September 23, 2017, 07:38:12 AM

Author Topic: Datone Jones to Vikings  (Read 2407 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Datone Jones to Vikings
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:01 PM »
Bakhtiari now the only remaining member of the 2013 draft class.
Brutal. That's just embarrassing for a team that prides itself on draft and develop.

But the Packers DID draft and develop this draft class, which was a very large class (BTW).

1   26   Datone Jones, DE, UCLA (Leaves UFA)
2   55   a-Traded to 49ers
2   61   Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama (a-From 49ers) (Leaves UFA)
3   88   b-Traded to 49ers
3   93   c-Traded to Dolphins, from 49ers
4   109   David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado (c-From Dolphins) (All-Pro player)
4   122   J.C. Tretter, OT, Cornell (Leaves UFA)
4   125   Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA (d - Acquired from Broncos) (Career ends with injury)
5   146   d -Traded to Broncos, from Dolphins
5   159   Micah Hyde, FS, Iowa (Leaves UFA)
5   167   Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi St. (compensatory) (Leaves due to injury)
6   173   d-Traded to Broncos, from 49ers
6   193   Nate Palmer, OLB, Illinois St.(released)
7   216   Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley St. (b-From 49ers) (claimed from practice squad)
7   224   Kevin Dorsey, WR, Maryland (c-From Dolphins) (released)
7   232   Sam Barrington, OLB, South Florida (released/but had been starter before being injured)

You can't extend everybody's contract. It would have been stupid for GB to sign all of Lacy, Tretter, Hyde, and Jones on top of extending Perry and bringing in Bennett, Kendricks, and House.
Interesting side note............the only two players who didn't make the 53 man roster out of an 11 player draft were Charles Johnson, and Kevin Dorsey (but both were signed to the PS).

Obviously, either Ted believes that they no longer fit in GB's plans (Jones), or they weren't worth the money they got in FA (Lacy, Tretter, Hyde)

It's the business side of the NFL. I can deal with it.

Free agency is only in Week 2 and GB is sitting on a pile of money. There will be more moves to come.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo

DE Datone Jones' deal with the Vikings: One year, $3.75 million with the chance to make $5 million, source says.

That's a lot like what Perry signed last year when he signed for 1 year with only 1.5 million guaranteed.  Wonder how its structured?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:37:52 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »
Jeez man, this just hasn't been a good day for me.  I had hoped we'd be able to sign both of these guys (Lacy and Jones) for "reasonable and fair" deals, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Hate that hollow feeling in my stomach though.

Lacy I'm really indifferent to.  Dedicated professionals make a few changes in their lives to keep their jobs.  Positive changes do not include eating more pie.   

Wish we could have kept Jones - but there also was never a point during this season that I thought to myself "boy, we REALLY need to sign THAT guy."  We reached the NFC Championship game*  "with" Jones...not "because of" Jones.

(*another NFC Championship game for those decrying our postseason success)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:05:33 PM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
Brutal. That's just embarrassing for a team that prides itself on draft and develop.

No... If you're going to leave out all the facts to push an agenda, that's what's brutal.

It's convenient to leave out Lane Taylor, the injury to Franklin and the comp picks for 2018.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
That's a deal I think would have been worth matching for GB but I guess they've seen enough to feel comfortable about what he could/would bring to the table.

Think he's a guy that can still develop into a pretty decent player - perhaps moving to a different scheme will be a benefit to his career.  ...

I wonder if Packers didn't match? or if Jones was just happy to go somewhere and feel wanted and fit better?  Vikings have a REALLY dynamic defense.  It might be much more exciting to join a terrific defense, where they want you and see you having a great fit, versus being a secondary member of a terrible defense where you don't really fit any role super well?   

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
 Let's face it, Datone Jones was a bust. He really never did a lot for the defense, except get dumb penalties at the worst time. He also didn't fit the 3/4 at all. He's more of a 4/3 DE, which is what he's going to be in Minny.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »

But the Packers DID draft and develop this draft class, which was a very large class (BTW).

1   26   Datone Jones, DE, UCLA (Leaves UFA)
2   55   a-Traded to 49ers
2   61   Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama (a-From 49ers) (Leaves UFA)
3   88   b-Traded to 49ers
3   93   c-Traded to Dolphins, from 49ers
4   109   David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado (c-From Dolphins) (All-Pro player)
4   122   J.C. Tretter, OT, Cornell (Leaves UFA)
4   125   Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA (d - Acquired from Broncos) (Career ends with injury)
5   146   d -Traded to Broncos, from Dolphins
5   159   Micah Hyde, FS, Iowa (Leaves UFA)
5   167   Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi St. (compensatory) (Leaves due to injury)
6   173   d-Traded to Broncos, from 49ers
6   193   Nate Palmer, OLB, Illinois St.(released)
7   216   Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley St. (b-From 49ers) (claimed from practice squad)
7   224   Kevin Dorsey, WR, Maryland (c-From Dolphins) (released)
7   232   Sam Barrington, OLB, South Florida (released/but had been starter before being injured)

You can't extend everybody's contract. It would have been stupid for GB to sign all of Lacy, Tretter, Hyde, and Jones on top of extending Perry and bringing in Bennett, Kendricks, and House.
Interesting side note............the only two players who didn't make the 53 man roster out of an 11 player draft were Charles Johnson, and Kevin Dorsey (but both were signed to the PS).

Obviously, either Ted believes that they no longer fit in GB's plans (Jones), or they weren't worth the money they got in FA (Lacy, Tretter, Hyde)

It's the business side of the NFL. I can deal with it.

Free agency is only in Week 2 and GB is sitting on a pile of money. There will be more moves to come.

That is actually a really good draft. 5 years later, Tretter, Lacy, Bak and probably Hyde are going to be NFL starters. Jones and Johnson are going to still be in the NFL playing a role. It is too bad they aren't playing for GB.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
I wanted him back, but knowing we're going to get an edge player in the draft do not feel this is a major blow. Still have Perry, Matthews, Elliott, and Fackrell. I also think this Gilbert kid who was on our practice squad can play  a little bit too.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Wonder who its structured?

hysterical

Thanks!!  Missed that.

Welcome back!!  Its nice to see you posting again after you disappeared for months after the Packers struggles.   thumbsup)  Anytime you want to spend time spell checking my posts, have at it!!!  I'm just a  dumb soldier so I need all the help I can get!  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:47:43 PM by SSG »

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
Let's face it, Datone Jones was a bust. He really never did a lot for the defense, except get dumb penalties at the worst time. He also didn't fit the 3/4 at all. He's more of a 4/3 DE, which is what he's going to be in Minny.

While he was a bust, he was depth.  Losing him and Peppers without replacing either of them is going to hurt our edge.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:30:20 PM by SSG »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
I wanted him back, but knowing we're going to get an edge player in the draft do not feel this is a major blow. Still have Perry, Matthews, Elliott, and Fackrell. I also think this Gilbert kid who was on our practice squad can play  a little bit too.

Might be a little early to claim Gilbert for Jones as a "push".

But if Gilbert makes a step forward, I could see that as a reasonable assumption.

SIGN BARWIN!!!!! NOW!!!!

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
I don't understand how Ted can justify spending 10 million on a declining, 36 year old pass rusher and not spend 4 million on an edge player who at the very least can set the edge and slide inside on passing downs. 

I am happy for Jones.  He finally gets to play his natural position as a 4-3 end. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
Jones belongs in a 4-3... I think it's a good move for him. I'm just sick of these guys always going within the division.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 06:58:04 PM »
I am not upset about this one at all.  Typically after three years with DL you know what you got or what you don't have!  He was PATHETIC last year!  The good news is if he plays decent for Minn and plays all year, he will go into the calculation for comp picks for next year and we might see multiple high picks if Lacey, Hyde, peppers and Jones perform decent.

Jones looked quite foolish last year against several team, namely the AFC opponents!  He mailed his performance in in several games last year!