September 25, 2017, 07:18:44 PM

Author Topic: RB Options  (Read 11295 times)

Online Twain

• HOF Member
Re: RB Options
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »
Would the Packers dare consider converting another WR into another RB??

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/antwan-goodley?id=2552406

I wondered about that when he was signed.  He has good speed, and ran some from the tailback position in college.

I don't hold high hopes, but he is worth a look back there.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:52:14 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2017, 03:14:55 PM »

No. Draft an actual RB. Enough of the nickel and diming garbage.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »
Here ya go Danno. I think you'd mentioned this guy.....
Not as big as some....but he's got some get up and go to him and catches the ball real smooth.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1nJwvqEJIY

RB -Alvin Kamara

5'10" - Height
32 3/4" - Arm Length
214LBS. - Weight

Overview

One of the top high school running backs in the country as a high school senior, Kamara went to Alabama to be the next big thing. A preseason knee injury forced him to redshirt, however. He was also suspended for the Sugar Bowl and not on the sideline for the team's game against LSU for "behavioral reasons." Kamara left Alabama in January, but found trouble again a month later in his hometown (Norcross, GA) with a traffic arrest. He suited up for Hutchinson Community College in 2014, winning conference offensive player of the year (1,211 yards, 21 TD). Given a second chance in the SEC by Tennessee, Kamara averaged 6.5 yards per carry as a reserve in 2015 (107-698, 7 TD; 34-291, TD receiving). He was impressive again as a junior, running for 596 yards and nine scores on only 103 carries (40-392, 4 TD receiving), though he missed time with a sprained left knee (LCL, meniscus).

Strengths:
Spirited runner with NFL size and speed. Will open creases by varying pace of his runs. Burst to top speed is available at flip of a switch. Creates yardage with speed, wiggle and power. Twitchy and decisive. Strong lower body provides superior balance. Flexible and agile with ability to twist, spin and ricochet off of bodies and continue to gain yards after contact. Very productive; 23 touchdowns in just 284 touches at Tennessee. Well-liked inside program and a team leader. Can play on all three downs. Improved in pass protection and squares up blitzers. Has lined up at slot receiver at times. Sure-handed pass catcher with excellent burst out of breaks to consistently uncover. Has talent as punt returner.

Weaknesses:
Vision can be hit or miss. Not an instinctive runner. Needs to see running lane develop and is missing a feel for reading progressions of his blocks. Makes inconsistent decisions on stretch plays. Can be his own worst enemy on third level. Will run himself into a tackler rather than setting him up for a downfield blocker. Consistently cuts left when given an open-field choice against tackler. With knee injuries in his background, combine medicals could come into play. Needs to tuck ball high and tight to prevent fumbles.

Draft Projection: Round 2
NFL Comparison: Thomas Jones

Bottom Line:
Ascending, competitive runner who has flashed explosive NFL talent at various times over the last two seasons. A committed runner with excellent balance who finds yardage that isn't blocked for him. While he has never logged 20 carries in a single game, he has the talent to play on all three downs if he can prove his durability.

Offline Still Cheesy

• Second String
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2017, 12:22:04 AM »
It will be interesting to see where the backs go after the top 5 guys. Maybe this year's crop is better and thus won't mesh with the usual rules, but generally unless there is one standout trait, "the field" at running back comes off the board in the fourth and fifth rounds. I could see Foreman going in round three to some team enamored with the size-speed combo similar to Drake going in the third last year, but it wouldn't shock me if the Packers want to go running back in round three if they'll have their pick of Perine, Hunt, Hill, McNichols, Mack, Gallman or whomever else they like.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
Beginning to think Jamaal Charles could be a real option depending on how the draft plays out.  Im not holding my breath on his health though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:50:23 AM by The GM »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
Beginning to think Jamaal Charles could be a real option depending on how the draft plays out.  Im not holding my breath on his health though.

And I'm beginning to think we've got a right brain / left brain thing going on here.
I think something - and you post the thought a short while later  :)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »

I wondered about that when he was signed.  He has good speed, and ran some from the tailback position in college.

I don't hold high hopes, but he is worth a look back there.

When Goodley came into the NFL, to me he was Monty before Monty became a RB. This kid played tailback in some games for the Bears when their regular backs were out. Now he's been in the league for what 2 years and hasn't caught on. I see him first as a special team returner and that slot guy that can be a RB as well. Like I said, he was Monty at Baylor before Monty made the switch. He could surprise and land a spot on the Packers. A very dangerous guy with the ball in his hand.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2017, 05:12:23 AM »
Bouagnon is a big runningback from Northern Illinois. Weighed in at 6'1 230.

Sounded like he had a pretty good pro day as well as his teammate Kennath Golladay, and we were there to see both, and I believe we have interest in both. Golladay is a big WR, which we know Ted likes.

Back to Bouagnon though. Green Bay took him out to dinner after the pro-day, pretty good sign that we have some real interest there. Wouldn't be shocked to see him as a late round pick, or UDFA.

40: 4.61
Short shuttle: 4.31
3-cone: 6.90
Vert: 34"
Broad: 10'2"

Bouagnon has ran for 2900 yards over his career, with a 4.9 ypc average. Little lower on the YPC spectrum than I'd like to see, but I haven't really seen how well his line or competition was. Bouagnon is the type of big back that Ted likes though, good size with a good 3-cone, those are things Ted likes.

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing. It adds up on all counts. Packers are looking for a thumper to replace Eddie. Packers love low cost RBs. And they love a 3-cone under 7 seconds. For a big guy to post that number, I can see why they'd be intrigued.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
Aaron Jones/UTEP.
Late round value pick.
Going back and looking at these draft treads a few monthes after the draft is kind of interesting. Some people did a fair job projecting. Nice early on pick here dannobanano.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:15 PM »
Here are some we should mention who we can get with a relatively low pick:

Aaron Jones UTEP
Tarik Cohen North Carolina A and T
Kareem Hunt Toledo
Donnel Pumphrey SDSU
Matt Dayes North Carolina St

With Michel back, that helps because he can run up the middle with speed and power.
That was a solid group of 5 for late round projections, all 5 drafted.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
I've been warming up to RB Jamaal Williams.

Cheesehead TV gives a quite flattering scouting of him. One thing fans often underestimate is the importance of a RB being able to pass protect, you can bet head coaches don't underestimate it, though. Jamaal was often used  in pass pro and does a decent job there. He is a powerful guy with elite vision, who is surprisingly fast when he has a step or two to get going. He isn't a great short yardage guy (you can work around that), but his injury history will need a look. He looks like a fine bargain to me in round 5, and still a solid pick in round 4.
2 weeks out and 1265 found a nice acorn, good call there.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2017, 10:04:45 AM »
Aaron Jones/UTEP.
Late round value pick.
Going back and looking at these draft treads a few monthes after the draft is kind of interesting. Some people did a fair job projecting. Nice early on pick here dannobanano.

Appreciate the Shout Out RT!

8)