November 19, 2017, 04:09:23 AM

Author Topic: 2017 FA list  (Read 6159 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: 2017 FA list
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 03:36:15 AM »
A lot of question marks entering the offseason.

- I tend to agree about Hyde but I can't imagine trying to replace both Shields AND Hyde in that secondary this offseason.  Outside of Gunter, Hyde was the only other CB we had on the field this year that looked like a consistent starting caliber NFL CB.  I know we can't give up on the sophomores but its hard to go into next year hoping they turn into #1 and #2 CBs. 

- Given our inconsistencies at rushing the passer, I think it would be tough to let Perry walk.  My issue could be cost.  He's not a dominate pass rusher and he's very likely going to cost like he's a dominate pass rusher.  I'm not sure we can afford to lose him but I think it would be franchise suicide to give him a Vernon caliber contract given his career and his inconsistencies.  He is not a #1 edge rusher IMO.

- Cook is a must sign and I don't care if its a blank check.  Our offense can not afford to lose him.  I thought he started slow once his return (after the big game against Washington) but he was the single biggest reason for our offense turning it around.

- I think Lang is all but gone.  IMO Thompson is going to let him leave like he let Sitton walk.

- I'd love to have Lacy return, but I think he's going to be too expensive.  IMO a serious (Lacy-esk) type of investment needs to be made in this year's draft at the position.  Its pretty clear what we've currently got at the position isn't going to cut it.

Geez, I hope Ted can get something for Lang.  It isn't fun to just let a decent player like him and Sitton just walk away.    :-\
He released Sitton. He didn't let him just walk away. He got rid of him for reasons for which he probably doesn't care about getting something in return.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 04:23:08 AM »
Well it's tie to let the wounds heal a bit then look ahead to next year.   Determining which free agents to bring back is an important part of the process.
Let me offer some i nitial thoughts.

Hyde- gotta love his versatility and smarts- he is slow on a team that lacks speed overall.  I'd bring him back but hopefully some of the younger players can step up.

Perry is a must sign even though he gets hurt every year

Cook- a priority and he really wants to come back

Lacy- yes - he sign for some reasonable deal

Lang- You gotta love his heart and toughness- he is 30 - I think he was going to have hip surgery- don't know how serious his latest injury is-
Really don't have any choice but to bring him back as they don't have anyone else

I'd like to see Cook back, don't need to have anoher position to fill this off season.

Would like Perry and Lacy back if the deals are reasonable.

would let Hyde go, just not good enough to really help us win.   Rather save the roster spot for more speed.

I think Lange is gone.   Hip and knee problems and the wrong side of 30.   My guess is Bulaga becomes a guard and Spriggs takes over at tackle.

Lang is 29.

Would not let Hyde go. He's proven to be valuable as a versatile piece on defense.

I think Perry is gone. He will get more money in FA.

Pretty sure Cook stays.

I think Lacy stays as well.

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 04:50:21 AM »
Depends on. If you don't pay, say, Perry, can you find someone in FA for less money but better? Same with anyone else, but I would like to keep players that generally stay healthy or who seem to recover fairly quickly.

Just not sold on Rollins or Randall. We can get a FA corner and another good one(not an experiment but a corner) in R1. This def. needs some play-makers who can make a stop at crucial times.

Will just have to see who's available and at what cost.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
I merged the two Free Agent threads we had going for easier "one stop shopping"  :)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
You're right claymaker - TJ Lang wont be 30 until September of next year. Hardly over the hill for an offensive lineman. His twice broken foot's gonna bear some consideration.

#70 G6' 4", 318 lbsGreen Bay Packers
BornSep 20, 1987 in Royal Oak, MI (Age: 29)
Drafted 2009: 4th Rnd, 109th by GB
Experience8th season
CollegeEastern Michigan

"I think everybody in this locker room knows that this is where I want to play," Lang told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "I've been saying that since the beginning. I love this team, I love Green Bay, I love everything about being a Packer. I love representing the city and the team. I want to be back. It's not up to me. This is where I want to be."

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/23/14361510/t-j-lang-wants-to-re-sign-with-packers-free-agency-nfl-2017

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
If you had to pick between Lang and Tretter, why would you pick Tretter? He's been injured every year he's been in the league. He's a good player, but has to be available. He's much more versatile than Lang, but not as good as a guard.  I also don't think Tretter will get that many high offers. GMs will look at that injury list and offer appropriately. I hope TT can keep both, but if only one...I keep Lang.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline mancl

• HOF Member

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/27/14420310/packers-free-agency-cornerbacks-ted-thompson-sign-secondary-aj-bouye-logan-ryan-impact

Informative and instructive:

"Last year’s top three free agent cornerbacks received a combined $98.8 million in guaranteed money. If the Packers try to compete in that kind of bidding war, they’re going to have a difficult time retaining any of their own free agents, leaving much of the defense to be populated by (wait for it) draft picks and undrafted free agents.

The next tier of free agents, likewise, presents similar issues. Four of the nine players rated between 70 and 79 by PFF are just 26 years old, which means that any potential bidders should be getting the heart of their prime.

However, this price range also gets tricky. Since most of the top end of the market probably will return to their team of origin, you’ll be in a bidding war even for a second tier player. And secondly, even someone in this range isn’t guaranteed to be any good. For sake of comparison, Ladarius Gunter’s grade for last season was 71.2 before a major regression this year.

Beyond the second tier range, there’s very little reason to consider signing anybody. This is the part of the list that will get you only “young” or “cheap,” leaving you to just cross your fingers and hope for “talented.” The Packers can do better than signing this kind of free agent."

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/27/14420310/packers-free-agency-cornerbacks-ted-thompson-sign-secondary-aj-bouye-logan-ryan-impact

Not sure why Green Bay wouldn't be able to afford a FA CB?  8 CBs in the NFL made more than Sam Shields was scheduled to make next year.  There is a 99.9999% chance that Sam Shields time as a Packer is all but done.  Why is not affordable to use that money to replace him?  If Sam Shields was healthy and a UFA, he wouldn't be affordable because of our other UFAs? 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 01:01:49 PM »
Trumaine Johnson it sounds like getting tagged, remove one CB option from the list.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788031/article/2017-nfl-free-agency-top-101-available-players

Most observers don't think the Packers will get in on the bidding for the top corners.  There is some speculation TT will go for 2nd tier corners but what does that mean.

If the above report is accurate the mid range corners at Amarkama ( 45) Kirkpatrick 46 and Clairborne 59- But they are all ranked lower than Hyde (32)

Why bother bringing these guys in other than the fact that they are veterans?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788031/article/2017-nfl-free-agency-top-101-available-players

Most observers don't think the Packers will get in on the bidding for the top corners.  There is some speculation TT will go for 2nd tier corners but what does that mean.

If the above report is accurate the mid range corners at Amarkama ( 45) Kirkpatrick 46 and Clairborne 59- But they are all ranked lower than Hyde (32)

Maybe better backups??  confused(
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »

Hyde isn't a true CB, but those other are.

Hyde's versatility may be the reason he is ranked higher.

If the price was right, I wouldn't mind seeing Kirkpatrick in G&G.