September 25, 2017, 07:22:00 PM

Author Topic: No "D"  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Pat22

• Rookie
No "D"
« on: December 18, 2016, 03:37:06 PM »
Packers win. Packers defense still needs help. Randall and Gunter have bad game. The game has passed Capers up. We really need a new defensive coordinator.......
PacFan

Online golfman

• HOF Member
Re: No "D"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »
Packers win. Packers defense still needs help. Randall and Gunter have bad game. The game has passed Capers up. We really need a new defensive coordinator.......

Gunter? Are you kidding? He didn't give up a catch to my knowledge. Rollins on the other hand was flat brutal.

This defense needs a healthy or at least close to healthy, Matthews and Perry pronto. Facrell came back today, but Elliott went out.

They need to allow Randall and Rollins to play press coverage because the way they are playing them is destroying their confidence. If they get beat, they get beat. The way they are playing them is assuring they WILL IN FACT give up play after play.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online hitnhope

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »

Rollins was worse than them.

Capers putting this team in a defense they have proven unable to play time and again is baffling.

Not sure how many seasons of Arod's career we are going to let Capers waste.  He is 5 years overdue for replacement.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
Not now folks.

Do we have to do this shit endlessly?
It's coming down to an exciting season. Can we just CHILL with the "this guy's gotta go" crap? For awhile at least?

Everybody's already on record. Points have been noted. The body's been picked clean down to the bone.
There's nothing left to dissect.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:53:57 PM by Leader »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »

Capers putting this team in a defense they have proven unable to play time and again is baffling.

Not sure how many seasons of Arod's career we are going to let Capers waste.  He is 5 years overdue for replacement.
There isn't a DC in the league that can overcome the terrible secondary the Packers have. Capers isn't the problem. It that he has nothing to work with.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:54:18 PM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline WB PackerFan

• Second String
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
Some Corners play better in Press coverage . I do believe Randall and Rollins are better in Press. Lets not forget the All Pro Year Casey Heyward is having because he is in press coverage. Play to the strengths of your players. Something I thing Capers has done a poor job as of late.

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:08:06 PM »
Not here to call for heads but it is obvious that Randall and Rollins playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage is NOT working.  Why repeat over and over what isn't working?  I coached basketball and golf for many years and I will admit that I don't know all that much about coaching schemes to an NFL defense but something else has to happen then what we seen today or Bradford and Stafford are going to light up Rollins and Randall in the last two games. 

Online hitnhope

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
Not now folks.

Do we have to do this shit endlessly?
It's coming down to an exciting season. Can we just CHILL with the "this guy's gotta go" crap? For awhile at least?

Everybody's already on record. Points have been noted. The body's been picked clean down to the bone.
There's nothing left to dissect.

What can be posted about?   This is a viable topic.  When the coaching performance was as bad as what we witnessed it cannot be discussed?

What is the purpose of the forum then?     Ignore what we just saw and pretend it was awesome?

If you aren't going to discuss this 4th quarter then there really isn't anything important that can be discussed.   This 4th qtr was some of the poorest coaching I have seen in 50 years.   But I guess that can't be talked about.  Certainly not in the main forum where it really belongs?

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
What killed us today was poor tackling but a lack of a pass rush was a bigger issue.  No Perry and Clay with only one good arm allowed Barcley to sit back and pick us apart.   :-\

Offline Scott1956

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 09:01:56 PM »
The strength of the Packer secondary  is when they play man coverage! Did you see the fourth quarter? Capers and his stupid zone! My favorite is when the Bears are on the Packer 12 yard line, and Randall played back 12 yards! And he played that the whole 4th quarter! And once again Rodgers had to perform a miracle for the Packers to win, over a 3 win team!

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
Most teams - up by 17pts in the 4th qtr will play some sort of zone D coverage. It's the bane of every fan or every team in the NFL as they watch the team thats behind suddenly / seemingly find open areas and completions increase. It's initial intent is to take time off the clock. To shorten the game. Every team in the NFL does it at some point or another. 

