September 23, 2017, 07:38:48 AM

Author Topic: Peppers Sign with Carolina  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
Re: Peppers Sign with Carolina
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
I am curious to see where he goes-  I would like him back in Green Bay, but if he wants a ring and doesn't care about money I can see him signing with New England.

If he doesn't care about the money he might return to GB.  Our QB is not as long in the tooth as Brady.  I don't know why but I have this gut feeling Brady's best days might be behind him.  He will be 40 in August and once a player reaches that age his skills can go to hell almost overnight.
Brady may be 40, but here's three reasons why he'll still be a threat next year, and possibly beyond:
1.  The system he plays in is perfect for his style and age
2.  His mind is still sharp, and his experience in big games is invaluable
3.  Have you ever read or heard about his diet and exercise regiment?  The dude is physically more healthy than players 10 years younger than him, aside from his previous knee injuries of course.

Add in the weapons he has around him and the coaching staff, and you can pretty much put to bed any notions of an "overnight decline".  He may slip slightly, but not enough IMO to start discounting him.  Peppers would probably jump at an opportunity to play with him and BB if negotiations with the Packers go nowhere.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »
Don't want him back.

If Perry leaves in FA and Peppers doesn't ask for the moon I would consider it.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
I am curious to see where he goes-  I would like him back in Green Bay, but if he wants a ring and doesn't care about money I can see him signing with New England.

If he doesn't care about the money he might return to GB.  Our QB is not as long in the tooth as Brady.  I don't know why but I have this gut feeling Brady's best days might be behind him.  He will be 40 in August and once a player reaches that age his skills can go to hell almost overnight.
Brady may be 40, but here's three reasons why he'll still be a threat next year, and possibly beyond:
1.  The system he plays in is perfect for his style and age
2.  His mind is still sharp, and his experience in big games is invaluable
3.  Have you ever read or heard about his diet and exercise regiment?  The dude is physically more healthy than players 10 years younger than him, aside from his previous knee injuries of course.

Add in the weapons he has around him and the coaching staff, and you can pretty much put to bed any notions of an "overnight decline".  He may slip slightly, but not enough IMO to start discounting him.  Peppers would probably jump at an opportunity to play with him and BB if negotiations with the Packers go nowhere.

Maybe Brady can beat the odds but only a tiny handful of QBs 40 years or older have been effective starters in league history.  Back in 2009 Favre looked like he found the fountain of youth but in 2010 he was finished.  Not even Tom Brady can beat Father Time. 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
Cheech id hate to see your reaction if we would have cut Peppers and went with Jayrone and Fackrell last season. Cause I guarantee you those two wont have even come close to matching Peppers production last year.

Fackrell was substantially more productive per snap.

This simply isn't true.  This is just your hatred for Peppers clouding your judgement.  Kyle Fackrell showed very little last year.  he put very little pressure on the QB and he was terrible in run defense.  He didn't look like  he had any business playing OLB in our scheme as he got physically dominated by tackles almost every single time they got their hands on him.  You'd have thrown a fit every week if fackrell had been second on the team in snaps at OLB (like Peppers).  Peppers was inconsistent but to compare the two is disingenuous and almost insulting for the people who watch football and don't have a clear bias against Peppers.  All season long you trashed him and completely ignored the plays he did make going as far as giving all the credit to Jones and Perry (2 players that I never once seen you criticize).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:05:25 AM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
I've become convinced Tom Brady isn't human.  The guy won't even eat a tomato!

As for Peppers, you can't have too many pass rushers.  Depends on the price though.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
James Harrision from Pittsburgh just signed a 2 year deal worth 1.75 mil per season. Charles Woodson played his final 2 years for the Raiders for about that much as well.
If we can get Peppers back on a 1 year deal for between 1.75-2.75 mil, I'd be willing to bring him back and just use him very situationally.
His agent made it sound like there is some mutual interest in Peppers returning to the Pack.

Yup.  At $2.5 or less, I can't complain.  Even if you do resign Perry, which I assume we should and we will, there are still plenty of snaps.  I don't want them all being assumed for a 2nd-round rookie, or for Fackrell and Jayrone. 

Given all of our needs, I'd have a hard time going $4+ for Peppers.  But under $3, why not?  He makes a play once in a while, and there's the anti-awful factor.

I'd prioritize Perry of course, but would like to get either Peppers or Datone back at modest price.  Between injuries and matchups and uncertain rookie capacity, it would be nice to have some volume of anti-awful OLB.  A lot of snaps for Perry, but not every snap of every game, and he may be nicked and out for some games too.  Matthews could get some snaps out there, but not too many.  Hopefully a 1st or 2nd round draft pick will be good, and will be useful and used, maybe exciting and fun.  But expecting a rookie draft pick to be a heavy-snaps guy would not be the norm based on what we've seen from rookie Perry, rookie Datone, rookie Jerrel Worthy, or rookie Mike Neal, our more recent 1st/2nd-round pass-rush selections.  Hopefully Fackrell will step it up some and earn some snaps.  But having Peppers in the collective, if it's wasted money because some of the younger guys stay so healthy and play so well that Peppers doesn't even get used hardly, that would be just a wonderful waste of money!  We should only be so fortunate!   

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
I had been all for re-signing Perry.

But......I'm starting to think the smart play might be re-signing Peppers and Datone to 1 year deals and letting Perry walk. It seems that he may set the market for OLB signings this off-season and I just dont see as worth a $10-12 million/ year deal. He is a "good" player, but he wont confuse anyone for a game changer. When Clay was hurt and missed games this year, he did nothing. He hasnt played a full season in his entire career.

