November 22, 2017, 10:24:17 AM

Author Topic: NFC Championship Game vs. Atlanta Falcons.  (Read 9857 times)

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
Re: NFC Championship Game vs. Atlanta Falcons.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
The regular season matchup between these teams was the week that the injury report was just filled with key skill positions.

Guys who did not play against Atlanta:

Sam Shields
Quinten Rollins
Damarious Randall
Jared Cook
Clay Matthews

Eddie Lacy
Ty Montgomery
James Starks
Randall Cobb

Having the majority of these guys back will make a huge difference. But remember Atlanta was without Coleman...

Both teams are better than our previous matchup...

Last time we went into this game with no running game, now we have Montgomery, Michael, and even Rip has pounded the ball well. Cook has made one hell of a difference, and if Nelson plays we are at full strength for the first time all season at wideout since the beginning of the season.

Without Coleman we did a solid job vs. their run game but Ryan torched us, and expect him to be, we should be able to get to him and rattle him. Jones is a little banged up but he is still better than many players even when he isn't 100%. I know people mentioned no Trufant, but Atlanta's oppositions QBR has actually gotten better without him, so keep that in mind. Beasley is the guy to watch in this game, he can really get after the QB, and don't forget about old man Freeney.

Matt Ryan is not the type to scramble like Prescott and leave the pocket, time for Peppers, Matthews and our line to make some plays, because again I don't know that our coverage will.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
I've never broken a rib and I certainly dont know the specifics of Nelson's situation - but I find it hard to see how he could be 100% by next Sunday. Not at his postion IMO. Not with the "torque" he has to put on his frame. Not with the direct hits he'd take.

So question becomes for me - is 50-75% of Nelson better than 100% of Allison (or whomever) ?

And - if we sit Nelson - can we get the 100% version for the Super Bowl?

Thats what I'd be asking the doctors and if the answer to #2 is "yes" - thats how I'd roll the dice.

Without Nelson we've put 30+ points on the NYG's and DAL in successive weeks. Can we get by doing that one more week?

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
I've never broken a rib and I certainly dont know the specifics of Nelson's situation - but I find it hard to see how he could be 100% by next Sunday. Not at his postion IMO. Not with the "torque" he has to put on his frame. Not with the direct hits he'd take.

So question becomes for me - is 50-75% of Nelson better than 100% of Allison (or whomever) ?

And - if we sit Nelson - can we get the 100% version for the Super Bowl?

Thats what I'd be asking the doctors and if the answer to #2 is "yes" - thats how I'd roll the dice.

Without Nelson we've put 30+ points on the NYG's and DAL in successive weeks. Can we get by doing that one more week?

Merril Hoge was talking about it last night, said he has fractured 3 ribs in his days and that recovery is about 10 days. He said the problem isn't necessarily the ribs, it is the surrounding cartilage, getting used to breathing and so forth. Said after a good week and a half he feel much better and could play on it.

I'm totally with you, I might roll the dice and sit him with our offenses success, but I think you also can activate him and use him in certain situations if he feels he can go.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »

Merril Hoge was talking about it last night, said he has fractured 3 ribs in his days and that recovery is about 10 days. He said the problem isn't necessarily the ribs, it is the surrounding cartilage, getting used to breathing and so forth. Said after a good week and a half he feel much better and could play on it.

I'm totally with you, I might roll the dice and sit him with our offenses success, but I think you also can activate him and use him in certain situations if he feels he can go.

I saw the tail end of Hoge's comments. Total judgement call.

Another consideration - who do we have left on our PS that we might want to activate to fill in (if necessary) where we're thin and with a game injury or two could be at critical stage? (I'm looking at you secondary......)

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
I believe Jordy won't be 100% if he plays, and they would most likely need to find some way to protect the ribs.

I am not optimistic about his status, despite Hoge's comments.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
First team to punt loses

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Similar to yesterday, the winner could be the one that gets touchdowns rather than field goals.

Holding Dallas to field goals on two drives in the first half was huge.  Our first three scoring drives were TD's, they had one TD and 2 FG's.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 10:01:40 AM »
Similar to yesterday, the winner could be the one that gets touchdowns rather than field goals.

Holding Dallas to field goals on two drives in the first half was huge.  Our first three scoring drives were TD's, they had one TD and 2 FG's.

Hoping we can defer the kick as well, try to double up before half and out of the gate for the 3rd quarter.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Unlike we did with Bryant, you definitely double up Jones in this one if he looks healthy.

Sanu and Gabriel have had quietly good seasons, but I'd gamble and trust we can cover them as Atlanta doesn't have that playmaking tight end like a Witten. I'm most worried about stopping those screens/flat passes to their RBs, they get a lot of yards in the passing game.

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »
Obviously we're on in agreement that our corners are our weak link. And Rodgers living up to his hype is our strong point.  Here is an excerpt from something I read regarding our coverage ability:

"The Falcons' entire pass offense will be a matchup nightmare for the Packers, whose mediocre defensive secondary has been perpetually limited by injury. The Packers don't have a lead cornerback to match up on receiver Julio Jones, let alone the other 12 players that caught touchdown passes from Ryan this season (an NFL single-season record)."

I think Atlanta is a tougher matchup for our defense than the Cowboys. We have a tough time stopping the pass.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
As Mike McCarthy said the last time the Packers around such an amazing run,

"We're nobody's Underdog!"

Or Rodgers, "We respect every team, but fear no one." The table is set again, and I still believe it will be Steelers/Packers in the SB. Though to accomplish that, Atlanta and New England will have to be beaten at their respective homes. But on the other hand, the two hottest teams in the NFL are the Steelers and Packers.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
Call me crazy, but I feel pretty good about Gunter on Jones, especially if Jones's toe injury slows him down. We're not winning that matchup (look at what he did to Shields) but having a big, physical corner on him is a good start.

Offline Ellis269

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
Secondary is such a mash unit, I almost wish they'd call Charles Woodson to see what he's up to for the next month. Even at his age, I bet he could still go out there and make plays. Plus, it could only add to his Hall of Fame legacy.

I'm joking. But at some point, that secondary becomes a huge liability. Better, more experience QB than Dak and theees a good chance that Dez Bryant has a career day against the Packers yesterday.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
Secondary is such a mash unit, I almost wish they'd call Charles Woodson to see what he's up to for the next month. Even at his age, I bet he could still go out there and make plays. Plus, it could only add to his Hall of Fame legacy.

I'm joking. But at some point, that secondary becomes a huge liability. Better, more experience QB than Dak and theees a good chance that Dez Bryant has a career day against the Packers yesterday.

Honestly, this isnt a criticism but the secondary already is a liability - and - if the NYG's hadnt dropped a bunch of passes last week - and - we didnt have AR taking our snaps - well, I'm not all too sure exactly where we'd be right now.

It is what it is at this juncture. We've got to get as many players as healthy as possible for each of our upcoming games - they've got to give it the best they've got - and hope AR keep's being AR.

That happens - we can beat anybody - might not be pretty - might not be easy - but it can be done IMO.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:38:27 PM by Leader »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 01:27:54 PM »
If they are missing Trufant and Clayborn, that really hurts them.

Especially since they are both on defense.