November 22, 2017, 10:28:30 AM

Author Topic: Week 14 Opponent :: Seattle Seahawks  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
Re: Week 14 Opponent :: Seattle Seahawks
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
Losing Earl Thomas is a massive, massive blow. They're still a good defense without him, but he's probably their best player.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 10:30:13 PM »
He might be the best safety in football.

Wow, first we dodge Clowney and now Thomas.

Seattle looked pretty good tonight though.

But the Panthers are imploding.  They have really lost it.  I wonder what the record is for a team's winning percentage after a SB appearance.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »
Losing Earl Thomas is a massive, massive blow. They're still a good defense without him, but he's probably their best player.

Better than Sherman? Let's not go overboard here. The loss of Thomas didn't seem to affect the defense at all last night. And the sudden loss of a starter would usually be seen immediately, since it was unexpected.

Now, what Seattle team will show up Sunday? The juggernaut that made the Panthers look like new born kittens? Or the team that lost to the Bucs and tied the Cardinals, scoring a total of 11 points in those two games? Who knows? And what Packers team will show up? And to offer a rather rosy perspective, the Texans game could be seen as that mythical/real "trap game". That the Packers were  looking forward to Seattle, knowing they are tough opponents, and therefore not playing p to their potential.

Whatever, the team has won two in a row after losing four in a row. Enjoy the turnaround as long as it lasts. Because winning always is better than losing.

And for those who are concerned, Rodgers says he's no worse after the Texans game- but here's hoping he doesn't decide to slide on his bad leg again

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/05/aaron-rodgers-got-through-game-without-a-major-setback-to-hamstring/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:22:09 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 07:39:28 AM »
Two things about last night.

1. Carolina has completely imploded and are a shadow of their last year's self. Injuries don't help either.

2. Seattle wanted revenge for the playoff loss and Newton talking trash about "karma" after the game.

We have to play our best, but we can beat them. Now if Perry and Matthews are playing at 80% or less, that task becomes very tall.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
This will be a tough matchup for us. 

The Seahawks passing game revolves around Jimmy Graham and Doug Baldwin.  I feel that the Packers secondary can take Baldwin out of the game, but we have always been susceptible to the dominant tight end when the rest of the receiver corps is adequate.  Tyler Lockett is the wild card, and if I was in the Seahawks shoes, I would scheme ways to get Lockett on Gunter as Gunter has struggled with the guys like Lockett that have short area quickness.  With his mobility, I don't see us sacking Wilson, and we will need to settle for keeping him in the pocket, obstruct his view, and make him throw a bit earlier than he would like.

I think for the Packers to stay in this, they will have to score a lot of points.  Sherman, as usual should be able to shut down his receiver, at least on anything downfield.  I don't see us having the capacity to run on them.  Maybe Christine Michael will have extra incentive to sting the team that cut him despite carrying the load for the first half of the season, but I doubt that is enough.  If McCarthy has been saving plays capitalizing on Jared Cook, now is the time to use them.  Additionally, with Rodgers hamstring issue, we will need to go hard with the short pass to Cobb and Montgomery.

Sorry for the pessimism, but I see this as Seahawks 31- Packers 21. :(

All that being said, the Seahawks seem to have an ability to come out in some games flat and just not produce.  Hopefully they find that in them this week.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:28:39 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
Thomas Rawls is the new beast mode.  He is running all over and through Carolina tonight.  He's very tough to bring down and might give GB fits.

We haven't exactly been lighting it up at home this season, but if this game was in Seattle I'd have very little hope.  GB has a shot, but needs to play their best game of the season to win.

Rawls was injured as well last night, possible concussion.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/seahawks-thomas-rawls-going-through-concussion-protocol/

You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 10:44:07 AM »
Thomas Rawls is the new beast mode.  He is running all over and through Carolina tonight.  He's very tough to bring down and might give GB fits.

We haven't exactly been lighting it up at home this season, but if this game was in Seattle I'd have very little hope.  GB has a shot, but needs to play their best game of the season to win.

Rawls was injured as well last night, possible concussion.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/seahawks-thomas-rawls-going-through-concussion-protocol/

Unless Rawls went out again - I think he passed the protocol and returned to the game.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 10:52:58 AM »
I would imagine Christine Michael might be pretty motivated for this game.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »

Better than Sherman? Let's not go overboard here. The loss of Thomas didn't seem to affect the defense at all last night. And the sudden loss of a starter would usually be seen immediately, since it was unexpected.

Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner are the heart and soul of that Seattle defense. Sherman gets all the media attention because he’s a lively interview and talks a lot of trash. And of course he is a real good player.

But make no mistake, Earl Thomas is the Big Hammer that fuels that defense.

That written, even without Thomas, this is as tough a defense as the Packers will face all season. For the Packers to win this game they’re going to have dig deep and come up with something extra. It will be VERY interesting to see how they respond to the challenge...

GO PACKERS!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:35:11 AM by JQ »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
It appears I'll be SOL viewing the game from the comfort of my home.......
The Buccaneers are entertaining the Saints - same time - in Tampa  :(

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »

Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner are the heart and soul of that Seattle defense. Sherman gets all the media attention because he’s a lively interview and talks a lot of trash. And of course he is a real good player.

But make no mistake, Earl Thomas is the Big Hammer that fuels that defense.

That written, even without Thomas, this is as tough a defense as the Packers will face all season. For the Packers to win this game they’re going to have dig deep and come up with something extra. It will be VERY interesting to see how they respond to the challenge...

GO PACKERS!

100%.

I live in Vancouver and (unfortunately) know a lot of Seahawks fans. They unanimously consider Thomas their defensive MVP.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
You compare the talent on that defense with the number of stars to ours and ask yourself where are we going wrong.

Earl Thomas,
Cam Chancellor
Richard Sherman
KJ Wright
Bobby Wagner
Michael Bennett
Cliff Avril

Those are six all-pro type of guys on that defense.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
You compare the talent on that defense with the number of stars to ours and ask yourself where are we going wrong.

Earl Thomas,
Cam Chancellor
Richard Sherman
KJ Wright
Bobby Wagner
Michael Bennett
Cliff Avril

For fun:

Earl Thomas  -  HaHa Clinton Dix
Cam Chancellor  -  Morgan Burnett
Richard Sherman  -  Damarious Randall
KJ Wright  -  Clay Matthews
Bobby Wagner  -  Jake Ryan?
Michael Bennett  -  Mike Daniels
Cliff Avril  -  Datone Jones

Ugh...

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »

Earl Thomas,
Cam Chancellor
Richard Sherman
KJ Wright
Bobby Wagner
Michael Bennett
Cliff Avril

No doubt, they're loaded on defense. They have holes elsewhere, though, like any NFL team.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »

Earl Thomas,
Cam Chancellor
Richard Sherman
KJ Wright
Bobby Wagner
Michael Bennett
Cliff Avril

For fun:

Earl Thomas  -  HaHa Clinton Dix
Cam Chancellor  -  Morgan Burnett
Richard Sherman  -  Damarious Randall
KJ Wright  -  Clay Matthews
Bobby Wagner  -  Jake Ryan?
Michael Bennett  -  Mike Daniels
Cliff Avril  -  Datone Jones-  Not Julius Peppers?

Ugh...