November 24, 2017, 06:46:50 AM

Author Topic: Friday Day 2 Draft Discussion  (Read 21227 times)

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
Re: Friday Day 2 Draft Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
Figured I'd say it here since I missed the first 6 picks due to work - I think everyone hating on the Bears pick at 2 needs to calm down.  I, like the rest of the board, hopes he's a miss in the same mold as Cutler, but QB is the most important position by far and the Bears got the consensus #1.

There are a lot of factors that go into a QB becoming a stud, but I just think that we should see how it goes before hating on their pick.  I mean if the Packers were towards the bottom of the league, I would hope that they would sign a QB with upside (Glennon) to a short deal, also while picking the QB of the future to groom him.

I hope Trubisky doesn't amount to anything, strictly as a packer fan, but if they hit on either him or Glennon, the division might be a bit tougher very quickly.

Trubisky was t;he consensus #1 QB this year?  TBH this wasn't a very good year for QBs so I have a feeling the teams that traded up for one of these is going to have buyer's remorse later on.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
Awuzie, King, Mixon, Bowser, Budda, Cook, Melifonwu, Willis, Moreau.

The more I see, the more I want Ted to get more picks for friday- a lot of talent there.

That is my thought as well...  move down 3-8 spots and pick up another 3rd

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 07:01:33 AM »
In terms of Day 2 convo, give me Mixon all day.

Would love a trade down again and then take Mixon in the 40's.  Doubt it happens, but we'll see

I think our OL issues could be taken care of with later picks, but I wouldnt be surprised if they hold and snag Lamp. Unfortunately, I cant say that would be a bad move - although I'd personally prefer Mixon. I really want his skills on the team. From NFL.com regards Lamp: "He's the real deal. If he can snap, you could get away with playing him all up and down the line. Great feet, strong, smart." -- AFC executive. NFL Comparison Zach Martin

Maybe because of his baggage we can take Lamp and still get Mixon later on?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 07:20:32 AM »
There is a ton of talent left to choose from. I wanted the Packers to grab Foster, but oh well. I would have been happy with TJ Watt, but oh well. We picked up a 4th and that pick should have a lot of good players to choose from at that point in the draft as well. Now, if TT could rob someone blind who is desperate for that one guy at 33, maybe a 2nd and 3rd in the top 10 of each round, we could have us a lot of shots at getting really good players.

I'm usually a fan of trading down for more darts at the board. This is no exception for me.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »
In terms of Day 2 convo, give me Mixon all day.

Would love a trade down again and then take Mixon in the 40's.  Doubt it happens, but we'll see

I think our OL issues could be taken care of with later picks, but I wouldnt be surprised if they hold and snag Lamp. Unfortunately, I cant say that would be a bad move - although I'd personally prefer Mixon. I really want his skills on the team. From NFL.com regards Lamp: "He's the real deal. If he can snap, you could get away with playing him all up and down the line. Great feet, strong, smart." -- AFC executive. NFL Comparison Zach Martin

Maybe because of his baggage we can take Lamp and still get Mixon later on?

Could - but who knows? My personal impressions certainly color my thinking that he wont last long - certainly not till the bottom of the round - so either he'd get snagged by CIN, DET, MN in regular rotation (IMO) - or somebody could move up. Its a total crapshoot from our vantage point.

I want the GBP's to draft him. I've no clue how the GBP's have him valued or figured into their drafting strategy.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000803469/article/2017-nfl-draft-best-remaining-prospects

Gil Brandt's list of talent left on board. Man are there some really good football players here.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
Trying to read into what Ted says, is like staring into the tea leaves to tell someones fortune, you can see what you want to see. Even so, this is what I got from what Ted said.

1) The Packers are likely to trade down again, as long as they don't have to go down too far. I get this from the 'strong board' comment, that suggests there are several choices available that Ted likes equally. He even elaborated slightly on that to say the board was still strong at the end of the day (after the final pick). This probably doesn't mean more than three or four players they like still being there, but they will be mixed among other highly rated guys he doesn't want, so the Packers could move down as much as, say, 8 places and still feel they can get one of the guys they like.

2) Ted seems to have more confidence than before the draft in who goes where, because they have seen by what happened in the draft, that their board must look pretty similar to other boards (at least to this point). That helps Ted project the next few picks, which in turn helps give him confidence in still getting a good player if he trades down. There is a risk to this, best illustrated by how many of the picks I liked, that went in the first round #21-#27 range. I liked six of those seven picks taken (not a great fan of Peppers), and would not have predicted (before they were taken) that they would all be gone quite so quickly.

