September 26, 2017, 07:57:46 AM

Author Topic: CB Jason McCourty released by Titans  (Read 1530 times)

Offline rock county

• Starter
CB Jason McCourty released by Titans
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
Devin's twin brother, Jason McCourty, released by Titans apparently after attempts at contract restructuring didn't work.

29 years old, still productive.  Worth it to kick the tires?

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: CB Jason McCourty released by Titans
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Sure? Why not? At the worst, he's not willing to accept an offer from the Packers, well, fine. No harm in trying. Though here's his contract numbers for this year- over $7 million.Though if the offers are slow in coming in- and they probably will be- then he'd probably go for one year for considerably less.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jason-mccourty-6048/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »
It could possibly take the pressure off of taking a CB earlier in draft, allowing easier decision for Edge, OL or (gasp) RB

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
Why does this feel like an NE signing? They explored trading for him before, and his bro is there. I would be down, but I just feel he goes to the empire.

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 03:10:40 AM »
Why does this feel like an NE signing? They explored trading for him before, and his bro is there. I would be down, but I just feel he goes to the empire.

Gotta think you're right.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
NE just signed Gilmore and Butler hasn't been lost (yet) either.

If Butler had been traded already, signing McCourty would make solid sense.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
Jason McCourty would be a Great acquisition for the Packers. A proven starter who offers veteran leadership and who is solid in pass AND run defense. He also instantly gives the Packers a great deal more flexibility in the draft.

He may end up in NE, but I think Thompson is seriously remiss if he doesn’t take a shot at bringing this kid to Green Bay.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »
Why was he released?  Was it a salary issue?  I often wonder about players who are cut right before the draft...

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
Why was he released?  Was it a salary issue?  I often wonder about players who are cut right before the draft...

Like if there's a drug test result in their future?
I read somewhere it was dollar driven. Him wanting something around 7-8M? Dont hold me to that....totally unsure.

Add on:
According to ESPN's Mike Reiss, free agent CB Jason McCourty "might be fortunate" to earn half of the $7 million salary he was scheduled to earn from the Titans in 2017.McCourty was let go by the Titans on Thursday, partially because he balked at taking a pay cut. One "informed opinion" told Reiss that Leon Hall's one-year, $2 million contract with the Giants last season might be a good comparison for McCourty, though Reiss feels he could do "a bit better than that." With Malcolm Butler pushing for a trade, McCourty could make sense for the Patriots, who employ Jason's twin brother Devin at free safety.
Apr 16 - 9:58 AM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:16:30 AM by Leader »

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 11:29:48 PM »

Contract restructure issues, according to USA Today reported that the breakup between Jason and the Titans was over the re-working of Jason's five-year, $43 million extension he signed back in 2012.

Malcom Butler signed his RFA contract with New England, possibly reducing that scenario of McCourty going to NE.