November 18, 2017, 06:02:39 AM

Author Topic: Here's my guess  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Still Cheesy

• Second String
Here's my guess
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
I tried doing the full 7 for all the teams. Here's what I ended up with for the Packers

1. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State - Actually ended up with him, Humphrey, White and King on the board. For some reason I think Conley would be the pick.

2. Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston - Didn't expect him to be here, but pass rushers fell. If he was off the board, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson and Tim Williams were all still on the board as well. It might be unrealistic, but because of the lack of quality on the o-line this year, I had most of the plug-and-play options going up to half a round before where they are projected, moving the pass rushers down.

3. Samaje Perrine, RB, Oklahoma - Almost doubled up on pass rushers with Hendrickson, but went with filling the running back need instead. This feels like a trade-down spot.

4. J.J. Dielman, OL, Utah - Seems like a Packers lineman in some ways (experience at tackle and center but possibly ticketed for guard as a pro). The fourth and fifth rounds are often the o-line rounds for the Packers.

5a. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, Texas A&M - A second offensive line prospect to balance out the two lost.

5b. Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M - The number of middle round receivers left them as the BPA here, leading to the drafting of a second A&M player in the round.

6. Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington - Packers lost a couple of pass rushers, and Ebukam is an intriguing late round option they had in for a visit.

7. Chase Allen, ILB, Southern Illinois - FCS linebacker who tested better than expected. Seems as good a prospect as any with this pick.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Here's my guess
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »
Value everywhere. Really like every pick from round 1 to round 5.

The three least likely to be there (in my mind) are Conley (guessing he is gone by #25), Perine (gone earlier in round three), and Reynolds (gone a round earlier), but you can never be sure until the real draft plays out. A bit heavy on linebackers, and I'd probably have looked for a developmental TE like Kittle in round 4, but a nice draft, very nice.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
I'd take this draft in a nano second!

The first 3 picks are all day 1 starters IMO.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
Based upon what I know, it looks to me like you’ve picked some really good players who could help the Packers as rookies! Great job!

And to make your complete seven-round mock more realistic, hopefully you had Minnesota reaching ridiculously for some players, especially in the first couple rounds... () - : #
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:41:28 AM by JQ »

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
I think this mock would be great! Hope it comes through.
I think Gareon Conley is a solid first round pick and someone I can imagine TT choosing.
Tyus Bowser in the second would be FANSTATIC! He has a lot of production for his limited time playing and can drop and cover, plus he tested well. I expect the secret is out on him and he will likely go early in the second round. I have him pegged to be our 1st round pick.
I also think  Josh Reynolds in the 5th is a good spot for him and likely TT kind of guy.

can't wait to find out.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
I tried doing the full 7 for all the teams. Here's what I ended up with for the Packers

1. Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State - Actually ended up with him, Humphrey, White and King on the board. For some reason I think Conley would be the pick.

6'0" - Height
33" - Arm Length
195LBS - Weight
9 1/2" - Hands

Overview

As a redshirt freshman, Conley stepped into the starting lineup against Michigan State for an injured Eli Apple. He did not fare well against the Spartans' strong passing game that day, forcing an injured Apple back onto the field. Over the past two years, however, Conley has started every game for the Buckeyes. He was an honorable mention All-Big Ten pick in 2015 (two interceptions, five pass breakups) and then graduated to second-team all-conference as a junior (four INTs, eight PBU).

Strengths
Has NFL size with above-average length. Plays long. At his best when playing with inside leverage and trapping receivers against the boundary. Shades receivers with a basketball stance -- wide base, bent knees and wide arms. Creates challenging throwing lanes to target. Allowed just 37 percent completion rate. Press-man talent with zone instincts. Shows discipline and technique on verticals and curls. Matches with his feet rather than grabbing. Senses when his pattern is designed to clear space for another receiver and reacts accordingly. Has plus burst to the throw. Uses length to play around receiver and bat passes down underneath without interfering. Runs well and sinks into receiver's lap down the field, getting his head around to make a play on the ball. Plays the ball with soft hands and outstanding timing.

Weaknesses
Can be a little tight-hipped in his transitions. Pattern-match was just average when facing off against more advanced route trees. Michigan receivers created separation and some panic in Conley with their inside releases and crossing routes. Got caught reaching and holding in attempt to recover. Will occasionally default to face-guarding rather than turning to find ball. Can be slow to digest route combinations and lose track of his man. Doesn’t look as comfortable or confident in off-man. Plays small in run support and needs to work on consistency as a tackler. Gets driven off his spot by blocking receivers and rarely charges forward to attack near the line of scrimmage.
Sources Tell Us "He's not as good as the other cornerback (Marshon Lattimore), but he's a good corner. If he measures over 6-foot and runs in the low 4.4s he will come off the board on Thursday night." -- North area scout for NFC team

NFL Comparison: Aqib Talib

Bottom Line
Press-corner with experience at both cornerback spots and an ability to fit into a variety of coverage techniques. He plays with good top-end speed and has the ball skills to challenge and defend passes on any level. He can step in right away in zone coverage, but could struggle to match patterns from a pedal. He will likely be targeted by teams seeking long cornerbacks who can crowd and trail receivers down the field. He has the talent to become an early starter, but he must improve in run support.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:00:15 PM by Leader »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »

2. Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston - Didn't expect him to be here, but pass rushers fell. If he was off the board, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson and Tim Williams were all still on the board as well. It might be unrealistic, but because of the lack of quality on the o-line this year, I had most of the plug-and-play options going up to half a round before where they are projected, moving the pass rushers down.

