November 18, 2017, 05:52:13 AM

Author Topic: Pick #93 - Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn  (Read 1619 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
Pick #93 - Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »

Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
Height: 6-3. Weight: 308. Arm: 31.88. Hand: 9.25.
40 Time: 4.87.
Projected Round (2017): 2-3.

4/26/17: At the combine, Adams ran fast and looked good in the field drills. He also had an excellent Senior Bowl where he showed impressive interior pass-rushing skills. Adams was superb in the one-on-ones.

Adams would be a good second-day pick given his flexibility for a 4-3 or 3-4. In a 3-4, he could play five-technique defensive end. His best position though would be as a three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3, where he could use his speed to shoot gaps. Adams struggled against the run as a two-gap defender.

In 2016, Adams had 39 tackles with 8.5 for a loss, 4.5 sacks, one forced fumble, one interception and two passes batted. He turned in some solid play in the season opener against Clemson and continued that throughout the year. At times, Adams looked like a first-round talent with speed and size at the point of attack, but his consistency was lacking. Adams would be a beast on some plays and a ghost for other stretches.

8/13/16: Adams had a tremendous opening to the 2015 season, but didn't maintain that level of play. Auburn also gave him too many snaps. He cooled down significantly after his hot start to the season. Adams totaled 44 tackles, 2.5 for a loss, two sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass broken up during 2015.

Adams has demonstrated the ability to be a speedy disruptor at the point of attack with pass rush to go along with run defense. He has a ton of physical talent, but has to maintain good conditioning and not get lazy with his motor.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:33:09 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
Re: Pick #93 - Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »
I didn't know what to think on this pick as i didn't know much about the guy, so I watched the Auburn-Alabama game, and the Auburn Clemson game. 

After seeing those, I think this is a good pick for round three. 

The first thing I noticed is he is a big guy.  He doesn't look fat or sloppy.  He has a quick first step, and despite what the NFL.com draft analysis says, I thought he anchored pretty well against double teams.  they didn't run a lot at him, but when they did he seemed to get off the blocks and make a tackle.  Sometimes when double teamed, he would make the tackle off the line of scrimmage, but I was impressed that he could get off the double team and make the play.

I think he could be useful on passing downs due to the quick first step- they may be able to use him like they used Datone and Peppers last year to attack between the guard and tackle allowing the OLB the option stunting inside vs beating the tackle outright.

I don't think he will be a world beater, but as a rotational DL I think he stands a good chance of improving the DL play.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:12:41 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
Curious - is this your opinion or did you get this from elsewhere?  I think it would be important to use quotes and insert a link to the source if you didn't write it.

Who are you addressing?

I wrote what I thought based on watching two games against two pretty good teams.

Larry's post is his tradition of posting the Walter football analysis.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:26:55 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »
I didn't know what to think on this pick as i didn't know much about the guy, so I watched the Auburn-Alabama game, and the Auburn Clemson game. 

After seeing those, I think this is a good pick for round three. 

The first thing I noticed is he is a big guy.  He doesn't look fat or sloppy.  He has a quick first step, and despite what the NFL.com draft analysis says, I thought he anchored pretty well against double teams.  they didn't run a lot at him, but when they did he seemed to get off the blocks and make a tackle.  Sometimes when double teamed, he would make the tackle off the line of scrimmage, but I was impressed that he could get off the double team and make the play.

I think he could be useful on passing downs due to the quick first step- they may be able to use him like they used Datone and Peppers last year to attack between the guard and tackle allowing the OLB the option stunting inside vs beating the tackle outright.

I don't think he will be a world beater, but as a rotational DL I think he stands a good chance of improving the DL play.

He clearly has some quick-twitch to him.  He does remind me of Worthy in that he likes to get off of the snap very quickly.  What concerns me is his pad level.  The second he contacts an offensive lineman he loses his pad level and his rush is halted.  If he can sneak in a gap he can make a play 5 yards behind the LOS.  I don't see a good bull rush which isn't great for the position. 

I do wonder if playing high is a result of playing offenses that get the ball out quickly.  If he doesn't make that initial play he was looking for the ball to come out. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »
Three things stand out to me about Adams.
One, he could go in at nose or DE, and also has the talent to be one of the guys when they are in a two man front......flexibility.
Two, watch him in the one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl week, they all had trouble stopping him. One comment I hear a lot is good hand use, just what you want on the front line.
Three, speed, he is fast (under 4.9 40), for a guy several pounds over 300, he can get into a guys pads in a hurry.

The biggest knock on him was consistency, but with how many 2 man fronts the Packers use, they can rotate him in and out enough to minimise that.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »
Three things stand out to me about Adams.
One, he could go in at nose or DE, and also has the talent to be one of the guys when they are in a two man front......flexibility.
Two, watch him in the one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl week, they all had trouble stopping him. One comment I hear a lot is good hand use, just what you want on the front line.
Three, speed, he is fast (under 4.9 40), for a guy several pounds over 300, he can get into a guys pads in a hurry.

The biggest knock on him was consistency, but with how many 2 man fronts the Packers use, they can rotate him in and out enough to minimise that.

Nice points.  If a guy doesn't always have max-motor as a 3-down college guy, might be easier to go all-out as a rotation guy playing 40% of the snaps.  He seems like an excellent fit for the 2-man fronts, quick enough to get some pressure or collapse from there, but strong enough to hold up. 

Can't teach quickness. 

Packers are kinda overdue with their Day 1/2 DL picks.  Clark looks promising for a big lineman, and Raji had his moments.  But with Harrell, Jolly, Neal, Worthy, and Khyri Thornton, their win-rate on d-linemen picked in rounds 1-3 hasn't been that great, particularly for d-linemen drafted to play d-line rather than to end up as OLB. 

So just statistically, I think Adams is due to be an NFL-legit player!  :) 

Between him, Clark, and Daniels, and hopefully Lowry will settle in as a capable NFL rotation guy, hopefully they'll have a good young long-term core at d-line that will stick together and be good for an extended time frame. 

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:23:36 AM »
Packers are kinda overdue with their Day 1/2 DL picks.  Clark looks promising for a big lineman, and Raji had his moments.  But with Harrell, Jolly, Neal, Worthy, and Khyri Thornton, their win-rate on d-linemen picked in rounds 1-3 hasn't been that great, particularly for d-linemen drafted to play d-line rather than to end up as OLB. 

Jolly was picked in the first 3 rounds?... Regardless, he was a good pick and player for the Packers. He definitely earned a nice 2nd contract. I don't know if you can blame TT for Jolly deciding to throw his career away...  Neal was OK, he played some good football for the  Packers and got a 2nd contract.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
One other thing worth mentioning about Adams, he is young. Like Clark last year he is only 21 years old.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"