November 18, 2017, 05:51:58 AM

Author Topic: Thursday - Day 1 Draft Discussion  (Read 19477 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Thursday - Day 1 Draft Discussion
« Reply #450 on: April 28, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
You do realize the Packers did beat the Cowboys on their turf? You do realize that Atlanta was on their twice a decade run, and will probably fade into obscurity this year? You do realize the Packers defensive backfield was decimated by injury, that Matthews was playing hurt, and that the team health overall was not good. So, to say they're two to three years away is nonsense. The Packers are perennial SB contenders for a reason. And the idea of "one or two players away" is dangerous. Because then you draft for perceived need, or sign that expensive FA at the position of perceived need, fall short, and are limited by self imposed circumstances from making the team better. In short, I reject your premise and your pessimism.

Something else worth mentioning is McCarthy's comment on how each years locker room has a different feel. That is important to him, which means it probably should be, for us. There is no point guessing how that falls out, but it is likely to have a significant impact on the team. Just one more variable that cannot easily be factored in, to the overall performance in 2017.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #451 on: April 28, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »
I don't believe the Packers are 4 TD favorites over Seattle or NY Giants any more than I think ATL was a heavy favorite over GB in the Playoffs.   Sports are funny that way but it's the last impression of the team we had.   It only stands to reason that if people think we can't compete with ATL and have no shot at a SB than NY Giants and Seattle - both teams we beat 38-10 and 38-13 - have -0- chance to be competitive.  Or does that standard only apply to GB?

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #452 on: April 28, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
Trading out of the first round may have been a brilliant move, but it's not particularly exciting. :)

I'm going to have to see some real improvement on the defensive side before I believe this team can make it through a tough playoff run.  I suppose sometimes you win a Super Bowl when you least expect it.  Can't think of an example of that, but right now I don't expect it.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #453 on: April 28, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Trading out of the first round may have been a brilliant move, but it's not particularly exciting. :)

I'm going to have to see some real improvement on the defensive side before I believe this team can make it through a tough playoff run.  I suppose sometimes you win a Super Bowl when you least expect it.  Can't think of an example of that, but right now I don't expect it.

More often than not, the best moves are the unexciting, quiet ones. Good teams often trade back and get extra picks. Poor (and more desperate) teams trade up and do the big money FA deals.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #454 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »
More often than not, the best moves are the unexciting, quiet ones. Good teams often trade back and get extra picks. Poor (and more desperate) teams trade up and do the big money FA deals.
I'm not arguing your point, but when Ted traded up to get CMIII I thought that was one of his most exciting draft days.  I didn't think that was desperate.  When you can get an impact player, that's hard to replace.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:02:41 PM by iarwain »

Offline BTIdaho

• Second String
« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Id love to be a fly on the wall tonight in the packers war room.  Got all night to sort out your pick.

TT knows what he is going to do. He's probably already in his housecoat and slippers, nightcap in hand, zoning out to Seinfeld reruns.
He has his press conference. I hope he is put on full blast by the media over Watt.

Watt missed his first two and half years of college, played his last season in a rotational role, if he  wasn't JJ's brother, was from Wisconsin, and played college at Wisconsin I doubt you would be this upset about the Packers not picking him
BE. Watt was the leader of that defense and he was the best LB they had. he played two years and was a beast. Go wTch some film because you have no idea what you are talking about.

I was a proponent of Watt as well.  However, he was not a beast for two years.  Correct me if I am wrong but did he not miss the entire 2015 season due to knee injuries?  He only played, albeit very well, OLB for one season?