November 19, 2017, 04:11:51 AM

Author Topic: Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice  (Read 9681 times)

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
Re: Lang set to test FA- Packers the first choice
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
I'm a big Lang supporter but I think we let him walk...$10 million/year for an aging guard is too much

If our competitors want to spend $10/year for an aging injured guard, not sure that does us any harm. 

with the back and hip and foot stuff, I'm really skeptical that anybody's going to get anywhere close to $10/year on him at this point in the offseason.  Seems hard to believe. 

Packers have some cash to spend.  If they don't on Tretter Lang; if they're not going to pay Hyde; where is their remaining $30 m or whatever going to go?

Cook will eat up 6
Hyde 5
Lacy 5
D Jones 4
rookies 1 or 2
so that's 21.5

Roll 9 into next year

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 04:25:36 PM »
I though we had like $45 or $48 or something?  Not sure, but Perry will be peanuts next year, ($5 or so?), so even after Perry, and rookies, and Ted's rollover ($6), and $2 (??) for rookies, there should still be like $32-35 in FA-spendable?

Hyde's gone.  Lacy and Jones won't cost $5/4 (or shouldn't.) 
Cook will get multiyear with guarantee, so even if average is $6 the first-year cap will be $4 or less. 

So, lets say $33 cap to actually spend (after already removing rollover and rookie $$): 
-$4 Cook => $29
-$4 (max) Lacy => $25. 
-$3 (max) Datone => $22. 

If they do sign Lang, he'll get a bonus.  So again, even if it averages $8-9, don't think it would exceed $7 for 2017 cap hit. 
Ted is going to HAVE to sign some other guys.  I suppose he could burn more than we expect on Peppers.....

Maybe he really will go outside and get a RB or a lineman. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
Are their Lane-Taylor-esque guards from other teams that have been blocked for several years and are not hitting the market?  If Lang is going to get $8-9, the obvious Packer way is to replace from within. 

But hypothetically, it isn't impossible to sign some other outside FA who isn't as expensive or proven as Lang, but who might be more experienced and better than either of Spriggs, Murphy, or Patrick?  And who might be more talented than Barclay? 

We've had talks about optimism for Patrick, and optimism that Murphy might be good.  But for all the legendary 2nd-year-leap that MM always talks about, how many 2nd-year-leaps have we actually seen in the last few years? 

I've got a fear that if Lang goes, that they'll end up resigning Barclay and he'll end up starting ahead of Patrick, Murphy and Spriggs. 

I do wonder what would happen if they use a weaker but fast, mobile guy like Spriggs at guard, whether they might design some runs that depend more on speed than brute strength. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
What makes you think Barclay would start ahead of Patrick?

Plus, if Lang goes, I think they will draft a guard fairly high.

I don't think MM wants Barclay starting.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »
Lang is scheduled to visit Seattle tomorrow, if he gets out of Detroit tonight.  Seattle has him as a top priority.  They want him, but not sure of the money the have available.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 07:13:55 PM »
From what I can see, the Hawks have about 24 million in room, so they can sign him if they really wish to.

And they really need OL help.  The problem is Zeitler really raised the ceiling on guards.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »
It will be interesting to see how soon Lang actually signs with a team.  With his injuries, recent surgery(ies), and likelihood in not participating in any offseason activities, possibly lingering into training camp - that's potentially a lot of dough with heightened uncertainties for a team.  GB may feel more comfortable because they know he has great familiarity in their system but do other teams?  He's a good player, so wouldn't shock me if he signs soon - also wouldn't shock me if he is still waiting on a deal after the draft as teams evaluate his medicals/recovery

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
Agree, Guy, seems kind of high-risk for a team to shell out big bucks this week on him. 

But, I guess it's a game of calculated risk, so maybe a team figures other teams being scared off provides them an opportunity to get him a little cheaper and with a little less competition?  Or something? 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
What makes you think Barclay would start ahead of Patrick?

Plus, if Lang goes, I think they will draft a guard fairly high.

I don't think MM wants Barclay starting.

I have no idea what will happen.  I do know only that late in season, when Lang would go out, Barclay would replace him.  And that over the years MM has talked up Barclay and said he views him as a starter-caliber player.  And most coaches like veterans, all else equal. 

So I think the burden of proof may be on the rookies to improve enough to pass him up. 

They've only got so many high draft picks.  Wouldn't want to waste one on a guard...

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »
I think they have to draft a guard.  But I would draft one is say the fourth round.  OR latest with our first fifth rounder.

We simply do not have depth in the interior line, especially now with Tretter gone.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:49 PM »
I think they have to draft a guard.  But I would draft one is say the fourth round.  OR latest with our first fifth rounder.

We simply do not have depth in the interior line, especially now with Tretter gone.

Unless we move Bulaga inside to RG and Spriggs to RT.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
TJ’s visiting seattle:

http://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/09/free-agent-and-former-packers-guard-t-j-lang-to-visit-seattle-seahawks/

\ - : #

I heard on the NFL Network that the Hawks want to sign Lang, but likely have to cut 2-3 of it's core players, so they are weighing there options.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:31:52 AM by whiterook87 »
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »

Unless we move Bulaga inside to RG and Spriggs to RT.

Would be disappointing with Bulaga being one of the best right tackles this past year  :|

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »
Stability in the offensive line is very important. Barclay should never be a starter, go back to the game threads when Barclay was consistently being beaten like a drum. During these real time evaluations everyone was clamoring for his departure, yet now that those memories have faded re-signing Barclay is perceived to be a good idea?
Offense is currently our greatest strength and we are lucky to have AR who can hide deficiencies with his movement, however we can't keep putting all of the burden on him by allowing good players to leave and replacing them with JAG.