September 25, 2017, 07:18:10 PM

Author Topic: RB Options  (Read 11294 times)

Offline MTPackerFan

• Second String
RB Options
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
Bouagnon is a big runningback from Northern Illinois. Weighed in at 6'1 230.

Sounded like he had a pretty good pro day as well as his teammate Kennath Golladay, and we were there to see both, and I believe we have interest in both. Golladay is a big WR, which we know Ted likes.

Back to Bouagnon though. Green Bay took him out to dinner after the pro-day, pretty good sign that we have some real interest there. Wouldn't be shocked to see him as a late round pick, or UDFA.

40: 4.61
Short shuttle: 4.31
3-cone: 6.90
Vert: 34"
Broad: 10'2"

Bouagnon has ran for 2900 yards over his career, with a 4.9 ypc average. Little lower on the YPC spectrum than I'd like to see, but I haven't really seen how well his line or competition was. Bouagnon is the type of big back that Ted likes though, good size with a good 3-cone, those are things Ted likes.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Re: RB Options
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »
Here are some thoughts on potential running backs

Cook & Fournett- long gone

Mc Caffery- He's a good football player but he's a bigger Cobb or a smaller Montgomery

Kamara- he could be ok

Mix0n- wouldn't touch him because of off field issues

Foreman- Had major ball security issues with 7 fumbles.  If it is one thing Mc Carthy hates more than turnovers it is seeing his QB hit- and Foreman is a poor blocker.

Pernie-a banger

Hunt-he's o.k but at 215 pounds he is not what Packers traditionally use
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:56:22 PM by Leader »

Offline MTPackerFan

• Second String
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:30:57 PM »
McCaffery is the best one available to us, but we have bigger needs at where he'll be drafted tbh.

If we can get Kamara in the 2nd or 3rd, sure, otherwise no.

Mixon is the best talent. Highly doubt we draft him.

Foreman is a no-no. For a power back, I don't think he gets much YAC.

I like Semaje Perine.

I also like Hunt. He's a bigger back than we usually get, but he also is great at catching, good at pass blocking, and fumbled one time in his entire career. Once! He's one of my favorite, but only in the 4th or 5th round.

This is a pretty decent draft for backs, but very few are traditional TT backs. It's why I'd rather use up our 5th round pick and get Mike Gillislee.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »
I have Golladay in one of my mocks. Nice player. Long strider. Not quick, but might have better sneaky long speed than people think. One thing's for sure, he can make the tough catch, and in traffic.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Aaron Jones/UTEP.
Late round value pick.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
After the top couple guys, I'm not in love with this RB class.  I don't think we can afford to spend a first on a RB given the gaping holes we have at both CB and at OLB.  I'd LOVE Mixon in the 3rd (or even in the second).  Right now, I'd like to see Green Bay bring in a veteran RB.  We can't afford to go into the draft with a half dozen holes expecting to fill all of them with rookies and undrafted kids.  We've lost a substantial amount of talent thus far this offseason and have added very little.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
As I suspected and what happens in every draft, RB's start to drop.  Some of the mocks are dropping Fournette and Cook is down in the 20's.  We shall see.  Some other options are Joe Williams from Utah, great all around, Donta Foreman from Texas is a big bruiser, take a look at James Conner from Pitt, career avg of 5.6 yds/carry, lots of TDS, Donnell Pumphrey from SD State, on the smallish side, but boy can he run.  Not a blocker, strictly a runner.  Decent class of RB's.

Don't be surprised if the Packers move up to get Cook!  He's been interviewed by the Packers on multiple occasions!!

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:15 PM »
Given Ted's suddenly 'aggressive' approach to free agency I'll throw out another name. How about Mixon in round 3?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I live in Texas and Foreman isn't the answer to any question unless it's the 6-7th round. I hate to say it, but mixon is the guy. Can TT pull that trigger?
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »
I live in Texas and Foreman isn't the answer to any question unless it's the 6-7th round. I hate to say it, but mixon is the guy. Can TT pull that trigger?

As cautious as Ted is, if they should happen to pick this kid...............you can bet they have made an exhaustive examination of every aspect of this kids life (family, school, community, football, etc.).

It won't be a cavalier/reckless move.

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:06 PM »
 If TT wants a replacement for Lacy, it's Samaje Perine. He's big, strong, and not overweight. He probably can be had in the forth round.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »
Two good all around backs are Kamara and Williams. 

Pumphrey is a good third downer. 

IMO, I think we should sign a back and draft another.

Offline dbishop

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

Thoughts on Clement in the 5th or 6th?

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
From Rotoworld:

Christian McCaffrey | Running Back
Team: Stanford Cardinal
Ht / Wt: 6'0' / 202

An anonymous NFL scout speaking to Packers' beat writer Bob McGinn assured him that Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey is a far superior prospect to Ty Montgomery. "This guy is a better runner than Montgomery, a better catcher, hes more explosive, more agile and hes probably faster," said the scout. "Montgomery is more of a straight-line guy." McCaffery, of course, was once Montgomery's teammate at Stanford. "Hes a jack-of-all-trades guy," another scout said. "He can be your returner and give you 15 snaps a game (at RB). Once he tests and runs 4.38 (he ran 4.49) guys will fall in love with his personality and his genetics." Mar 14 - 12:31 PM

Fox Sports' Joel Klatt ranks Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey as the No. 7 overall prospect in the 2017 class.
"The most NFL ready offensive player in the draft, McCaffrey is a great running back but also has the ability to be used as a wide receiver and kick returner," Klatt writes. "Expect him to get 18-25 touches per game." We hear what Klatt is saying about McCaffrey, as Stanford's offense certainly prepares a running back for an NFL style and workload. However, many still question McCaffrey's ability to handle a full workload due to standing 5-foot-11 and 205-pounds. McCaffrey produced highlight runs along with difficult yards between the tackles thanks to vision and patience. Leonard Fournette is Klatt's No. 2 running back at No. 9 overall. Mar 14 - 10:47 AM

Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey tested in the 70th percentile at the NFL Combine.
McCaffrey's best scores were the forty (4.48), broad jump (10'1") and a stunning 3-cone (6.57 seconds). At 202 pounds, this composite score placed McCaffrey fourth among running backs who went through a full workout. Many still question if McCaffrey can "hold up between the tackle," despite the Cardinal shining in that area while at Stanford. He's also a dynamic player when matched up one on one against a linebacker in space. Mar 8 - 9:55 AM

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
I won't be upset with McCaffrey in the 1st, but Joe Williams in the 3rd would be a good RB to pair with Monty (IMO).