September 26, 2017, 07:58:27 AM

Author Topic: RB Options  (Read 11301 times)

Online Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: RB Options
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »
I know McCafferyis the cat's meow...but he is still a slashing/darting style of runner. Maybe it's me and I'm trying to figure out who's he like and can't get a good comparison except for Reggie Bush (who I always considered way over drafted).
I will make one comparison and it will probably upset a few people....Fournett from LSU may be just like the QB that the Raiders drafted #1 JaMarcus Russell. The reason I say this is he sat out a bowl game so he could get himself ready for the draft. He appeared to come into the Combine heavy and showed no burst that his film suggest. If he can't get motivated for the draft, it makes me wonder what would motivate him. If he was getting over a surgery, then ignore what I just wrote.
Sorry, had to vent.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
You have to love his measureables, but can he catch and block?
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-preview-brian-hill-wyoming-running-back-interview/1j2td72ubf1hu10xhp20gunmij

Note his answer to the question of how he is different than other underclassmen.  He get's points for recognizing the importance of keeping his QB upright and apparently he is a decent blocker.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2017-preview-brian-hill-wyoming-running-back-interview/1j2td72ubf1hu10xhp20gunmij

Note his answer to the question of how he is different than other underclassmen.  He get's points for recognizing the importance of keeping his QB upright and apparently he is a decent blocker.

What was his 40 time?

Offline OnaBadger58

• Second String
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
I know McCafferyis the cat's meow...but he is still a slashing/darting style of runner. Maybe it's me and I'm trying to figure out who's he like and can't get a good comparison except for Reggie Bush (who I always considered way over drafted).
I will make one comparison and it will probably upset a few people....Fournett from LSU may be just like the QB that the Raiders drafted #1 JaMarcus Russell. The reason I say this is he sat out a bowl game so he could get himself ready for the draft. He appeared to come into the Combine heavy and showed no burst that his film suggest. If he can't get motivated for the draft, it makes me wonder what would motivate him. If he was getting over a surgery, then ignore what I just wrote.
Sorry, had to vent.

He offers more than Reggie Bush imo.  Call me crazy, but McCaffrey looks like Le'veon Bell. His patience is remarkable, feet are always moving, deceptively quick, can fight for extra yards, very good receiver. I'd take him before Fournette and Cook.

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
I think this has been linked elsewhere, but Justis Mosqueda has done some pretty good in-depth analysis on past Thompson draft picks in an attempt to use that data to possibly predict who the Packers like in this draft.

RB analysis:  http://settingedge.com/montyhive

Basically, the Packers tend to target hyper-athletic pass-catching backs (with the exceptions of Lacy & DeShawn Wynn for reasons he explains) in 2007.  Brandon Jackson, Alex Green, Johnathan Franklin and James Starks were drafted at RB, while Montgomery was converted and the team acquired Knile Davis and Christine Michael.  Those 7 players listed (the non "big backs") are all within an eighth of an inch of 5'10, at least 205lbs, ran a 4.55 40 yard (or better), and a 7 second 3 cone drill.  Of the 103 RB's drafted since 2007 in the first 4 rounds, 21 of them passed those athletic thresholds and 5 of them were Michael, Jackson, Davis, Green and Franklin (here's where you could object that none of those guys amounted to anything, which is fair). 

Lacy & Wynn were drafted likely for a couple of reasons.  First, they fit the body type of Deuce McCallister, who McCarthy coached in NO.  But probably more importantly, they presented value in terms of where they fell to in comparison where most "experts" had them slotted.

