September 21, 2017, 04:19:52 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Giants v Packers Playoff Thread  (Read 11020 times)

Online Twain

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Giants v Packers Playoff Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Winner goes to play the Cowboys in Dallas.

This is locked in right? Seattle goes to Atlanta?

Yes.  Already listed on NFL.com
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:17:42 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »
Temp is 2 right now (feels like -12) with a high of 15 forcasted w/mostly sunny skies.

Any word on how windy?
Currently 9 mph.

Those of you looking for parking around Lambeau, at least one house has added value to it's parking fee:

"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
Wonder if there's a separate Porta-Potty fee :)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 11:03:08 AM »
Tough Game today, but in the playoffs they’re all tough! The Giants just match up with the Packers really well.

AND another key player added to the long injury report on Saturday. I pulled this off GiantsWire/USA Today:

”The Green Bay Packers already had an extensive injury report heading into Sunday’s wild-card game against the New York Giants at Lambeau Field. They added a significant offensive player to the report on Saturday.

The Packers added fullback Aaron Ripkowski to the injury report due to a shoulder issue, per Rob Demovski of ESPN. Ripkowski is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game.”

The Giants Love to blitz those DBs, so if RIP can’t go the Packers need to find a way to try and neutralize the blitz and keep Rodgers from getting hammered and possibly coughing up the ball. 

I sure hope McCarthy is ready to conjure some play-calling magic. I was ready to predict a 23-20 Packer win, but RIP has played SO well down the stretch I am not so sure now. Seemed like Montgomery hurt his ankle last week as well, so I wonder how the Packers will find ways to run the ball a little bit and keep that quality Giant defense off-balance. The middle of that new york D-Line packs almost 700 pounds of mass! (670 according to stats, but who’s counting!)

Two key words the Packers have going for them though...”Aaron” and “Rodgers!” And as is the case in these evenly matched games, big plays by special teams or a defensive score, or a turnover that sets up a score, will make the difference today.

It should be a FUN GAME!

GO PACKERS!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:07:38 AM by JQ »

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »
I think it was stated in another thread I am just not 100% sure, do we get Mike Pennel back today from suspension? 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
I think it was stated in another thread I am just not 100% sure, do we get Mike Pennel back today from suspension? 

He was available as far as the league was concerned. Whether the team activated him I've not heard - which would lead me to think he's not.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »

Pennel is eligible to play, but I haven’t seen that he’s been activated. The Packers may be using that roster spot for somebody like Herb Waters, since the Packers have one (Gunter) healthy CB at present.

The rookie safeties will have an opportunity to earn some play-off wings today! And thank goodness for Swiss-Army-Hyde, Burnett, and 2nd Team All-Pro HHCD, who will be trying to hold together that defensive backfield.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:34:50 AM by JQ »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
Good points JQ. I suspect the Gints will be coming on D. LB's up the middle / DB's from the outside - they want to speed up AR's decision making or getting rid of the ball.

So yeah - having RIP back there to stuff somebody from advancing is important - and Monty's recent bout of "gimpy-ness" is - well, I dont know what it is. I was surprised he stayed in last weeks game - and more surprised how effective he was in the 2nd half - and he's gotten scant "how is he now" coverage - so I've no clue.

It's a big unknown for me at this point - but my #1 concern - across all boards - is the secondary. They need to get it done today. They need to stay healthy today.

The Gint's have receiving weapons. Eli doesnt have to be "2011 Eli" (everybody keeps worrying about the rear view mirror Eli). That guys gone but if our secondary under performs - or cant perform - the 2016 version will be trouble enough. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »
Here's a long article from McGinn about playoff defenses versus regular season defenses. Discouraging or encouraging? You decide.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/01/07/mcginn-packers-defense-can-step-up-class/96247622/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
Annoying statistic:

Playoff wins at Lambeau: Rodgers: 2; Manning: 2
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
Annoying statistic:

Playoff wins at Lambeau: Rodgers: 2; Manning: 2

So Far, the home teams have been holding serve...for what that’s worth.   \ - : #

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
So Far, the home teams have been holding serve...for what that’s worth.   \ - : #
So far, every game has been a mismatch.  They saved the best for last.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »

If we activated him. He is eligible but that does not mean he's going to be activated.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »

Pennel is eligible to play, but I haven’t seen that he’s been activated. The Packers may be using that roster spot for somebody like Herb Waters, since the Packers have one (Gunter) healthy CB at present.

The rookie safeties will have an opportunity to earn some play-off wings today! And thank goodness for Swiss-Army-Hyde, Burnett, and 2nd Team All-Pro HHCD, who will be trying to hold together that defensive backfield.

Dorleant was IR's to make room for Waters.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »
Regarding Mike Pennel’s four-game suspension:

...The suspension began immediately and expired Monday, at which point the Packers were given a roster exemption that lasts a week. They are not obligated to make a decision about Pennel until after Sunday’s game against the Giants.

-From USA Today/Packer News, Michael Cohen and Ryan Wood-

So although he doesn’t seem to be active for today’s game, should they beat the Giants the Packers could choose to activate him via this roster exemption.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:31:18 PM by JQ »