September 25, 2017, 07:19:58 PM

Author Topic: Player, coaches observations  (Read 781 times)

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
Player, coaches observations
« on: November 07, 2016, 02:28:47 AM »
NE plays with a purpose. You can see it in their eyes. They have chips on their shoulders and are mean, even after all their success year in and year out. Top teams play with a purpose and are ready to knock your brains out. Doesn't make any difference who the opponent is. I just don't see it in the Pack.

I'm starting to think we have good, nice football players but I just don't see that mean streak, except for maybe Daniels and HaHa. Our def. coor. sits up in a nice,  warm cushy atmosphere and is no way able to fire up a defense, much less anything else.

TT is drafting nice, able and decent football players, afraid of anyone that might rock a boat. It's time this boat gets ROCKED.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
Re: Player, coaches observations
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 06:39:27 PM »
I don't have the PFF rankings, so surely won't be as scientific as they are.  But, lets try it.  Lets take every position - rank them 1 - 32 and see where we think the Packers stack up.  1 would be the best at the position - 32 the worst. 

QB - Rodgers - Top 5. 
RB - Lacy - Around 20.  Just not healthy enough.
WR1 - Nelson - 12-15 range
WR2 - Adams - 15-20 range
Slot - Cobb - 5-8
TE - Rodgers - 28-32
LT - Bak - 8 - 10
LG - Taylor - 28-32
C - Tretter/Linsley - 15
RG - Lang - 5-8
Bulaga - 7-10 

Defense is tougher based on 3-4 or 4-3 schemes.  So lets say a 1 is a probable starter for all teams - 2 for 24 teams - 3 for 16 the teams - 4 for 8 teams and a 5 a starter for no one.  DL - OLB - ILB only.  Past and present production has to factor in. 

DL - Daniels would be the only one that would rank as a 1 -   Guion may check in just as a 3.  All others a 5.

OLB - Mathews - Based on production - a 2.  Based on past a 1.   Peppers - pretty much non-existent, but like Mathews, is living on his past.  Production is a 3 - past moves him to a 2.  Perry is merely a 3. 

ILB - Ryan is a 4.  Martinez is a 4.  Neither is a difference maker. 

For DB's- go back to the 1 - 32 rankings.

LCB - Rollins - 30.  Has a lot of work to do.
RCB - Gunter - 31.  About the worst.
SS - Burnett - 15
FS - Dix - 15
Nickel - Hyde - 20

K - Crosby - 12
P - Schumm - 30

This team has offensive talent and appears to be lacking defensive talent and depth in the line and backfield.  The outside LB's are about average, but the inside guys are way below average. 

TT can draft average guys and tends to reach for the average.  He doesn't take shots at high ceiling guys with questions.  (Myles Jack is an example)  He doesn't believe in free agency and as a result, goes into seasons with noticeable holes in the roster and hopes that injuries don't negatively impact the team. 

This philosophy no longer is a Super Bowl philosophy and until a change is made, it will lead to the more seasons like this year. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: Player, coaches observations
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 12:33:08 AM »
You may be  undervaluing Jake Ryan.  I thought someone said before the TN game he was our leading tackler.  it also doesn't help to have Clay in street clothes every week.  The attention he gets helps the other players make plays.

I think we can win with our regular starters.  What is killing us is the lack of decent depth behind these starters.  And when a position gets ravaged by injuries you are really behind the 8-Ball.