November 18, 2017, 05:54:09 AM

Author Topic: Friday Day 2 Draft Discussion  (Read 20835 times)

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
Re: Friday Day 2 Draft Discussion
« Reply #495 on: April 29, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
Notes:
5.  Are Packers supreme "Underwear Olympics" org?  Seems they are pretty heavily influenced by Combine numbers and Senior-Bowl-type performance. 

Certainly seems like that this year.

Although I wouldn't use the term underwear olympics to describe the senior bowl.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #496 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
Lots of fun options. 

1.  TE would be great.

2.  Lawson or some other OLB would be exciting.  (4th round picks aren't routinely every-down impact guys or sure things.  If he's a gamble with the injuries but he turns out good, could be a steal.)

3.  Asiata or one of the o-linemen would be excellent.  4th is Ted's sweet-spot for o-linemen. 

4.  A RB might be fun, if there were actually one likeable.  (Note:  not a fan of anybody who doesn't catch passes.  I want the front-two backs to be guys who can play the complete game:  get to the line, read the defense, and run or pass.  If the guy is a zero as a pass-catching option, I'm not interested at all.) 

5.  If they were to like an ILB ahead of all those guys, it would be a guy with promise, exciting.

6.  If they ID'd a WR as BPA, given all the other options, that would be really exciting too.  Could become an acute need before we know it.

Saturday discussion going on....

Just saying....
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Notes:
5.  Are Packers supreme "Underwear Olympics" org?  Seems they are pretty heavily influenced by Combine numbers and Senior-Bowl-type performance. 

Certainly seems like that this year.

I feel like fans want it both ways-

"we need to get faster"
"they are pretty heavily influenced by combine numbers"

I can see why people think this way.  For instance, the rap on King is his play speed.  The thing is, if you watch him, he doesn't get beat with speed, but instead gets beat when he gets off balance in the combat of press coverage and that allows separation.  He just doesn't get beat long.  I am not sure when I watch him play that the play speed criticism is fair.  If I were to be critical of him, he is weak in run support, and teams so rarely throw at him that I am not sure how he will do at the next level.  In college, he could take the receiver out of the play in the first five yards.  I can say that Cal threw at him in the red zone, and with his length and quickness he batted both balls away on plays that other corners wouldn't have made.  He looks like he will need to improve his technique, but I have no concerns that there is a huge discrepancy between his play speed and his measured athleticism.

I think where Ted fails is when he plans on converting a player.  Randall is a good example- a guy who played safety in college, but now has struggled a bit as he needs to learn new techniques to play corner.  Ted felt he had the best coverage skills- which from a mirror and chase perspective he may be correct.  But he doesn't have the ability yet to vary his technique as needed.

Perry was another example- converting to OLB took him his entire first contract.

I think the last year and so far this year he is doing better at getting guys with experience doing what they will do in Green Bay.  If he goes to the tape, picks successful guys in their position, and then uses the combine to eliminate players with poor measurables, I think we will do better.

I am really encouraged by this approach.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."