September 26, 2017, 07:56:05 AM

Author Topic: Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice  (Read 8283 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Well, Lang has made a very smart move, IMO. Since there is no firm offer from the Packers, he has decided to publicly declare his interest in testing the market. At the same time, he makes it clear he would prefer staying with the PAckers, giving them the right of first refusal. So, he gets to have his cake and eat it, too. Though, on second thought, why would another team offer him a contract, going through all the rigamarole of fitting him within the cap, etc., only to have him go back to the Packers for less money?

Soon, there will probably be at least one or two teams who check him out, and make him an offer. The amounts will leak, and we'll all have a chance to decide whether we would pay that much for Lang. Or try to keep Tretter. Or let both of them walk, and hope the replacement for Lang would be as smooth as the "change of guard" with Sitton.

Then again, there might literally be another unexpected "changing of the guard" again this offseason. Because Patrick sounds hungry and eager to play

Oops, originally forgot the link. Multitasking is just another word for doing more than one thing poorly at the same time:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/02/24/patrick-prepared-if-packers-guards-down/98350824/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:55:51 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
Re: Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 06:09:24 PM »
I am afraid we will see TJ in purple and white next season.  The Vikings have made no secret about looking for some OL help and to add a top G along with having another longtime Packer join them just seems to be the writing on the wall.  Wouldn't even be a shocker if it is one of the very first moves that occurs once free agency begins. 

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Honolulu Blue and Silver. The Lions are going to be all over him. He's a local boy and they need a guard badly. 
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
49ers also in serious need of a starting quality guard.....his veteran smarts and tough guy demeanour would go down very well in an organisation trying to change a bad team.....and they have stupid amounts of money.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »
Wilde And Tausch @WildeAndTausch
Lang: There has been a little bit of contact (w/ the #Packers). (Agent) definitely has plans to sit down with Green Bay. #Packers
9:11 AM - 28 Feb 2017

I am surprised by this- maybe they will bring him back after all.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Lang: There has been a little bit of contact (w/ the #Packers). (Agent) definitely has plans to sit down with Green Bay. #Packers

Id certainly hope the Packers have the decorum to at the least have a conversation with TJ and his agent, even if its only as a show of respect. Hes earned that!

Ive already stated I hope they bring him back. They need somebody on that O-Line to be the Enforcer! If TJ leaves Id look for Linsley to step into that role.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »
Id certainly hope the Packers have the decorum to at the least have a conversation with TJ and his agent, even if its only as a show of respect. Hes earned that!

Ive already stated I hope they bring him back. They need somebody on that O-Line to be the Enforcer! If TJ leaves Id look for Linsley to step into that role.

The Packers have talked with his agent. That much is clear. The question is, will other teams offer a "poison pill" contract? The Vikings did this to the Seahawks, offering Steve Hutchinson a huge contract, which Seattle declined to match. This could be the sticking point- that another team will simply make Lang an offer he can't refuse. And which the Packers would refuse to match. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »
I think teams that really want him no how to get him away from the Packers.  Find out what he's worth, then offer him more.   TT will not get involved.  I hope I'm wrong.  We should pay him as a top 5 guard.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »
Except for years when everyone got hurt, we've had a consistently good ol. I'm satisfied that TT and mm will handle this and we'll most likely continue to have a pretty good ol.

I'm far more concerned about DB and lb.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
I would rather have Lang than Tretter, because of the injury issues, but we don't know the extent of Lang's last operation. If another team really wants him and overpays him....TT let's him walk.
There will be disruption on the offense until that position is solidified, and the replacement is probably already on the team.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »

IN fact, Ted is planning to talk with his impending FA's at the combine:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37647/dont-be-surprised-if-the-packers-get-a-deal-or-two-done-at-the-combine
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
I think teams that really want him no how to get him away from the Packers.  Find out what he's worth, then offer him more.   TT will not get involved.  I hope I'm wrong.  We should pay him as a top 5 guard.
You are confusing UFA with Ted signing his own. He had no problem giving Bakhtiari a huge contract. he does pay his own.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
Wouldn't pay him as a top 5 guard.  He is an aging veteran battling injuries through out his career.  Nope pass.  He may have a few good seasons left in the tank but top 5 money for a guy on the downside of his career would be reckless IMO.  Want him back but at a reasonable number.  Otherwise we'll have to go young and hope a guy steps up.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »

Ted Thompson on re-signing some of the Packers key free agents before the market opens: "Over the years, we've been able to sign a bunch of our guys right before (free agency opens). My guess is that's what's going to happen."
Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
There is going to be a lot of money thrown around this offseason with the amount of available cap space there is all over the NFL.  IMO if Lang isn't  extended by the 7th, we should plan on him not being here next year.  He's going to be expensive and I'm not sure Thompson is going to spend that kind of money on a Guard.  Guards seem to be getting more and more expensive as the top guys are all signing new deals making 10+ million a year. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.