September 26, 2017, 07:58:25 AM

Author Topic: CB Gareon Conley, Ohio State, accused of rape  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: CB Gareon Conley, Ohio State, accused of rape
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
Its unclear to me what the agent's supposed to have done about this beforehand.
Was there a league function going on - with players and agents gathered? 

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
Its unclear to me what the agent's supposed to have done about this beforehand.
Was there a league function going on - with players and agents gathered?

I won't go so far as Gregg and say the agent let him down. 

However I would expect that the agent would have coached him up on maximizing his reward-  and part of that is coaching him up on don't do anything stupid between the combine and the draft. 

I don't fault the agent- i fault Conley for not having the brains to be boring, and get drafted high, and get a good payday.  The agent can only deal with the intellectual substrate that is present.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
He wont meet with police until Monday.  Dont know all the details, but I wouldnt take him off the board based on a accusation.  If you can steal a Sydney Jones (2nd) and/or Conley later in the draft its worth a look IMO.  Two top corners who could help us for years.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:40:14 PM by The GM »

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
Don't think you can touch Conley.  Not with that hanging over his head.  Don't care how good he is.  Definitely won't fly in GB. Sidney Jones with and Achilles not sure about that either.  Serious injury.  Have to assume he won't play this year.  Does he come back the same player?  Dallas took Jaylen Smith and it's blowing up in there face.  Take guys who keep their noses clean and are healthy.  Draft picks are too valuable to take gambles with.  Had it been an ACL at least that would be more of a safe prognosis.  Somebody will take Jones probably in the 3rd.  Maybe it will work out and he'll come back or maybe he'll bust.  It's a risk just saying...

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »
Does Conley turn into another La'el Collins?  Not drafted at all, but works out an UDFA contract with a team of his liking?  Certainly not the best of terms, but...?

Funny smell to this story. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Here is the full Conley statement released through his representation:

"The allegations against me concerning the night of April 8/9 that have recently been reported in multiple media outlets are completely false. I did not commit a crime and have not been charged with a crime.

I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field. The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fit my character at all. I realize that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgement. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL draft.

These allegations appear to be an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family. There were several witnesses, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place. We also have video evidence that further discredit and disprove other versions of these events. I am upset but realize that I am powerless when false accusations are made and people try to convict you in the court of public opinion. It's sad that your name can get dragged through the mud based upon untrue and malicious allegations alone.

I am completely confident that as the facts actually come out my name will be cleared. I was excited about participating in Thursday's draft but I have decided that it would be selfish for me to stay and be a distraction to the NFL, the other players, and their families who have worked just as hard as me to enjoy the experience so I will not be in attendance.

I hope and look forward to the honor of being an NFL player and working to be the best representative, player, person, and teammate that I can be for the team and the community I will be in."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802776/article/gareon-conley-rape-accusation-against-me-completely-false

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »
Here is the full Conley statement released through his representation:

"The allegations against me concerning the night of April 8/9 that have recently been reported in multiple media outlets are completely false. I did not commit a crime and have not been charged with a crime.

I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field. The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fit my character at all. I realize that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgement. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL draft.

These allegations appear to be an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family. There were several witnesses, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place. We also have video evidence that further discredit and disprove other versions of these events. I am upset but realize that I am powerless when false accusations are made and people try to convict you in the court of public opinion. It's sad that your name can get dragged through the mud based upon untrue and malicious allegations alone.

I am completely confident that as the facts actually come out my name will be cleared. I was excited about participating in Thursday's draft but I have decided that it would be selfish for me to stay and be a distraction to the NFL, the other players, and their families who have worked just as hard as me to enjoy the experience so I will not be in attendance.

I hope and look forward to the honor of being an NFL player and working to be the best representative, player, person, and teammate that I can be for the team and the community I will be in."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802776/article/gareon-conley-rape-accusation-against-me-completely-false

His agent, who is getting an unfair bashing by some, wrote a strong letter.

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
If this is a false accusation by some gold digger, I hope that there is serious punishment, not just to punish her (severely), but to dissuade anybody from doing something like this again.

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
None of us know anything about the facts of what happened. I suggest the least we can do is not to cast guilt on the alleged victim or perpetrator at this piont.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
None of us know anything about the facts of what happened. I suggest the least we can do is not to cast guilt on the alleged victim or perpetrator at this piont.

Agreed
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »

Agreed

You know guys that's all fine.  He may be innocent he may not be.  None of us know but this is a very serious allegation.  Really pretty ugly.  She did have a rape kit done so it is likely they did have sex.  Really boils down to a he said she said deal.  They probably won't be able to convict him of rape.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.  Regardless it's not the kind of problem I would like to bring on to my team.  His response which I assume was written by his agent was very good.  Maybe some team takes a shot at him I really don't know.  Suspect the kid is going to slide big time might not even be drafted.  The gold digger scenario doesn't sound right to me either.  She just destroyed his draft status so it's not like the kid is going to get big money anymore.  Whole thing stinks but the kid was stupid for putting himself in that position.  No way around it reflects very badly on him. 

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-gareon-conleys-stock-in-limbo-after-sexual-assault-allegations-arise/

Article I came across on CBS sports.  Sounds about right they believe he will go undrafted.  Really crappy situation but 7th round rolls around and
you gotta think well?  He's found guilty you cut him.  If exonerated you just locked up a first round talent for 4 years.  If I was a GM honestly he'd be off my board.  Wouldn't draft him in any round.  Tough as it may sound it's just not the kind of situation you want as it hangs a negative cloud over the whole organization.

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
Good, maybe he falls to us at 29 now.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
you are kidding right?

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-gareon-conleys-stock-in-limbo-after-sexual-assault-allegations-arise/

Article I came across on CBS sports.  Sounds about right they believe he will go undrafted.  Really crappy situation but 7th round rolls around and
you gotta think well?  He's found guilty you cut him.  If exonerated you just locked up a first round talent for 4 years.  If I was a GM honestly he'd be off my board.  Wouldn't draft him in any round.  Tough as it may sound it's just not the kind of situation you want as it hangs a negative cloud over the whole organization.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/27/gareon-conley-to-give-dna-sample-interview-with-police-monday/
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.