over and the final score is posted, the game is still winnable.
Uhh, the regular season game is vs. an NFC team which goes a long way towards tiebreakers and puts you further behind for the division.  This game is important.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
at least its a national game... Ryan disappears in those.  Heres to hoping!  thumbsup)

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »
Monty out with Illness??? Yelp!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:59:33 PM by Toddfather »