September 24, 2017, 07:06:29 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Cowboys Divisional Round Game Day Thread  (Read 10314 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Cowboys Divisional Round Game Day Thread
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
It once again all comes down to one game. Maybe even one play. Once again, it'll be nail biting time. The Cowboys are no slouches, but this is not the same team they faced in Week Six. Yes, the personnel are pretty much the same, but this is a group that is doing the small things right. A team that feels they are destined to win. A team brimming with confidence. A team, as Rodgers put it, that respects their opponents, but doesn't fear them. As game time gets closer, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. There is just a feeling of "rightness", of destiny. But that is a bubble that could burst in a hurry on Sunday.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Cowboys Divisional Round Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
Thank Ricky and will re-open the thread this week on Saturday 1 day before the Sunday game.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
The cowboys are the number one team in the NFC. They are a more complete team than the packers. Jerry has been drafting high for twenty years. They're favored by Las Vegas and Nate silver.

While I expect the packers to win, it would be stunning if we led the whole way. The cowboys aren't our homecoming bitch. I'm expecting a very competitive game, with the lead going back and forth. Hopefully they don't ever get more than ten points ahead of us. It would be sweet, but unexpected for us to get more than ten points ahead of them.

I have no problem with people expressing disappointment, but if you express anger at our players or coaches and call players names or for people to get fired, expect to be encouraged to continue expressing those opinions in the privacy of your own home.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:37:35 PM by marklawrence »
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
Curious what people think-

Rather than focusing on shutting down Elliot, if we accept that he will get his 150-175 yds, can we win if we shut down the passing game instead, thus making them one dimensional?
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »

Rather than focusing on shutting down Elliot, if we accept that he will get his 150-175 yds, can we win if we shut down the passing game instead, thus making them one dimensional?

I'll vote yes but unlikely.
Unless Elliot gets those yards on a few long gainers (that dont lead to scores somehow.....) they'll have won the time of possession game - and - his racking up the yards doesnt preclude DAL TD's thru the air.

Makes our offense need to maintain high efficiency and score alot.

I dont expect a 10-6 defensive battle - but we need to do better on D than that IMO. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »

If Elliott gets 150-175 yards, I don't see us being able to win without our offense plays unstoppable football on every single drive.  If they are that successful at running the ball they will be successful at keeping AR12 off the field.  We've got to stop Elliott making the rookie QB beat us.  If we don't its going to end like the first meeting and we didn't' look like we belonged on the same field in that game much less capable of completing or winning. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

If Elliott gets 150-175 yards, I don't see us being able to win without our offense plays unstoppable football on every single drive.  If they are that successful at running the ball they will be successful at keeping AR12 off the field.  We've got to stop Elliott making the rookie QB beat us.  If we don't its going to end like the first meeting and we didn't' look like we belonged on the same field in that game much less capable of completing or winning.

Totally agree.  Can't let the Cowboys control the clock. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
The Cowboys will run right at Clay Matthews. Hope his shoulder is ready.  On defense, they will rush 3 and drop 8.   Works well against Rodgers.  Look for the dink and dunk with Montgomery to happen a lot.  Montgomery's role will be huge in determining the outcome in this game.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »
Cornerback Damarious Randall had been added to the injury report with a foot injury, and will be listed as questionable.

Packers Injury Report

OUT
WR Jordy Nelson (ribs)
RB James Starks (concussion)
C/G JC Tretter (knee)

QUESTIONABLE
OLB Jayrone Elliott (hand)
WR Jeff Janis (quad)
CB Quinten Rollins (neck/concussion)
CB Damarius Randall (foot)

Cowboys Injury Report

QUESTIONABLE
CB Morris Claiborne (groin)
DE Tyrone Crawford (shoulder)
LB Justin Durant (elbow)
DE DeMarcus Lawrence (back)
DT Terrell McClain (ankle)
OT Tyron Smith (knee)
DT Cedric Thornton (ankle)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:48:52 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz DR. Whats with you this year?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »
Randall's injury is his foot, but he is expected to play.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
The Cowboys will run right at Clay Matthews. Hope his shoulder is ready.  On defense, they will rush 3 and drop 8.   Works well against Rodgers.  Look for the dink and dunk with Montgomery to happen a lot.  Montgomery's role will be huge in determining the outcome in this game.

Or, Michael could find some holes to move the chains. And the game plan offensively should be more than "look for Cook" in the passing game, which seemed to be the idea in the first half of the Giants game. And if there are only three rushers and eight in coverage, couldn't Ripkowski also get some yards? Basically, adjust the offensive playcalling to what the defense is offering. They'll allow the run? Great! Move the chains, eat up the clock, keep the suspect defense off the field. But whatever happens, we should not lose heart. After all, the Packers came back from a huge deficit a few years ago in Dallas. With Matt Flynn at QB. Where there's life, there is hope:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000299010/GameDay-Packers-vs-Cowboys-highlights

However,  I suspect they'll want to contain the run, and make Rodgers a "pocket passer", where he is significantly less effective than when he moves around. Oh, and stop the last second "Hail Mary"- which got it's name from a throw by Roger Staubach, I believe in a playoff game against the Vikings on a throw to Drew Pearson. Yup, found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7uS0ezb2o4

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz DR. Whats with you this year?

What about Tretter? He's become a real "when healthy" type of player. Definitely very good "when healthy". But his injury history has to give the Packers some doubts about his availability.

EDIT: Deleted part that has nothing to do with subject. Please feel free to start a new topic with that...maybe in On the Streets?

Lets stay on Topic...thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:49:14 PM by LMG »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
Not dissing DR....but groin, shoulder, knee and now foot? He's too critical/essential to us to be banged up. Not his fault - my exasperation.

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »
Not dissing DR....but groin, shoulder, knee and now foot? He's too critical/essential to us to be banged up. Not his fault - my exasperation.

Didn't he have some issues last year too?  Seems the Packers end up with a lot of practice injuries.