November 20, 2017, 03:12:17 AM

Author Topic: Jared Cook  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Jared Cook
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
Would MUCH prefer OAK as his destination...and I could wish him well and not have to play him twice a year....

From Rotoworld:
Free agent Jared Cook is expected to meet with the Raiders.That's assuming he escapes Minnesota without a contract. Oakland would be a better landing spot both from a fantasy and "real life" perspective. There aren't any Kyle Rudolph-sized roadblocks with the Silver and Black, and the quarterback play is infinitely better. 

maxman44

Re: Jared Cook
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 04:22:04 PM »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
Cook signed for 12M+ over two years. The first year guaranteed (if I read the TV crawl line correctly)

Question -

From a talent perspective - if TT had offered that to Cook and he'd have accepted it - DONE - would you have preferred that?

To have Cook over Bennett?

Dont compare the different contract values. Just interested in your take from a player/talent perspective.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Cook signed for 12M+ over two years. The first year guaranteed (if I read the TV crawl line correctly)

Question -

From a talent perspective - if TT had offered that to Cook and he'd have accepted it - DONE - would you have preferred that?

Dont compare the different contract values. Just interested in your take from a player/talent perspective.

Wow, that is a tough one.

I feel that Bennett is a better blocker, but Cook may be more of a threat when lined up as a wide receiver.  I like Bennett's toughness and durability.  Seems like Cook is a bit more of a deep threat.

I guess I have to go with Bennett because of the blocking ability along with similar productivity to Cook.   Also, Bennett was my first choice last year, but there was no way the Bears would have traded him to us.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

Question -

I feel that Bennett is a better blocker, but Cook may be more of a threat when lined up as a wide receiver.  I like Bennett's toughness and durability.  Seems like Cook is a bit more of a deep threat.

I guess I have to go with Bennett because of the blocking ability along with similar productivity to Cook.   Also, Bennett was my first choice last year, but there was no way the Bears would have traded him to us.

My take?
I'd have been fine if that scenario had played out and Cook had re-upped for two years - but - I'm better with Bennett :)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »

Question -

Since Bennett is the better blocker, defenses can't sit back and anticipate a pass (only) like they could with Cook.

With Bennett on the field you have to respect that the play could be a run just as much as it could be a pass.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »
Kind of puzzling to me.

First of all, who is our running threat anyway?  I mean if we had a healthy Lacy then yep, that makes sense.  But we don't.

Second, true that Bennett is a better blocker but Cook can split the seam and catch the ball in his back pocket.  In this year's draft there are about three guys who are really good blockers and can catch also.  An indication of how good Cook can be as a receiver is the fact that Derek Carr was allegedly burning up cell phone minutes trying to get Cook to sign with them.  And man, is he going  to help that guy with those two WR they have already.

So we are paying more money at the position that we really needed to.  But at this point, with Barwin gone, there is not a lot of good stuff out there anyway.   Think TT will do a trade for an OLB? Or maybe he plans on using the money to reup his own.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:46:42 PM by Gregg »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I've had my say on the matter in other threads so won't go into detail.  I like Bennett as a more complete TE - blocking and receiving.  IMO the difference in their blocking abilities is much greater than any difference there may be in receiving.

Fun blurb from his NFL draft profile: "There are probably few college tight ends in recent history who have averaged four catches (49 for 587 yards and four touchdowns) and more than five knockdown blocks (67) per game"

**I definitely like it more when viewing as Cook vs Bennett and a 2018 comp pick (probably a 5th? crosses fingers for 4thx)

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »
Kind of puzzling to me.

First of all, who is our running threat anyway?  I mean if we had a healthy Lacy then yep, that makes sense.  But we don't.

Second, true that Bennett is a better blocker but Cook can split the seam and catch the ball in his back pocket.  In this year's draft there are about three guys who are really good blockers and can catch also.  An indication of how good Cook can be as a receiver is the fact that Derek Carr was allegedly burning up cell phone minutes trying to get Cook to sign with them.  And man, is he going  to help that guy with those two WR they have already.

So we are paying more money at the position that we really needed to.  But at this point, with Barwin gone, there is not a lot of good stuff out there anyway.   Think TT will do a trade for an OLB? Or maybe he plans on using the money to reup his own.

Our running threat will come from this upcoming draft.  RB is one of the few positions where a rookie can come in and contribute right away.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 12:44:09 AM »

Question -

Since Bennett is the better blocker, defenses can't sit back and anticipate a pass (only) like they could with Cook.

With Bennett on the field you have to respect that the play could be a run just as much as it could be a pass.

clap)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
You know, with all the guys we have lost--Cook, Lang, Peppers, Lacy, Tretter, Hyde--its almost like TT is playing for next year's draft.  Since right now it looks like he will have 11 picks.

But as far as now and looking at what is left in FA, the one guy who might be of interest to us in Hankin, the big DT.

If Guion is gone, he might be a nice pick up.  God knows, with all these guys gone, we have the money.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
If Guion is gone, he might be a nice pick up.  God knows, with all these guys gone, we have the money.

Well, not as much money as you're thinking. The team still owes me for the two times I hauled up to Lambeau last year to fill in roster holes.
Thats round trip plan fare plus two weekends at the local EconoLodge   :)

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »
You know, with all the guys we have lost--Cook, Lang, Peppers, Lacy, Tretter, Hyde--its almost like TT is playing for next year's draft.  Since right now it looks like he will have 11 picks.

But as far as now and looking at what is left in FA, the one guy who might be of interest to us in Hankin, the big DT.

I felt this way too. I mean I don't think he is packing in for this season. That being said, next year looks like it could be the perfect "retool" draft. That is if you hit on the picks of course.

As for Cook. I liked him a lot. I am happy with Bennett, and think Cook might need a new agent. I'm glad Cookie is landing in a great spot. He will do wonders for a young Carr. I like that kid a lot.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »

Right now they have no threat running the ball. As long s that is the case, they will still disrespect the running game as they have in the past.  TT is foolish in not getting a veteran RB.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »

Right now they have no threat running the ball. As long s that is the case, they will still disrespect the running game as they have in the past.  TT is foolish in not getting a veteran RB.

Key two words.

Does anyone expect that to remain that way all the way into this next season?

I certainly don't, but maybe I'm wrong and Ted will convert Hundley to RB!? He showed he could run the rock in college and he's a threat to throw the half-back option!   sarcasm

Yeah. That's right.  >:D