September 24, 2017, 11:30:26 PM

Author Topic: Pick #33 - from Browns - Kevin King, CB, Washington  (Read 1689 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Pick #33 - from Browns - Kevin King, CB, Washington
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:48 PM »

Kevin King, CB, Washington
Height: 6-3. Weight: 200. Arm: 32.
40 Time: 4.43.
Projected Round (2017): 1-2.

4/26/17: King was part of a good tandem of Huskies cornerbacks with Sidney Jones. In 2016, King recorded 44 tackles with 13 passes broken up and two interceptions. The senior has the length and size to match up against big wideouts. He also had quality production as a junior with 39 tackles, five passes broken up and three interceptions. King notched 65 tackles as a sophomore. Sources from multiple teams thought that King made himself a potential late first-round pick after his tremendous combine performance. He was very fast and worked out well in the field.

WalterFootball.com
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:47:31 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
Re: Pick #33 - from Browns - Kevin King, CB, Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
Link to NFL.com profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/kevin-king?id=2557996

I still like it... If he doesn't always play fast, it's not a physical thing.

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
Question.

What do we get out of King that we didn't have in House and Gunter?  If you watch the film he's certainly not moving around like the 4.4 40 would indicate.  He's not overly physical.  Only 2 INT's last year. 

I've seen people compare him to Sherman.  Please don't - because that comp is simply wrong.  Sherman is more physical, faster to diagnose plays, and is substantially faster in and out of his breaks. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline IBV

• Second String
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
I hope the young man has as successful a Packer career as fellow Husky Mark Lee did !

Online Striker

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
Question.

What do we get out of King that we didn't have in House and Gunter?  If you watch the film he's certainly not moving around like the 4.4 40 would indicate.  He's not overly physical.  Only 2 INT's last year. 

I've seen people compare him to Sherman.  Please don't - because that comp is simply wrong.  Sherman is more physical, faster to diagnose plays, and is substantially faster in and out of his breaks.

Out of college, the comparisons are similar. Tall, questions on speed and stiffness.

We'll see what they can coach out of him.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 06:51:59 PM »
Question.

Gunter is a CB with MLB speed. Actually, if he was moved to ILB, he'd be the slowest ILB on the Packers roster... I see him replacing Gunter.

House is on a one year contract.

King may have had 2 INTs last year, but he's very good at making plays on the ball, that's a strength of his.

I don't see how Sherman is substantially faster in and out of breaks. King's incredible sub 4.0 shuttle says he's fast in and out of breaks.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
Question.

It is good depth in an important position.  Mark Chimura said today on the radio that Ron Wolf's mantra was you could never have enough cornerbacks. 

He is not Charles Woodson, but he is better than Gunter was coming out of college, and with more experience can get better.  Moreover, it gives Capers more options for mixing and matching against the opposition. 
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:42 PM »
Question.

It is good depth in an important position.  Mark Chimura said today on the radio that Ron Wolf's mantra was you could never have enough cornerbacks. 

He is not Charles Woodson, but he is better than Gunter was coming out of college, and with more experience can get better.  Moreover, it gives Capers more options for mixing and matching against the opposition.

Same could have been said about the next 10 corners that come off of the board. 

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »
Question.

Same could have been said about the next 10 corners that come off of the board.

Too funny.  You have convinced yourself he is a bust before he even plays a single down.

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
I don't hate the player as much as I hate the pick.  Trade down.  Take a back or edge rusher and still get a comparable corner at the end of the 2nd. 

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
They already traded, that was good enough.

You can dislike the pick all you like, but you have no grounds to complain about the value.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:09 PM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:29:04 PM by Toddfather »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
Worth mentioning that media guy Peter King was with the 49ers in the draft. He listened in to a conversation between Lynch and Shanahan about moving up into round one, for CB Kevin King.

This was the conversation reported on 'Total Packers'.

Lynch: “I think Kevin could possibly be a move up, based upon if we gather picks and move up into the first round and, you know, you get a guy with another fifth-year option.”

Shanahan: “Kevin is a goal if we had the 32nd pick.”

Peters: “Not in the twenties, even?”

Shanahan: “To me, if we gained a bunch of stuff then we need to debate whether to move up into the twenties. I personally … I know King’s the best, but when you talk about guys like [Colorado cornerback] Ahkello Witherspoon possibly in the third or even [West Virginia cornerback] Rasul Douglas—like, we all know King is the best. [But] not a huge difference in getting the other guys.”

Lynch: “King is a little different though.”

Shanahan: “If all we needed is one guy, it’s a huge difference. King is definitely better. We need as many guys as we can, so … I’m hoping we can get [Ohio pass-rusher Tarell] Basham also. Now it’s not life or death, I’d rather risk getting the lesser guy to have more guys.”

In the end, of course, though they did move above the Packers (who had dropped back to pick 33), they chose Reuben Foster instead of King, at pick 31. They also got Witherspoon with their 3rd rounder, but failed to get Basham, who went at #80 to the Colts.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
So, you have to wonder if SF had taken King ahead of Green Bay, what would Ted have done and/or who would he have taken at #33??

1) Would he have tried to trade back out of the #33 pick and acquire more picks? (which was suggested by several folks)

or,

2) Would GB have taken Foster (who SF took at #31), or someone like Malik McDowell (#35), Zay Jones (#37),  ......... ?? who else?

That's an interesting piece OneTwoSixFive.   thumbsup)

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
King is certainly one of our more intriguing prospects in recent memory. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him on the field.