November 19, 2017, 08:11:12 AM

Author Topic: Charles?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
Charles?
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »
Lacy to Seattle.  Charles to GB?

Just now on NFLN, @RapSheet said the Packers are a possible landing spot for Jamaal Charles.

I must say, it would be a great fit if he were healthy. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: Charles?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »
Lacy to Seattle.  Charles to GB?

Just now on NFLN, @RapSheet said the Packers are a possible landing spot for Jamaal Charles.

I must say, it would be a great fit if he were healthy. 

Is he?
What'd he do year? He have another knee injury?

maxman44

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
If the number is right I'm game

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
It is all about health with him at this point.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:18 PM »
I would love to have him if he was healthy.... oh, the screens... the screens! I say!

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
At the right price, I'm all for bringing him in. But I don't want to guarantee him big money... and I suspect Ted does not either.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »
I don't care about the number.  We have a plethora of cap space.  If he's healthy, he'd be a huge help.  We can't afford to go into the draft with more than a half dozen gaping holes and expect to fill all of them with just rookies and undrafted kids.  By signing a veteran starting RB it fills one of those holes and we aren't going to need a rookie to come in immediately as a difference maker.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Just to be contrarian - I hope he is deemed completely unhealthy (and not just knee wise - I'm talking crazy parasites passed on by nearly extinct Amazonian frogs sick) and he comes with an exhorbitant price tag (I'm talking Bob Barker punch you in the face "The price is wrong b@&"h!" type of contract.)

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:09:53 PM »
After looking up his injury history of two ACL tears and then a meniscus last year, at 30 years old, I am skeptical about the health part.  A lot of mileage on those wheels.   Hard to believe he still has the burst of previous years.

I would almost rather that Ted do like he did with Lacy- draft a running back that can come in and end up offensive rookie of the year.

RB is a spot where rookies can come in and have impact right away.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:10:40 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:18:01 PM »
Hard to believe he still has the burst of previous years.

Thats the barometer. He was never a pounder. He was a slight / speed streak / slash and gone guy. He was something special. He WAS KC's offense. He'll never be a slower/pounder type. Wrong body type.

If that burst is there - and I've no clue if knee injuries necessarily take that away - and he's got knee strength back - sign him up.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:20:02 PM by Leader »

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
After looking up his injury history of two ACL tears and then a meniscus last year, at 30 years old, I am skeptical about the health part.  A lot of mileage on those wheels.   Hard to believe he still has the burst of previous years.

I would almost rather that Ted do like he did with Lacy- draft a running back that can come in and end up offensive rookie of the year.

RB is a spot where rookies can come in and have impact right away.

He's got the questionable injury history, but he actually doesn't have a ton of miles given his age.  He's got about 500 fewer touches than Le'Veon Bell (less than 2 seasons less) who's only 25.  Guys like Shady McCoy, AD, Beast Mode, Forte and Foster have or had a bunch more touches. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »
I'm just not sure you can count on getting anywhere near the guy you people remember with KC. The number of leg injuries he's had are bound to slow a guy, especially one over 30.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »
I'm just not sure you can count on getting anywhere near the guy you people remember with KC. The number of leg injuries he's had are bound to slow a guy, especially one over 30.

I wonder if that's necessarily the right question, though?

Maybe a different way to frame the questions would be,
*Might he be better than Don Jackson?
*Might he be enough better than Don Jackson that it would be worth the cost?

I have no idea. 

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »

I wonder if that's necessarily the right question, though?

Maybe a different way to frame the questions would be,
*Might he be better than Don Jackson?
*Might he be enough better than Don Jackson that it would be worth the cost?

I have no idea.

I think we're prepared to make Montgomery the Bell Cow. I also think we get one in the draft and Ripkowski may take over Kuhn's third down responsibilities because of his blocking. If I'm right (I know big stretch), what role would Charles play for us?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
I think we should view free agency with the view of not needing to draft a RB before round 5. 

Don't decline a potential good guard, ILB, or OLB in order to take a running back because you desperately need one. 

If you're fine with Monty and a 5th rounder, fine. 

If you aren't, pick up a FA so that you aren't afraid of that.

I'll