September 23, 2017, 07:40:50 AM

Author Topic: 2017 FA list  (Read 5233 times)

Offline favre_4_ever

• Starter
Re: 2017 FA list
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
I would love claiborne-- when healthy- he was really good last year.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:01 AM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788031/article/2017-nfl-free-agency-top-101-available-players

Most observers don't think the Packers will get in on the bidding for the top corners.  There is some speculation TT will go for 2nd tier corners but what does that mean.

If the above report is accurate the mid range corners at Amarkama ( 45) Kirkpatrick 46 and Clairborne 59- But they are all ranked lower than Hyde (32)

Why bother bringing these guys in other than the fact that they are veterans?

Hyde may have an artificially high ranking.  Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player, but I see him as limited athletically, and if forced to play outside for a season you would see him exposed and abused on a regular basis.  He is versatile from the slot, and makes a lot of a high football intelligence, but his ceiling is limited.

The weakness in our secondary is on the perimeter.  Randall has potential to be successful there, and Gunter can do well against some types of receivers.  Losing Shields has left us without the combination of speed and physical ability to be successful against all types of receivers.  Even if Randall develops into that kind of guy, we still need a second one, and I don't see Gunter as having the speed he needs to cover all the snaps so to speak.

So the short way to say it is they need to look at another perimeter corner.  Hyde isn't in that category.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
Hyde may have an artificially high ranking.  Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player, but I see him as limited athletically, and if forced to play outside for a season you would see him exposed and abused on a regular basis.  He is versatile from the slot, and makes a lot of a high football intelligence, but his ceiling is limited.

So you dont think the folks @ NFL.com took his versatility into account when making the rankings? Otherwise, why do you feel his ranking artificially high?

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788031/article/2017-nfl-free-agency-top-101-available-players

Most observers don't think the Packers will get in on the bidding for the top corners.  There is some speculation TT will go for 2nd tier corners but what does that mean.

If the above report is accurate the mid range corners at Amarkama ( 45) Kirkpatrick 46 and Clairborne 59- But they are all ranked lower than Hyde (32)

Why bother bringing these guys in other than the fact that they are veterans?

If you'll notice, Hyde is one of 2 players listed as a "defensive back" instead of a CB.  So while he may be ranked higher, he isn't being ranked as a CB.  They've got him listed as a Safety in their positional breakdown of the list.  Hyde is what he is IMO.  He's a situational player who has clear limitations as an athlete. 

IMO, our defense needs a Sam Shields replacement.  Right now, we're as bad on the boundary at CB as any team in the NFL.  Will be interesting if the vacancy will be address or if they'd rather use exactly the same group we seen all year last season. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Hopefully that same 'group' won't be injured for most of the year.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »

So you dont think the folks @ NFL.com took his versatility into account when making the rankings? Otherwise, why do you feel his ranking artificially high?

The reason is all pretty much there- the inability to reliably play on the perimeter and limited athleticism leads me to believe he is over rated.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:24:17 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
I just received tweets that
  • Falcons, Jets and Colts are aggressively pursuing Perry - Pack pushing to resign. - could get ugly
  • Hyde unlikely to return to Pack,  "Aggressively" pursuing other options

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 06:21:52 AM »
You can add Tony Romo to the FA list. The Cowboys are set to release him Thursday:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18854803/dallas-cowboys-release-tony-romo-thursday
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline maxman44

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
NFLTradeRumors.co‏ @nfltrade_rumors 1m1 minute ago

Browns Signing OL J.C. Tretter To Deal Worth Around $8.5M Per Year http://bit.ly/2niOBLQ  #Browns

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
I think Green Bay should sign Pryor as punishment for signing Tretter.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
I think Green Bay should sign Pryor as punishment for signing Tretter.

Browns already punished themselves by signing Kenny Britt to a big contract to be his replacement.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
8.5 million for a decent starter who has missed half the games in his career? ! ( Tretter

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000791901/article/browns-to-sign-kevin-zeitler-to-5year-60m-deal

Crazy money- Lang is generally regarded as the 2nd best guard behind Zeitler- no way the Pack can afford him.

If memory serves me correctly, and there is no guarantee it does, the Packer really liked Zeitler but just missed him

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
The rich seem to be just getting richer.  New England traded a 4th for the Colt's starting TE Allen and it looks like their locking up FA's best CB in Gilmore.  They also might be trading Butler to New Orleans for Brandon Cooks.  I guess that is why New England is BY FAR the best and most successful franchise in the NFL.  They use all their tools and have built a dynasty because they are so versatile (trades, draft and UFAs).
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
The rich seem to be just getting richer.  New England traded a 4th for the Colt's starting TE Allen and it looks like their locking up FA's best CB in Gilmore.  They also might be trading Butler to New Orleans for Brandon Cooks.  I guess that is why New England is BY FAR the best and most successful franchise in the NFL.  They use all their tools and have built a dynasty because they are so versatile (trades, draft and UFAs).

No denying that the Patriots are the cream of the crop, but these aren't unanimously great moves. Gilmore has his warts as a corner and they're paying him a LOT of money to replace Logan Ryan, who was very good last year. Also, as good as Cooks may be, a lot of Pats fans are going to be outraged if they trade Butler. Of course they traded Jones and Collins, too, and those moves worked out... but just saying.