September 24, 2017, 07:08:33 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Lions Game Day Thread  (Read 10528 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Lions Game Day Thread
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
This is the way it was meant to be. This is what the season, and life itself, is all about. That moment where you either achieve or fail. Where your fate is in your hands. No excuses. No second chances. Win and you're in. Lose and go home. The Packers and Lions are ending the season headed in different directions. But divisional games are always going to be tough. Get ready for a gut wrencher. Especially if the Packers and Lions are both in the playoffs at kickoff. Don't let up. Don't give an inch. Win the division, and keep the ball rolling.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Lions Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
Thanks Ricky and hopefully this won't be the last time you star the Game Day thread this season.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »
Opening up a little early but going to busy in the morning.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 01:54:01 AM »
Almost everyone has the Packers to win this one, but on thing I cannot get out of my mind is that the Lions haven't won the division since 1993.

Why is that a bad thing ? Well, the longer a franchise goes without a significant season, the more they are likely to give it everything when they do get their chance. I expect the Lions to be hyped into maximum overdrive to progress to the playoffs, and all too often that can be enough to overturn a better team. Will it give them enough impetus to overturn the Packers......I hope not.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Detoit's one of the NFL's oldest teams, they've never won a Super Bowl either.

Both teams will be very hungry coming into this game. The Packers Advantage should come from having Superior talent, and more experience with handling big games like this.

Butt as they say there's a reason they play the games on the football field and not on paper or in football for hummus.

I'm looking forward to a great game with everything on the line, and hopefully a Packer victory.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »

It appears Cobb may not play tonite, per social media.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet  33 minutes ago
Randall Cobb may dress tonight, but the #Packers aren't counting on their versatile WR for much. Needs another week with his gimpy ankle.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
This game makes me more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. On the one hand, the Lions are faltering. They are coming off a bad loss to the Cowboys, where their usual habit of coming back from a deficit turned into a rout. Stafford has been much less effective since his injury. The Lions are an injured team, who constantly play on the brink. And that high wire act seems to be catching up with them.

On the other hand, the Packers are on a roll. Rodgers is playing at an inhuman level (again). The offense is hitting it's stride, including a resurgence of the running game. The defense is suspect, but are getting turnovers on a regular basis. However, the Packers have been on high alert for over a month. This has to take a toll on them as human beings. And at this point, they can see their goal in front of them, within their grasp. The playoffs. They've almost literally come back from the dead. And it would only be human to feel a letdown, a relaxation, a sigh of relief if Washington loses and both teams are in the playoffs.

Yes, there is the matter of pride. The matter of winning the division, getting a home game, and getting a more appropriate opponent. And that is there. But the release of tension is a powerful feeling. So, this could be a letdown game for the team. But better now, and have the team regroup for a playoff push than have a letdown in the first round of the playoffs. Anyway, JMO.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »

Randall Cobb may dress tonight, but the #Packers aren't counting on their versatile WR for much. Needs another week with his gimpy ankle.

I like the way Geronimo has been playing as of late.
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Chris Berman's late for retirement.....

Green Bay Packers at Detroit Lions

I understand I'm going against the grain here, and not having Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs would be awful for football fans given how well they've played recently. But if you're going to give me a field goal head start at home for a team that's used to playing close games all season, I'm going to take it. Having Darius Slay back for Detroit should help against Green Bay's receivers. The Lions pull another close one out late.

Score: Detroit 24, Green Bay 23
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:38:11 AM by LMG »

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »

I understand I'm going against the grain here, and not having Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs would be awful for football fans given how well they've played recently. But if you're going to give me a field goal head start at home for a team that's used to playing close games all season, I'm going to take it. Having Darius Slay back for Detroit should help against Green Bay's receivers. The Lions pull another close one out late.

How effective will Slay be? That's my question

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »

I'm OK with this because if Cobb can't move in and out of breaks quickly he's useless to us anyway. Rather have him near healthy for hopeful playoff run.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »

I'm OK with this because if Cobb can't move in and out of breaks quickly he's useless to us anyway. Rather have him near healthy for hopeful playoff run.

Totally agree. And Geronimo has been playing good.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »

Detroit fans are really positive about the outcome. I think we have to withstand the first quarter as much or more than the 4th quarter of this game. They are going to be extremely fired up coming out of the gate at home. However, on short week for them if we keep with them in the first quarter they may use too much of their energy which won't be as much given the short week.

We hold serve in quarter one or even get up a score we could ruin their night early. We don't it could steamroll on us.

I have no thoughts on this game one way or the other. I do believe we're the better team and should win.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »

[/quote]

Totally agree. And Geronimo has been playing good.
[/quote]

Indeed he has. I see a play to Janis, the home state boy, deep. Possibly fake the end around to him and he continues deep and Rodgers throws it to him deep.