Author Topic: Lacy  (Read 16075 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Re: Lacy
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
HA,HA,HA...Still nothing on the internet about an impending Packer re-signing by the Packers. But I  DID find this except from an ESPN satellite over in Viking-Land:

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/02/will-price-tag-eddie-lacy-affect-vikings-thinking-peterson/

If you scroll down the page and read the comments, many are excited about the possibility of Lacy replacing AD. And there was also something about a potential TJ signing. The minny fans just can’t let go of the obsession to BE the Packers!  ;)

I don't think we can contact/sign any FAs until March 7th.

I’m not saying anything about when the Packers or Minnesota may sign a free agent, only posting content and comments from another team-related site.

Here’s an excerpt from an article, written by an NFL agent. I think it outlines the free agent timelines and process quite well, and in layperson’s terms. I also think it may apply to Lacy’s situation:

February 23rd to March 8th: Negotiations between players and their existing club will heat up, if they are interested that is. Agents will press existing teams to step up and get a deal done. Teams aggressively wanting to sign a UFA will start putting numbers on the table and convince the agent to have the player visit them first on March 11th. Some teams will let their own players willingly go into free agency to establish a market. They may sit back and gamble playing “match the market”. Thus, keeping tabs on the player and what other teams are offering then hoping to match it before losing the player. Look for some deals to get done in this time tranche.

Also, for anybody interested, here’s the entire article about the free agency process:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/how-nfl-free-agency-really-works-2784/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:44:00 AM by JQ »

Offline ebterp

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
I would only bring him back on this type of deal...what has he done that makes us think he is worth much of anything besides not take care of himself and get hurt....

EB

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »
I would only bring him back on this type of deal...what has he done that makes us think he is worth much of anything besides not take care of himself and get hurt....

EB

Food for thought.  Nick Perry was a 1 sided OLB who had no business being on the field on 3rd downs at the end of his rookie deal.  He also couldn't' stay on the field and rarely contributed through out his entire rookie deal. He signed the one year deal this last off season and he was arguably our best defender. 

Eddie Lacy averaged more than 5 yards a carry last year before injury.  At the time of the injury No RB in the NFL had more broken tackles or yards after contact despite Lacy getting substantially less carries than his peers.  Only 3 RBs in the NFL had more 20 yard runs when he got hurt.  The idea that Lacy is in some way responsible for his broken ankle may is nothing short of ridiculous.  Was Jordy Nelson responsible for his knee injury when he cut in the wrong direction?  Was Aaron Rodgers at fault for falling on his color bone wrong which resulted in the break? 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »

EB

Food for thought.  Nick Perry was a 1 sided OLB who had no business being on the field on 3rd downs at the end of his rookie deal.  He also couldn't' stay on the field and rarely contributed through out his entire rookie deal. He signed the one year deal this last off season and he was arguably our best defender. 

Eddie Lacy averaged more than 5 yards a carry last year before injury.  At the time of the injury No RB in the NFL had more broken tackles or yards after contact despite Lacy getting substantially less carries than his peers.  Only 3 RBs in the NFL had more 20 yard runs when he got hurt.  The idea that Lacy is in some way responsible for his broken ankle may is nothing short of ridiculous.  Was Jordy Nelson responsible for his knee injury when he cut in the wrong direction?  Was Aaron Rodgers at fault for falling on his color bone wrong which resulted in the break?

thumbsup)  goodpost
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
There were signs in year 4 that Perry was on the rise.  One could argue that there are signs (specifically weight issues and explosiveness) that Lacy is going the other way. 

I'd be more than comfortable seeing Ted give Lacy up to 4 per year.  After that you have to start to weigh other options.  The draft is loaded with backs that could replace his production and durability. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline heikks86

• Second String
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »

EB

I've seen it mentioned here and other packer forums that people seem to think that Lacys weight is the reason he hurt his ankle.

I think it would be a mistake to let him leave, Montgomery is a good secondary back but I don't think he can carry the full workload.