But that doesnt mean your players cant still make plays. Theres nothing preventing the CB or S (or whomever) playing up to the best of their abilities and still competing against passes. Playing TIGHT in their coverage. Its not a "just drop back and let them complete the pass" D.

And you have to think - for a moment at least - that the Coaches have seen enough of the players to know what / how they perform best. Coaches dont continually put their players at a disadvantage - successful coaches at least. It's in nobody's best interest to do that. If we had players that excelled in press / man coverage - I suspect the Coaches would realize / recognize that and call coverage accordingly.

I think we're lacking a true #1 CB at this juncture. I wont venture to guess what the reason is because people seem to have set ideas along those lines (and want to fire people accordingly) - but players make plays IMO - as best they can.

But - we need a pass rush of some kind. We cant be dancing with the OL - never coming close to the QB or forcing him into quick decisions and expect success on the back side.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »

There isn't a DC in the league that can overcome the terrible secondary the Packers have. Capers isn't the problem. It that he has nothing to work with.

I think the absense of a pass rush is killing us more than anything.  Last week against a poor O line we harrassed Wilson all day long.  Yesterday we couldn't lay a finger on Barcley save the one strip sack by Peppers at the start of the 3rd Q.  Clay is really limited with that shoulder and if Perry returns he'll be wearing a freaking club on his hand.   :-\

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »

I think the absense of a pass rush is killing us more than anything.  Last week against a poor O line we harrassed Wilson all day long.  Yesterday we couldn't lay a finger on Barcley save the one strip sack by Peppers at the start of the 3rd Q.  Clay is really limited with that shoulder and if Perry returns he'll be wearing a freaking club on his hand.   :-\
This is also true. COmbine a bad secondary with no pass rush and you have a bad D regardless of who the DC is.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »
The strength of the Packer secondary  is when they play man coverage! Did you see the fourth quarter? Capers and his stupid zone! My favorite is when the Bears are on the Packer 12 yard line, and Randall played back 12 yards! And he played that the whole 4th quarter! And once again Rodgers had to perform a miracle for the Packers to win, over a 3 win team!

Welcome back Scott.

Missed you last game when we beat Seattle 38-10...guess you didn't have anything to whine about or anything that was complimentary.

You aren't alone though...there are a couple others that only come around when they want to piss & moan also.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:50:41 AM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »
Most teams - up by 17pts in the 4th qtr will play some sort of zone D coverage. It's the bane of every fan or every team in the NFL as they watch the team thats behind suddenly / seemingly find open areas and completions increase. It's initial intent is to take time off the clock. To shorten the game. Every team in the NFL does it at some point or another. 

Absolutely correct. Drives the fans nuts, but usually succeeds. It certainly worked better against Seattle, though.

But that doesnt mean your players cant still make plays. Theres nothing preventing the CB or S (or whomever) playing up to the best of their abilities and still competing against passes. Playing TIGHT in their coverage. Its not a "just drop back and let them complete the pass" D.

Again, definitely true. But the Packers players seem to be giving pretty large "cushions" of several yards at the LOS. So, although they definitely COULD play tight, they're not. The question then becomes, why not?

And you have to think - for a moment at least - that the Coaches have seen enough of the players to know what / how they perform best. Coaches dont continually put their players at a disadvantage - successful coaches at least. It's in nobody's best interest to do that. If we had players that excelled in press / man coverage - I suspect the Coaches would realize / recognize that and call coverage accordingly.

And here is the answer to the question. The players on the field apparently are not capable of playing tighter coverage. How many times do we have to point out he Packers have been decimated at CB? That the loss of Shields was huge, and that Randall and Rollins are very probably playing hurt?

I think we're lacking a true #1 CB at this juncture. I wont venture to guess what the reason is because people seem to have set ideas along those lines (and want to fire people accordingly) - but players make plays IMO - as best they can.

But - we need a pass rush of some kind. We cant be dancing with the OL - never coming close to the QB or forcing him into quick decisions and expect success on the back side.

And here, in a nutshell, is the answer. But with both CMIII and Perry injured, the other players have not picked up the slack. Make the QB nervous; make the QB have "happy feet", make the QB make bad decisions. That will suddenly make the defensive backs look much more competent.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid