November 19, 2017, 08:19:46 AM

Author Topic: struggle to make the playoffs.  (Read 986 times)

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
struggle to make the playoffs.
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:03:23 AM »
In my opinion short of the first two things turning around in a hurry we're going to struggle to make the playoffs. We are probably going to be underdogs in the following games: @ Atlanta, @ Washington, @ Philadelphia, Seattle and Minnesota. Possibly be dogs @ Detroit in the final game of the season.

Dude, are you ever right?

hysterical

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
Re: struggle to make the playoffs.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
I think the take home message here is that some fans want to discuss the disappointing aspects of where a team is in the moment, and that is OK.  That being said, just because others take a more positive view, they aren't necessarily blinded by "green and gold goggles", and shouldn't be labelled as such.  It is ok to be frustrated in the moment, and it is also OK to be optimistic or more open to the possibilities that things will get better.

Hey, as perfect as we are, even the members of Packerchatters get it wrong once in a while. ;)
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
I think the take home message here is that some fans want to discuss the disappointing aspects of where a team is in the moment, and that is OK.  That being said, just because others take a more positive view, they aren't necessarily blinded by "green and gold goggles", and shouldn't be labelled as such.  It is ok to be frustrated in the moment, and it is also OK to be optimistic or more open to the possibilities that things will get better.

Hey, as perfect as we are, even the members of Packerchatters get it wrong once in a while. ;)

I think this is right. No need to skewer anyone after the fact, which is what I believe you're saying. I'll add there's really no need to skewer anyone, not only after the fact but during as well.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
To answer the thread's question: Yes, we're a playoff team. Done. Back when the question was initially posed - things didnt look so good - so opinions reflecting that reality were expressed. Is there a problem with that? Aren't realistic assessments and opinions what we want to read?  I do at least. We're in and have a another game in a few days. Thats a good thing IMO

Agreed. Why are we revisiting these earlier threads? Recall, at one point the team was 4-6, and had lost four in a row, three of them in blowout fashion. So, some people, including me, overreacted? Well, we're human. We make mistakes. Want a mea culpa? There. You've got it. It seems though that golfman is being unfairly pilloried for his earlier comments. Was he wrong? Sure- in hindsight. But then again, that's always 20/20. And for one poster in particular to take particular glee in chastising golfman is in poor taste. 

And for what it's worth, my wife does a killer imitation of Mora's "Playoffs?!?" rant that always cracks me up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:59:30 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
Why revisit earlier threads? Because they often contain interesting information.

Golf posed a question and started an interesting thread. At the time, I thought Hell yes we are a playoff team, but we sure aren't consistently playing like one.

Football games and seasons are intensely competitive. Playoff teams keep the faith and keep fighting. Pretenders like the Vikings (and many others) start whining and panicking.

Fans can question and throw in the towel all they want - they have little to no impact on team performance. I am not disrespecting anyone by bringing up this or any other thread that is football discussion worthy. I own my opinions - sometimes they are correct, sometimes they are wrong - but I am always willing to own them. How is it a problem for some to have to do the same?
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:23:19 AM »
Aren't realistic assessments and opinions what we want to read?  I do at least. We're in and have a another game in a few days. Thats a good thing IMO

Yes, realistic assessments are great… The agenda driven carping, void of analysis and assessments, isn't so great.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
The fact that we have one of the leagues worst offenses, I'm not sure we're a playoff team.

Best post ever!

hysterical

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 08:30:44 PM »
The fact that we have one of the leagues worst offenses, I'm not sure we're a playoff team.

Best post ever!

hysterical

Well, trolling after the fact is cheap and easy. I went through the entire thread, and your first post on this subject was on January 10. If you were so confident that the team might turn it around, why didn't you post that earlier? Of course, that might have opened you up to criticism, or being laughed at, or told you were delusional. Some of us never gave up, and wrote about hope during the darkest times.

Did some people get it wrong? Sure. But at least they had the guts to put their opinions on the line, at the time, knowing they might well look foolish later on. Coming on after the fact and laughing at how others were wrong is unbecoming.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:41:26 PM »
ricky, how is it trolling???

If people's egos are so fragile that they can't take facing their own pessimism when things are down that's too bad for them...

For Christ's sake is it that hard to stand behind ones own words???

-Vince Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »

Best post ever!

hysterical

For reference, at the time of SSG's post, this is what was being said by other major sites:

http://powerrankingsguru.com/NFL/Teams/Green-Bay-Packers/week-7.html

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »

Best post ever!

hysterical

For reference, at the time of SSG's post, this is what was being said by other major sites:

And your point is? At that point the Packers average power rating was 9.3 out of 32 teams. Yes they're improved, and they're now in the final four

Competing to bring the Lombardi back home where it belongs.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »

Best post ever!

hysterical

And your point is? At that point the Packers average power rating was 9.3 out of 32 teams. Yes they're improved, and they're now in the final four

Competing to bring the Lombardi back home where it belongs.

I'm saying that bringing up a quote about the offense struggling from 3 months ago, while the media seemed to agree (thus posting the link), and then calling it the 'best quote' now that the offense is rolling, is a bit mis-guided.  That's all

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »
I'm saying that bringing up a quote about the offense struggling from 3 months ago, while the media seemed to agree (thus posting the link), and then calling it the 'best quote' now that the offense is rolling, is a bit mis-guided.  That's all

You're on a slippery slope here. You take posters to task for what they say all the time. Yet, when certain other posters do the same thing, you have issues with it- there's a word for that and it's not a good word.

You can piss and moan about this all you like, but playing the victim card is ridiculous. Like you, the poster I quoted loves to bellyache and power whine about players and coaches. So, when you're reminded of your bellyaching and power whining, just own it... Certainly don't play the victim card.

You changed the context of my quote. My quote didn't reference the Packers struggling offence, the offense was struggling... I quoted a statement about the Packers having one of the leagues worst offenses (  hysterical ), which was and is preposterous.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 08:49:35 AM »
ricky, how is it trolling???

If people's egos are so fragile that they can't take facing their own pessimism when things are down that's too bad for them...

For Christ's sake is it that hard to stand behind ones own words???

Waiting until the Packers have made the playoffs, then mocking those who doubted is trolling. It's an easy, cheap way to make yourself feel good at the expense of others. The problem being that Donzo offered NO opinion until January 10. Where was this poster earlier? What were this poster's thoughts? In effect, Donzo is going "Told you so!" when there is no evidence of Donzo's beliefs before making the playoffs and beating the Giants. That, to me is trolling.

Being held accountable, and being laughed at for being incorrect by someone who refused to post an opinion prior to a playoff win are very, very different things.

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
If you are a glass-half-full fan then you point out the contradictions to the empty-glassers, when it happens. If for instance, you believed the Packers shouldn't panic and should allow Mason Crosby to work his way out of his slump (years back) ... or if you believe in a general principle that players can get better with experience, or that hurt players can get better (current cornerbacks) -- or that because a player has a couple injuries, doesn't mean that their careers are over (about 15 recent Packers) -- then pointing out the contradicting evidence is part of making a larger point. 

One argument that I will always "troll" as you call it -- is the argument to: lose and fire the coach/GM and get a high draft pick. Losing is no path to winning but many fans are seduced by the thought of burning down the house and starting over. This year is another reminder of how wrong that is.