November 24, 2017, 06:46:35 AM

Author Topic: Friday Day 2 Draft Discussion  (Read 21227 times)

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Re: Friday Day 2 Draft Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 12:59:24 AM »
Does anyone know why Cook slipped out of the first round?

Mel Kiper disease.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 01:25:48 AM »
If Thompson wants a starting guard for years to come, he’ll need to stay put at #33 so he can take Lamp. Their new guard, former all-pro Jhari Evans, will be 34 when the season starts. There are few high-quality interior lineman with the talent of Forrest Lamp.

Not the flashy pick many, including me, would prefer. But they still ought to be able to score a good CB and RB later on Friday, or even with that first pick on Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:27:30 AM by JQ »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 01:41:04 AM »

"Cook says he doesn’t pay attention to the various quotes from anonymous NFL sources expressing concern, but the one quote that irked the running back’s camp, if not Cook himself, came from an evaluator in a piece by Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller. “The pattern of bad decisions [is] alarming, really,” a scout told Miller. “With my job on the line, I trust [Joe] Mixon a lot more than Dalvin Cook. Mixon is considered as talented a runner as any in this draft, though he’s projected to fall to the second or third round....several teams have judged Cook as a chronic off-field concern, and a player who isn’t worth the headache. Of the nine teams polled by The MMQB, three said they had no interest in Cook because of his off-field track record. Said one NFC general manager, “he’s not off our board, but there are many concerns.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/25/nfl-draft-dalvin-cook-red-flags-character-concerns-scouts-florida-state-miami-dade

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:56 AM »

He carries some baggage. Doesn't have a good crowd around him (apparently), off the field issues, and some reaccuring injury issues (shoulders, hamstring).

Offline OnaBadger58

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:21 AM »
If Thompson wants a starting guard for years to come, he’ll need to stay put at #33 so he can take Lamp. Their new guard, former all-pro Jhari Evans, will be 34 when the season starts. There are few high-quality interior lineman with the talent of Forrest Lamp.

Not the flashy pick many, including me, would prefer. But they still ought to be able to score a good CB and RB later on Friday, or even with that first pick on Saturday.

If we don't trade our picks, I'd be suprised to see a G as our first pick. Maybe someone like Feely can be picked later on. Too many skilled position needs at this point.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
Figured I'd say it here since I missed the first 6 picks due to work - I think everyone hating on the Bears pick at 2 needs to calm down.  I, like the rest of the board, hopes he's a miss in the same mold as Cutler, but QB is the most important position by far and the Bears got the consensus #1.

There are a lot of factors that go into a QB becoming a stud, but I just think that we should see how it goes before hating on their pick.  I mean if the Packers were towards the bottom of the league, I would hope that they would sign a QB with upside (Glennon) to a short deal, also while picking the QB of the future to groom him.

I hope Trubisky doesn't amount to anything, strictly as a packer fan, but if they hit on either him or Glennon, the division might be a bit tougher very quickly.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 02:02:41 AM »
In terms of Day 2 convo, give me Mixon all day.

Would love a trade down again and then take Mixon in the 40's.  Doubt it happens, but we'll see

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:17 AM »
In terms of Day 2 convo, give me Mixon all day.

Would love a trade down again and then take Mixon in the 40's.  Doubt it happens, but we'll see

I think our OL issues could be taken care of with later picks, but I wouldnt be surprised if they hold and snag Lamp. Unfortunately, I cant say that would be a bad move - although I'd personally prefer Mixon. I really want his skills on the team. From NFL.com regards Lamp: "He's the real deal. If he can snap, you could get away with playing him all up and down the line. Great feet, strong, smart." -- AFC executive. NFL Comparison Zach Martin

Offline Still Cheesy

• Second String
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 02:30:30 AM »
I could end up being wrong, but I'm skeptical that it GB will take Mixon 33. Between the off the field issues and the devaluation of the RB position, I just think he needs to be a clear No. 1 on their board, but if he was a clear No. 1 on their board, I don't know that the Packers trade down. I'm going to guess King, Bowser or Willis with an outside chance of Lamp. I'm leaning King, but the pass rushers wouldn't surprise me.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 06:06:00 AM »
Whether we trade back again or stay at 33, I think there is a good chance that we trade to move up from 61.

I'm thinking this way as well.

I would have no problem with taking Mixon at #33, and then trading up to get any one of Bowser/Willis/Cunningham.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »
I'm interested to see what we do. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping another 5 spots and getting another 5 since there are about 10 people I'd really like right now. Plus at least from what I read, this draft is loaded with second round grade players (only like 18 first round grade). I'm cool with Lamb, King Cook, Mixon, Robinson. Lamp could be a day 1 starter depending on the plan is for Spriggs (I was kind of under the impression, he was supposed to take over for Lang/Sitton, but then Taylor did fine, we signed Evans for a year... Bulaga and Bak are signed through 19).

I'd love Cook or Mixon (we need a play making RB).

A guy I'd like to trade up for is Tim Williams. We need a pass rush more than anything. He projects as a solid rush LB that can play inside.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
I'd love Cook or Mixon (we need a play making RB).

A guy I'd like to trade up for is Tim Williams. We need a pass rush more than anything. He projects as a solid rush LB that can play inside.

Cook, Mixon, Tim Williams. Now here is someone who likes bad-boys.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:30:43 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 06:33:29 AM »

Mel Kiper disease.

Bad hair?

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 06:52:37 AM »
TT seems to mention character in many of his interveiws about the draft. Doesn't fit in with a Mixon pick with the 1st in round 2, IMHO.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 06:59:57 AM »
We are on the clock....

LOL...  very true