I'm think thinking we can probably get Peppers and Datone back for $6 mil or less vs. the cap this year. Perry might be palatable vs. the cap this year because of the how the contract is structured, but it will still be larger than $6 mil and we likely arent getting him any cheaper than 4 years 40 mil. Its a good pass rusher draft and we can probably get a really nice prospect in 1st or 2nd round.

Plus we would likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Perry next year.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:29:38 PM by JPPlaya »

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 01:07:06 PM »
I had been all for re-signing Perry.

But......I'm starting to think the smart play might be re-signing Peppers and Datone to 1 year deals and letting Perry walk. It seems that he may set the market for OLB signings this off-season and I just dont see as worth a $10-12 million/ year deal. He is a "good" player, but he wont confuse anyone for a game changer. When Clay was hurt and missed games this year, he did nothing. He hasnt played a full season in his entire career.

I'm think thinking we can probably get Peppers and Datone back for $6 mil or less vs. the cap this year. Perry might be palatable vs. the cap this year because of the how the contract is structured, but it will still be larger than $6 mil and we likely arent getting him any cheaper than 4 years 40 mil. Its a good pass rusher draft and we can probably get a really nice prospect in 1st or 2nd round.

Plus we would likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Perry next year.

Is that Smart though?  Nick Perry is only 26 years old.  With us moving CM3 to ILB full time, I don't feel like we are deep enough at OLB for this to be smart.  Peppers is 37 years old and it showed last year.  He was nothing short of terrible in run support and went through really really long stretches of being invisible on pass downs.  Datone Jones has 9 career sacks and got to the QB just 1 time last year.  Not only is he not a starting caliber OLB, I'm not sure he has any business being on pass downs. 

I understand the risks of signing Perry given his career and his injuries but we simply don't have the depth at pass rushers.

IMO, its a lot like signing Bryan Buluga like we did.  He was a player who spent the vast majority of his first contract injured and inconsistent but he was irreplaceable at the time so it was an acceptable expense.

I'm not all that worried about the cap space given that Thompson isn't going to use it on any improvements. 

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
The Packers could have and should have cut Peppers and saved 8 million last year.  He's not the worst player in the league, but it's past time to move on.

Maybe we could package him with Hundley and trade them to the browns for the #1 pick

Still don't understand the concept of market value do you?  MIke Glennon is expected to receive 14 to 15m  in free agency.  But Brett Hundley is worth less than a 5th?  Ok.
You obviously don't understand the concept of sarcasm and the fact he is mocking you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:27:49 PM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
Cheech id hate to see your reaction if we would have cut Peppers and went with Jayrone and Fackrell last season. Cause I guarantee you those two wont have even come close to matching Peppers production last year.

Fackrell was substantially more productive per snap.

This simply isn't true.  This is just your hatred for Peppers clouding your judgement.  Kyle Fackrell showed very little last year.  he put very little pressure on the QB and he was terrible in run defense.  He didn't look like  he had any business playing OLB in our scheme as he got physically dominated by tackles almost every single time they got their hands on him.  You'd have thrown a fit every week if fackrell had been second on the team in snaps at OLB (like Peppers).  Peppers was inconsistent but to compare the two is disingenuous and almost insulting for the people who watch football and don't have a clear bias against Peppers.  All season long you trashed him and completely ignored the plays he did make going as far as giving all the credit to Jones and Perry (2 players that I never once seen you criticize).

LOL.  You're absolutely right about everything here and I'm notrying even being sarcastic.  I still would have rather put Elliott or Fackrell on the field on passing downs and had Matthews rush from the interior last year than watch Peppers struggle at 10m. 

Perry is often injured but I love what he did last year.  Jones flashes so much potential to be a very good player but he struggles so hard to finish plays.  I THINK his calling is strong-side DE who plays inside on passing downs. 

I want them both back because we just don't have viable options outside of those 2 on running downs.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 07:59:12 PM »

Tomatoes were once served to George Washington in an attempt to poison him.

Tomatoes are the only edible member of the hemlock family, and they too are very mildly poisonous.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »

Tomatoes are the only edible member of the hemlock family, and they too are very mildly poisonous.

The hemlock family???   Yikes.    :o

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »

Well, that reduces the amount of good tasting "clean" foods to zero.  So much for salsa.   >:(

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »

Well, that reduces the amount of good tasting "clean" foods to zero.  So much for salsa.   >:(

Actually, ingesting a bit of poison can be a good thing as it kills those pesky bacteria and parasites that live within you. So - next time - double dip that Salsa! 

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »

LOL.  You're absolutely right about everything here and I'm notrying even being sarcastic.  I still would have rather put Elliott or Fackrell on the field on passing downs and had Matthews rush from the interior last year than watch Peppers struggle at 10m. 

Perry is often injured but I love what he did last year.  Jones flashes so much potential to be a very good player but he struggles so hard to finish plays.  I THINK his calling is strong-side DE who plays inside on passing downs. 

I want them both back because we just don't have viable options outside of those 2 on running downs.

We don't have viable options on either passing or running downs.  I completely agree that we need at least Perry back.  If we can get Jones back on a one year deal with limited guarantees, I'd be ok with that because while he is a putrid pass rusher, he does provide something on running downs. 

If we lose Perry and management expects Fackrell or Elliott to replace him, our defense is going to be in a substantial amount of trouble.