November 19, 2017, 04:09:42 AM

Author Topic: Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice  (Read 9680 times)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
Re: Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
OK, so based upon whats been posted about compensatory picks, if TJ signs elsewhere, the BIGGER the BUCKS, the higher the compensation the Packers will get next year. Correct or not?

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
That's essentially correct.  As I understand it about 80% of the comp pick is determined by dollars.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »

Ted Thompson on re-signing some of the Packers key free agents before the market opens: "Over the years, we've been able to sign a bunch of our guys right before (free agency opens). My guess is that's what's going to happen."
Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Good Catch Leader!

As tight-lipped as Thompson is, thats about as close as hell ever come to saying, Well be re-signing some of our players in the next few days. Will TJ be one of them?-->>Had to get back to the OP!  ( - ; #
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:46:24 PM by JQ »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
Id certainly hope the Packers have the decorum to at the least have a conversation with TJ and his agent, even if its only as a show of respect. Hes earned that!

Ive already stated I hope they bring him back. They need somebody on that O-Line to be the Enforcer! If TJ leaves Id look for Linsley to step into that role.

The Packers have talked with his agent. That much is clear. The question is, will other teams offer a "poison pill" contract? The Vikings did this to the Seahawks, offering Steve Hutchinson a huge contract, which Seattle declined to match. This could be the sticking point- that another team will simply make Lang an offer he can't refuse. And which the Packers would refuse to match.

I think the Hutchinson comparison is a reach, imo.

Hutch was 27 years old when he signed that poison pill deal, and he had not had any injury/health issues prior to that signing.

I would have a hard time seeing teams think the same way about a 30 year old, multiple surgeries guy like Lang.

The only comparison between the two is that both were all-pro.

JMHO.

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »
The NFL took away many of the poison pills that were briefly employed. Creates to much ill will and bad press
Lots of ways to structure a deal, but the crazy stuff is gone

Lang wants to be in GB, Lang's agent wants to get the most cash possible
And MM dropped a comment saying "TJ wouldn't be ready to do anything until TC" - hoping to deflect some of the interest in TJ from other teams
TJ tweeted a response noting he had the same hip surgery last year and made the Pro Bowl...

Such is the silly season

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000791901/article/browns-to-sign-kevin-zeitler-to-5year-60m-deal

Lang is generally regarded as the 2nd best guard out there after Zeitler- Given the amount of money Zeitler got the best option for Packer fans is to hope that TJ gets a lot of money when he signs elsewhere which will improve the comp pick

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
Zeitler is 27, and is he healthy too?  Not sure where Lang's health issues place him on the market. 

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
I read earlier that Lang will have to take visits before he signs anywhere, since teams want to look at his hip. He won't get as much as Zeitler, but I could see him getting around $9-10M/year conservatively. Crazy that's only a little more than Tretter signed for.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 02:46:51 PM »
I'm really hoping they let Lang walk if were talking about 8-10 million a year.  given his age and the fact that he's suffered through multiple debilitating injuries the last couple years, its only a matter of time before his body breaks down.  He reminds me a little of Marco Rivera at the end of his Packer career and he left just in the nick of time seeing that he never returned to the player he was while in GB. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
Zeitler is 27, and is he healthy too?  Not sure where Lang's health issues place him on the market.

Zeitler has started 71 out of a possible 80 games in his career, starting all 16 regular season games three times.

While Lang has had injury issues (and he's 29), he is one tough SOB and played through them.  But those injuries and age will likely discount his value in comparison to what Zeitler got.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
When was Lang All Pro?  Pro Bowl is not the same.

Hutchinson was All Pro, and in fact, many think he was the best guard of his era.

Lang is good but not that good.   Plus he is thirty and was injured last year.

I would not mind letting him walk if he is too expensive to sign.  I mean if we sign him and Perry, that is a lot of money

We have Lucas Patrick right?  And we can draft a guard also.

Offline wonderfulwilly

• Second String
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
I'm really hoping they let Lang walk if were talking about 8-10 million a year.  given his age and the fact that he's suffered through multiple debilitating injuries the last couple years, its only a matter of time before his body breaks down.  He reminds me a little of Marco Rivera at the end of his Packer career and he left just in the nick of time seeing that he never returned to the player he was while in GB.

I agree. Let's not forget that that Linsley will be cashing in next off season for at least 9 mil per. And Taylor will be a FA too. Can't pay all these guys. Time to look for a bargain signing on the interior of the OL. Doesn't even need to be day one starter, but depth that can back up all three interior spots would be huge. Spriggs, Murphy, and Patrick can compete to start. Add someone in the draft and you are set.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Apparently visiting with Detroit and Seattle. GB still trying to re-sign him.

maxman44

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm a big Lang supporter but I think we let him walk...$10 million/year for an aging guard is too much

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
I'm a big Lang supporter but I think we let him walk...$10 million/year for an aging guard is too much

If our competitors want to spend $10/year for an aging injured guard, not sure that does us any harm. 

with the back and hip and foot stuff, I'm really skeptical that anybody's going to get anywhere close to $10/year on him at this point in the offseason.  Seems hard to believe. 

Packers have some cash to spend.  If they don't on Tretter Lang; if they're not going to pay Hyde; where is their remaining $30 m or whatever going to go?