November 18, 2017, 05:53:28 AM

Author Topic: Saturday - Day 3 Discussion  (Read 12213 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Saturday - Day 3 Discussion
« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2017, 07:20:57 PM »
If nothing else, we could wind up with a Davante and a Devante. How many teams you say that about?  :)

And we could have other teams trying to "Keep up with the Jones'".
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
..Agree, hes also competing against a loaded WR corps.  Nelson, Adams,Cobb, Allison, Allen, Janis, Yancey. He'll have his work cut out for him

I don't see it that way at all, as a loaded/overly-competitive WR crowd for a late draft pick. 

Got the big three, Nelson, Adams, and Cobb.
*After that, you've got 4 late-round/UDFA guys competing for 2-3 spots, in Allison, Yancey, Dupre, and Davis. 
*I think Janis doesn't need to be included in that discussion, I think his days as a WR-prospect are over.  Strictly ST.  If looking more promising as a WR than Janis is impossible for Yancey or Dupre, then they are bad prospects and were bad selections.

Given the competition common in all NFL camps, I wouldn't think that Allison/Davis/Yancey/Dupre is an uncommonly difficult competition pool, and a guy who can't emerge among the top 2-3 of that foursome probably isn't impressing a lot. 

Plus, given the frequency of NFL injury, even if Dupre enters camp as #7, pretty good chance that by end of camp that injury alone would move him up to spot #6. 

Would be cool if Dupre looks pretty good, but everybody stays healthy and Davis, Allison, and Yancey all look so good that Dupre still can't make it. 

He sounds like a very nice practice-squad option. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2017, 09:09:21 PM »
..Agree, hes also competing against a loaded WR corps.  Nelson, Adams,Cobb, Allison, Allen, Janis, Yancey. He'll have his work cut out for him

I don't see it that way at all, as a loaded/overly-competitive WR crowd for a late draft pick. 

Got the big three, Nelson, Adams, and Cobb.
*After that, you've got 4 late-round/UDFA guys competing for 2-3 spots, in Allison, Yancey, Dupre, and Davis. 
*I think Janis doesn't need to be included in that discussion, I think his days as a WR-prospect are over.  Strictly ST.  If looking more promising as a WR than Janis is impossible for Yancey or Dupre, then they are bad prospects and were bad selections.

Given the competition common in all NFL camps, I wouldn't think that Allison/Davis/Yancey/Dupre is an uncommonly difficult competition pool, and a guy who can't emerge among the top 2-3 of that foursome probably isn't impressing a lot. 

Plus, given the frequency of NFL injury, even if Dupre enters camp as #7, pretty good chance that by end of camp that injury alone would move him up to spot #6. 

Would be cool if Dupre looks pretty good, but everybody stays healthy and Davis, Allison, and Yancey all look so good that Dupre still can't make it. 

He sounds like a very nice practice-squad option.
Those are good points Craig, ypu also have to consider all of those guys have training camp(s) under their belts, they know the drills, they know the playbook.   How many snaps do the rookies get?  I see your points, but still dont think it will be easy.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
I'm bothered by the fact that this was one of the deepest TE drafts in 20 years and Ted didn't take one.  The FA signings were good, but why not pick one to develop?  They typically take 2-3 years to turn into productive players.  Why not have one ready when Bennett is done?
On a rainy old day here in my locale, was re-reading this thread on day 3 of the draft. It is interesting to see who had a little clue and those who had none. Very difficult to be on the same page as the teams are, that is for sure.
But this comment did strike me enough to bring it up. So many drafted players take 2-3 years to become productive players, but so often after a year or two a good percentage of the fan base has turned on them before truely given a chance to reach their full potential. Our memories are short even when dealing with the history of our own players. Using TJ Lang as a player example, he was a player that didn't become a starter until his 3rd season. What is a little funny is by TJ own account, he was in danger of being cut his 2nd year. For TJ, he went on to be a fan favorite in time and a very productive player. The first 2 years I am sure their were plenty of naysayers regarding him also, but today not one of those naysayers can remember themselves being one them. Just a little something to remember the next time discussions involve young developing players. 

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »
I'm bothered by the fact that this was one of the deepest TE drafts in 20 years and Ted didn't take one.  The FA signings were good, but why not pick one to develop?  They typically take 2-3 years to turn into productive players.  Why not have one ready when Bennett is done?
On a rainy old day here in my locale, was re-reading this thread on day 3 of the draft. It is interesting to see who had a little clue and those who had none. Very difficult to be on the same page as the teams are, that is for sure.

But this comment did strike me enough to bring it up.

So many drafted players take 2-3 years to become productive players, but so often after a year or two a good percentage of the fan base has turned on them before truely given a chance to reach their full potential. Our memories are short even when dealing with the history of our own players.

Using TJ Lang as a player example, he was a player that didn't become a starter until his 3rd season. What is a little funny is by TJ own account, he was in danger of being cut his 2nd year. For TJ, he went on to be a fan favorite in time and a very productive player. The first 2 years I am sure their were plenty of naysayers regarding him also, but today not one of those naysayers can remember themselves being one them.

Just a little something to remember the next time discussions involve young developing players.

I love using 'paragraphs'. So much easier to read with my old eyes.

hatsoff)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
Noted. thumbsup)