6'3" - Height
33 1/4" - Arm Length
247LBS - Weight
10 1/8" - Hands

Overview

Bowser was looking for a huge senior season, coming off of a junior year where he started every game, making 50 tackles, 6.5 for loss, and 5.5 sacks. Unfortunately, a fight with one of his teammates resulted in his missing a month with a broken orbital bone. He overcame that setback to still garner second-team all-conference honors, leading the team with 8.5 sacks among his 12 tackles for loss in just eight games. Bowser played basketball and football over his first two years on campus. He played all games on the gridiron as a freshman (26 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks) and sophomore (13 tackles, 3.5 TFL, three sacks), starting once each season.

Strengths
Explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Bursts out of his stance and challenges the edge. Good shoulder turn at the edge of rush and can dip and corner with very tight radius. Showed ability to play in variety of spots. Crisp change of direction ability. Took to his coaching and showed drastic improvement against the run this year. Played two years of college basketball at Houston which shows up with his footwork and fluidity when dropping into space. Has ability to pattern match tight ends. Light is starting to come on for him. Should have a big day at the combine.

Weaknesses
Undersized on the edge. May not have the frame to carry much more weight. Can be engulfed by size. Needs to get better with hands at point of attack. Still has issues where he looks like a basketball guy learning football. Production as pass rusher doesn't match his explosive traits. Pass rush is built around athleticism and not enough around skill. Has to get even tougher and more skilled against the run.
Sources Tell Us "He's got all the athletic traits and explosiveness and none of the consistency of production you want. I still think you are kind of gambling on him if you take him too high but it's going to be really hard to pass on the athlete after what he's done this postseason." -- NFL general manager

NFL Comparison: Eli Harold

Bottom Line
Ascending pass-rush prospect who is still learning the fundamentals of his position thanks to a late commitment to the sport. Bowser's movement ability in space creates interesting possibilities for teams looking for a twitched-up toy to play with. Bowser lacks production, but his explosive characteristics off the edge will push him up the draft board and give him a chance to play well above where some scouts might project him.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
3. Samaje Perrine, RB, Oklahoma - Almost doubled up on pass rushers with Hendrickson, but went with filling the running back need instead. This feels like a trade-down spot.

5'11" - Height
30 3/8" - Arm Length
233LBS - Weight
10" - Hands

Overview

Former Wisconsin and current Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon felt good about beating LaDainian Tomlinson's NCAA single-game rushing record in 2014. One week later, Perine (pronounced p-rine) decided he wanted the records, racking up 427 yards and five touchdowns against Kansas. The true freshman had a great year overall, receiving third-team All-American and Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year honors (as well as first-team all-conference) with 1,713 yards and 21 touchdowns. Perine also earned first-team All-Big 12 accolades with 1,349 yards and 16 scores as a sophomore. Although teammate Joe Mixon took some of Perine's carries in 2016, the junior ran for 1,060 yards and 12 scores in a second-team all-conference effort. His mom named him Samaje (sam-AH-jay) to keep the name "Sam" in the family but add something special. Scouts think his talent is special, as well.

Strengths
Has build and toughness to handle a heavy workload if called on. Gets a deep press off line of scrimmage before making his cut. Able to fit into the crevices between the tackles and come out the other side. Very powerful through his hips and thighs. Creates for himself with power. Arm tacklers won't like the results. Drives through initial contact and continues to churn out additional yardage. Pad level is always where it is supposed to be. Delivers a message when he finishes runs. Short yardage winner and doesn't have much wasted motion as a runner. Decisive in his downhill charge but does so with quality vision. Not a typical third down option, but has the soft hands out of backfield to be a solid screen and check-down option.

Weaknesses
All bully with very little ballerina as a runner. Lacks loose hips to make sudden lateral escapes or take advantage of a late opening. Doesn't have the big burst to jet from first to third level. Low-knee action keeps his lower body covered with hands and tackle attempts. Has prolonged gear-down to make open field cuts. Needs a clear path early in the rep. Missing restart quickness when slowed by initial defender. Play speed is very average. Could have troubles getting to the edge against NFL speed. Has had ankle injuries in past that could require additional scrutiny at the combine. All bully with very little ballerina as a runner. Lacks loose hips to make sudden lateral escapes or take advantage of a late opening. Doesn't have the big burst to jet from first to third level. Low-knee action keeps his lower body covered with hands and tackle attempts. Has prolonged gear-down to make open field cuts. Needs a clear path early in the rep. Missing restart quickness when slowed by initial defender. Play speed is very average. Could have troubles getting to the edge against NFL speed. Has had ankle injuries in past that could require additional scrutiny at the combine.
Sources Tell Us "I love Perine. Great kid, hard worker, reliable. He's a team-first player who will fit into a committee approach or can handle all the work. He will be a solid pro back." - AFC National scout

NFL Comparison: Michael Turner

Bottom Line
Perine is a physical runner who can create additional yardage through power and can be a complimentary "banger" for a team who already has a slasher. Perine doesn't have the burst or play speed to be a dynamic lead back, but he can handle a heavy workload if needed and he should become an immediate short-yardage and goal-line option.

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
The only thing is I expect Conley to be taken before our pick at 29 and Bowser to be gone before our pick in the 2nd :(