3) Just based on common sense, the top round four pick is also a hot pick for trading, so unless there is someone he likes above all others, that will be traded as well.

Go to it, trader Ted.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:01:56 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
I'm not sure if people would be as critical of the Bears taking Trubisky if they stayed at 3 to do so.  It's just the surprise factor and draft picks involved to move up one spot.  Giving up several picks to move up 1 spot for any player just seems like a dumb move.  End of the day - giving up a 3rd/4th and a 2018 3rd isn't a bad price if you end up with a viable franchise QB.  Certainly bettter than the truckload of 1st/high round picks featured in trades for RGIII or Goff or Wentz.   They have a good stop-gap mentor in Glennon to allow Trubisky to grow into the role.  Surprising move for sure but I applaud Pace for taking that chance.   Shame for Trubisky I now hate him and want him to fail miserably until he gets traded out of our division and redeems himself elsewhere.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »
Like with all high QB picks, you don't really care what you gave up if he pans out - the position is that important. It's if he bombs that you really suffer.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
Annoying to wait so long and then find the Packers aren't picking on Day 1. But, a smart move. Plenty of talent left, and TT now has the ability to trade up for a player he is targeting (think Spriggs from last year). Also, be prepared for a surprise or two from TT. After all, Jennings, Nelson, Bakhtiari, even Nick Collins were real shocks. Expect the same this year. Because TT is hoping for immediate returns, but also sees the value of drafting for the future, as he did with Rodgers.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
Last night, Thompson seemed happy to be at 33 and getting a lot of interest from other teams for that pick.  I believe the best landing spot for the Packers would be at 36.  Maybe get another 4th, or a 5th and 6th.  It seems that the Packers first pick is going to be a CB.  There are 3 CB's worth taking in this area, King, Awuzie, and Wilson.  Assuming the team you trade with wants Kizer or Webb, there can only be 2 CB's at most come off the board before our pick, and we get a good CB, and 2 or 3 extra draft picks.

I thought that we would use the extra picks to move up from 61 and get a RB, OL, or OLB, but TT said last night that he wanted to "restock" the team this year and so he was looking to trade to get some extra picks.  Now, whether that is the truth or BS, we probably find out tonight.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »
I believe the Arizona Cardinals are going to be calling the Packers as well as the Jets, San Diego and Cleveland.  Cleveland has two 1st rd picks next year that they can dangle plus a high 3rd rd pick this year!!!!  These teams need QB's bad!

Also, some food for thought for you, there were two teams that contacted the Seattle Sea Puppies about Richard Sherman.  Those two teams were the Oakland Raiders and yes, the Green Bay Packers.  So, maybe TT is accumulating picks for another reason!

I like what he is doing so far!  I knew Pittsburgh was going after Watt cause their coach (Tomlin) (TT was there too) spent a lot of time at Wis pro day watching Watt.  The talent prior to this draft from 20-65 was about the same, now you have several blow picks and we now have 1st rd talent and alot of it in the 2nd rd, add that drop to the 3rd rd now.  This team has holes still, one of which I harp on alot at MLB!  We need a pass rushing DE/OLB, those alabama guys (Willams, anderson, Tomlinson) are high on my list! 

Trust TT, GO PACKERS FIX THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SPEED KILLS, but so does talent!!!!

Again I like Jordan Willis from Kansas State, he is better than Myles Garrett or the kid from Tennessee!!!  I really like Cunningham here! In the back of my mind, Richard Sherman two is sitting out there with Sydney Jones and I would feel comfortable with that pick.  I do not want to see a rb selected (Connor, Williams, etc.) til the 4th rd.  I think Feeney comes into play here, not Lamp!   

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 08:19:02 AM »
I asked this before but does anyone else feel that Hundley was a much better QB coming out of college than Kizer?   Maybe a team surprises me and grabs him early but if Hundley lasted until the 5th #147 I could easily see a fall of at least another round or two for Kizer

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »
Thanks to one of the readers for posting Gil Brandts best available 150 players,  WOW!!!!!  Get more Picks TT!   Now, some other food for thought that one of the other readers posted, now we have lots of ammo to move up from the bottom of the rounds into the uppers rounds, too! 

Syndney Jones, Kevin King, Quincy Wilson, Jordan Willis, Lamp, Cunningham, Williams, Anderson, Feeney, Desmond King, Holy Crap.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
Deshaun Watson has more wins in the College Football Playoff (3) than Mitchell Trubisky & Pat Mahomes have vs ranked opponents.