Interesting to note that while the data on some of the RB's in this draft class is incomplete, the only RB to fit the athletic thresholds is Joe Mixon.  McCaffrey just misses the weight cut off by two pounds, so he could be a round one target for Green Bay.  Otherwise, Joe Mixon would be an outstanding value in round 3 (or even round 2) *if* they are willing to deal with the fallout.  With Thompson placing so much emphasis on the makeup of the lockerroom, I just don't know if they will take a risk on him since he could alienate a good portion of the the roster.  Thompson seems to care much more about how a guy fits withing the lockerroom than he does about outside opinions.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:55 AM »
Those type of backs (bigger backs) tend to do better with an offensive line that is built to line up and punch a defense in the nose. As we saw, the vast majority of the time when we tried to run Lacy wide it was a disaster. He's a between the tackles north and south guy. Fornette would be a bad fit for us. Cook and McCaffrey are good fits. I do not want a RB in round 1 however.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
I must be in the minority.  I don't care if Ted takes Lamp or a RB in the first - if they are the BPA when we are on the clock.  But the draft can be screwy.  Often a couple of teams early on will take a player nobody saw as a first rounder so good players do slide down the line and a player of need for us drops like Ha Ha did. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »
Unless we move up, I dont see us having a shot at McCaffrey - but Mixon's a possibility and they should nab him IMO. Let the love of a few Lambeau Leaps chill his soul down!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
Two things:

1.) Mixon is a bonafide 1st round talent. Only question is do you dare take him there given all the negative publicity that comes with it? My take? He made a bad mistake when he was barely 18 yrs old. It happened 3 years ago. He has done everything asked of him since then to correct/prevent any such types of future behavior. Yet he's still being crucified in the court of public opinion. How many people would about the incident if it had not been dumped on the internet this last year? And why did it take so long to appear to the public? The timing doesn't smell right to me.
I'd have no problem taking this kid in the 1st round as long as the due diligence doesn't uncover something that makes you question his integrity at this point.

2.) all things being equal when it comes to drafting BPA. I do know that most teams use a player rating scale that is similar to what the NFL does at its website.
So let's say that Ted has Lamp rated 6.4, and TJWatt rated 6.3, and Quincy Wilson rated 6.2. Do I think Ted is going to take the OG because he's rated 1/100th of a point better than Watt? And 2/100th's point better than Wilson? And especially knowing he's had success drafting OL in the 4th-5th rounds??
To me, Lamp would have to be clearly so superior a prospect to the other candidates that you just couldn't pass on him.
Could that be a possibility? Yes! Do any of us know how Ted and his staff are rating all these players? No.
Just have to wait to find out!

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
I think this has been linked elsewhere, but Justis Mosqueda has done some pretty good in-depth analysis ...

Basically, the Packers tend to target hyper-athletic pass-catching backs (with the exceptions of Lacy & DeShawn Wynn for reasons he explains) ...
Lacy & Wynn were drafted likely for a couple of reasons.  ..... probably more importantly, they presented value in terms of where they fell to in comparison where most "experts" had them slotted.

Interesting to note that while the data on some of the RB's in this draft class is incomplete, the only RB to fit the athletic thresholds is Joe Mixon.  ....

If nobody but Mixon fits the thresholds, more likely taking somebody that presents value with a 3rd-day pick.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »

What was his 40 time?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/brian-hill?id=2558112

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
Just saw this.................

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-insider-inbox/article-1/Who-will-be-the-next-player-to-emerge/f6878fe4-4cc9-4002-a277-eadef7b140eb

Montgomery gives the Packers a good starting point in the backfield. He proved last season he can do everything a traditional running back does – stretch outside, run between the tackles, catch the ball out of the backfield, and I felt he was better than expected in pass protection for a guy who never really had done it before. He’ll only get better with a full offseason at the position. The Packers obviously need to add to the position with the departures of Eddie Lacy and James Starks. There’s still time. The draft is quickly approaching and free agency isn’t over. We can figure out RB1, RB2 and so forth once training camp rolls around.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »
Just and FYI to folks about Joe Mixon.

He very well could end up in the NFC North.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793066/article/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-connecting-players-nfc-north-teams

Prospects associated with the Lions:
Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma: Mixon meets with Lions

Prospects associated with the Vikings:
Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma: Vikings GM, head coach attend pro day

Offline maxman44

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member