If Lacy went to NE and had a huge season they would start trashing TT for letting him go even though they didn't want him back, similar to what happened with Hayward

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:50 AM »
I'd sign Lacy to a low incentive based contract, draft a decent RB in the first 3 rounds.  Move Lacy to a short yardage guy, ball control RB.  He's to slow to be a feature back, cant get outside, and is too slow in the passing game.  Defenses pack in the middle of the field for Lacy knowing he cant get outside or 3 guys will be waiting for him.  At this point Lacy would be insurance for me.  Find a good multi purpose RB that can take advantage of defenses playing against Rodgers and the passing game.  A decent RB could thrive in this offense and have a Brian Westbrook/Marshall Faulk type impact.  Lacy isnt going to do that. 

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
... draft a decent RB in the first 3 rounds.  ....A decent RB could thrive in this offense and have a Brian Westbrook/Marshall Faulk type impact.  Lacy isnt going to do that.

Easy enough.  Find a hall of fame running back in the first 3 rounds. Problem solved. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
There were signs in year 4 that Perry was on the rise.  One could argue that there are signs (specifically weight issues and explosiveness) that Lacy is going the other way. 

I'd be more than comfortable seeing Ted give Lacy up to 4 per year.  After that you have to start to weigh other options.  The draft is loaded with backs that could replace his production and durability.

There were signs in the post season where he had just as many sacks as he had in the entire regular season.  Throughout the regular season, he was non existent as a pass rusher and used primarily as a run defender due to his struggles on passing downs.  In that season he also showed he couldn't stay on the field.  while I'll openly admit he is our most important UFA, signing him to a massive extension is pretty scary.  he's got just 1 season as a pro where he's looked like a capable starter and he's never played a full season in the NFL.  He's shown to be as injury prone as any player we've got on the roster. 

What signs did Eddie Lacy show last year that he was "going the other way"?  Like I said earlier, no RB in the NFL had more broken tackles or yards after contact.  He was also getting huge chunk runs as only 3 RBs had more 20 yarders.  All this with just 14 touches a game and averaging more than 5 YPC.  He was on pace to have his best season as a pro which is crazy considering Lacy is a usually a slow starter on the season.  IMO, the biggest reason Lacy gets trashed around here is because he isn't and will never be LeVeon Bell or David Johnson.  Some think RBs like that fall off trees are easily obtainable by all when reality is players like that don't come around very often.  the idea that Eddie Lacy isn't' a starting caliber NFL RB anymore is nothing short of ridiculous (like stated above).

I'm not advocating for a massive deal and wouldn't at all be upset if we let Lacy walk due the contract he was able to get elsewhere or if he felt he had better opportunity elsewhere.  My point is I just don't understand the negativity around him considering he was on pace to have the best season of his career last year before injury and he was doing it with fewer carries than he'd ever gotten in his 2 pro bowl caliber years.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
... draft a decent RB in the first 3 rounds.  ....A decent RB could thrive in this offense and have a Brian Westbrook/Marshall Faulk type impact.  Lacy isnt going to do that.

Easy enough.  Find a hall of fame running back in the first 3 rounds. Problem solved.

First off your handle is one of my favorite Packers. Second...good come back. You can read anything at this point and it means nothing. I saw where the Packers were the favorite team to land the Pittsburg RB. Are you kidding me? If TT did that I would want to know where they stashed the real TT.
I think the Packers will try and offer Lacy a contract that's a one year prove it. Lacy may decide to go to a warmer climate to extend his playing years. So I do look for TT to draft that HOF RB in the 3rd round as well to solve the problems.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »

David Johnson, RB, AZ Cardinals, 3rd round pick in 2015.  There are guys like that out there, and a upgrade over Lacy wouldnt be that difficult if he wants to spend the pick.       

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »

David Johnson, RB, AZ Cardinals, 3rd round pick in 2015.  There are guys like that out there, and a upgrade over Lacy wouldnt be that difficult if he wants to spend the pick.     

Right because every RB drafted in the NFL is the caliber of player that David Johnson is.  There are dozens of RBs selected and signed every year in the NFL, very rarely does a David Johnson caliber player fall on your lap.  It's funny that you think that that caliber of player is the type that just falls off a tree and is easy to find.  I'm pretty sure I don't recall you advocating for the selection of David Johnson during the 2015 NFL draft.  It's easy to point out the easy picks 2 years after their made....   8)

Offline heikks86

• Second String
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »

Watch the Giants game last season and look at the runs Lacy was ripping off. I watched the highlights looking to see his injury and he was beastly that game. There were no signs last season that Lacy was having any weight issues, he looked like the Lacy who was on a tear his first two seasons