September 24, 2017, 11:29:55 PM

Author Topic: Pick #61 - Josh Jones, S, N.C. State  (Read 1419 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
Pick #61 - Josh Jones, S, N.C. State
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »

Josh Jones, S, N.C. State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220. Arm: 32.
40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

4/26/17: Jones was a solid player for the Wolfpack during the past three seasons. He is a strong safety type for the NFL and plays with an aggressive and relentless nature. Jones ran fast times at the combine, and some safety-needy teams are considering Jones as an option on Day 2 of the 2017 NFL Draft. Team sources believe hJonese could go in the second round and won't fall out of the third.

Jones collected 109 tackles with eight passes batted and three interceptions as a junior before deciding to skip his senior year. He had 63 tackles as a sophomore and 56 stops in 2014. Jones snagged four interceptions as a redshirt freshman.

WalterFootball.com
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:40:51 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline IBV

• Second String
Re: Pick #61 - Josh Jones, S, N.C. State
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
unless this guy is the second coming of Ronnie Lott , I don't understand the pick!

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
unless this guy is the second coming of Ronnie Lott , I don't understand the pick!

Maybe he is....

Josh Jones   S/CB   North Carolina St 
TALENT
ROUND   1

STRENGTHS
Josh Jones is tackling machine. He can cover as well as any safety and better than some corners in this draft. He has excellent speed and with his long length has the ability to trail and still make plays on the receiver. He can cover those big tight ends and big slot receivers and because he is strong, will tackle them quickly allowing very little run after the catch yardage. You can use Josh in any style defense… zone or in coverage, up close to the line or in a two deep defense or even as a single free safety because of his 6’1” 220 Lbs. 4.4 speed and because he is quick to support the run, tackle and because his instincts are excellent. Josh has the hands to intercept the ball and the strong running skills to bring it back for six. He shows leadership skills through his play on the field. I consider Josh one of the top defensive backs in this draft.

CONCERNS
There is not much wrong with Josh’s overall game so nit picking just doesn’t seem logical. I would like to see him be more vocal on the field and show more direction to his teammates but once again, nit picking doesn’t seem to be logical in this case.

BOTTOM LINE
There are so many defensive backs in this draft that Josh could get lost but believe me, you turn on the film and word “lost” does not enter you thought process. What enters your thoughts is why hasn’t anyone noticed this kids game and why isn’t he being considered one of the best safeties in this draft? As of this writing I haven’t heard anyone talk about Josh and that means he could be selected in any round in this draft but no matter what round he is selected in he still has first round talent and should be considered one of the top safeties in the draft. At least that’s what I see on his film and that’s how I do all my profiles…from film. Josh reminds me a lot of a former cover safety (who was before his time) for the Buffalo Bills selected in the 1991 draft in the 1st round at pick number 26… Henry Jones. In Henry’s second year he led the league with 8 interceptions. He was listed as a strong safety but Henry might have been the first cover safety in the NFL because you don’t get 8 interceptions just being an “in the box” safety. He also was an excellent and quick tackling safety, limiting “run after the catch” yardage and that was the start of the “bend but don’t break” defenses that still (to this day) seem to always find their way into the Super Bowls. Josh is a big, fast, quick tackling defensive back who can play multiple positions at a high level for the team that selects him and that my fellow Draftnik’s, is the definition of a player who has first round talent.

Drew Boylhart  MAR.2017

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
Is this a pick in case of losing Clinton-Dix? Or a complement to an already talented group? Does he have the ability to be a hybrid corner/safety? An interesting pick. Could be another Nick Collins type of choice- no one heard of him, unheralded, and after a bit of time, he becomes a sensation. Anyway, we can always hope.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 08:45:09 PM »

Lost Hyde and Burnett is in the last year of his 2nd contract.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
Don't think anything to do with HCD.

Jones improves the football team.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
Is this a pick in case of losing Clinton-Dix? Or a complement to an already talented group?

I already touched on it, I think it's a losing Hyde and Burnett in the last year of 2nd contract thing.

Really gotta like how much bigger and faster the secondary is now compared to 3 hours ago.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 08:54:54 PM »
Is this a pick in case of losing Clinton-Dix? Or a complement to an already talented group? Does he have the ability to be a hybrid corner/safety? An interesting pick. Could be another Nick Collins type of choice- no one heard of him, unheralded, and after a bit of time, he becomes a sensation. Anyway, we can always hope.

I dont think there was much focus on S for the GBP's in this draft. If he's a PLAYER - we'll find a spot of him and he can either push someone to be better - or get off the field.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
Not a position I would have targeted in the 2nd round, but this kid is a legitimately exciting prospect. Height, weight, speed. The biggest knock on him seems to be that he hits too hard and plays out of control at times? Hell, I'd say we could use some of that.

Offline UWSP 88

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
CLEARLY, this pick was my most favorite, something about this cat says Nick Collins 2.0
I don't mean the comparison to Nick as his style of play as much as his impact to our team.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »
After listening to all the scouts, draftniks on the radio the past few weeks this is definitely the guy I'm most excited by. 

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
Big, fast, in the box...the idea that this guy can cover TEs makes him worth his weight in gold as that has been one of the consistent banes of GB's defense over the last 5 years.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »
The Packers have had some good safetys with varied skill sets. Yet,  I don't remember the Packer ever having a big, fast freak at safety.

This could be special!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Going back a few years I would be inclined to try him out at corner first. It was the perceived wisdom of the time that if a guy COULD play corner, that was always first choice for the team, Safeties were looked at as being easier to find.

These days, safeties are becoming increasingly important, so much so that it may not be as good an idea, as it once was. Nevertheless, after giving Jones the time to settle at safety, I would be tempted to do a little cross-training, for adding flexibility.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"