September 23, 2017, 06:04:54 AM

Author Topic: Saturday - Day 3 Discussion  (Read 10442 times)

Offline pasmith13

• Starter
  • Super Bowl or Bust
Re: Saturday - Day 3 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
Like yesterday, I almost hope for a short trade down as there are a number of players I like:
 - Lawson .. would love to know the story here .. assume we will at some point.
 - King .. yes, I would go for a 3rd DB
 - Perine .. goes without saying
 - Johnson .. help on the Oline is another that goes without saying

there are even a few interesting WRs

As far as the 2nd pick in round .. how about the OT from Vandy .. Holden

He would fit the mold of a TT pick .. an OT to be moved inside.
Super Bowl Or Bust . . . no one plays to finish second

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
One guy who hasn't been mentioned much yet is Iowa TE Kittle. He was very under-used at Iowa, but he is 6'4", 247lb, and ran a 4.52 40 - that is FAST for the size. Loads of upside. NFL.com has him at about #125. He could be a target at the top or the bottom of round 4 (I know the pack picked up Beckwith and Bennett, but they are short-term fixes).

Coming from Iowa, he is the kind of blocker that can quickly gain enough coaches trust to find a way on to the field.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Noble Warrior

• Second String
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
Carroll Phillips might be a possibility

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »
One guy who hasn't been mentioned much yet is Iowa TE Kittle. He was very under-used at Iowa, but he is 6'4", 247lb, and ran a 4.52 40 - that is FAST for the size. Loads of upside. NFL.com has him at about #125. He could be a target at the top or the bottom of round 4 (I know the pack picked up Beckwith and Bennett, but they are short-term fixes).

Coming from Iowa, he is the kind of blocker that can quickly gain enough coaches trust to find a way on to the field.

He was hurt for much of his senior season but he's an incredible blocker and a pretty good receiver, too.  I sure wouldn't mind seeing him at the end of the 4th. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
The names tossed out there are good possibilities.  It also suggests TT could slide back 5 spots, get an extra pick, and get any of:  RB Perine, TE Butt, DB King, OLD Lawson/Phillips and other notables. 

G Dorian Johnson should get BAP consideration while filling a position of need.    Tony Pauline, an NFL Draft Analyst and publisher of Draft Analyst.com said of him -- DORIAN JOHNSON: Hes just a nasty blocker. Hes one of the most NFL ready offensive lineman in this years draft. Hes got a big body of work behind him. Hes a strong, dominant mauler and think he would be a good fit for a variety of systems.  Pauline sees Johnson going in either the 2nd or 3rd round if hes not medically red flagged. 

I could not find major medical issues on him -- he had a minor that kept him out of the Senior Bowl which we all know TT (and others) rely on heavily for analysis.  He had a minor (is there such a thing?) hamstring issue but it really didn't seem like much of an issue.  Maybe this is why he dropped?  I would not cry if he was the choice. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
Like yesterday, I almost hope for a short trade down as there are a number of players I like:
 - Lawson .. would love to know the story here .. assume we will at some point.
 - King .. yes, I would go for a 3rd DB
 - Perine .. goes without saying

I could see any of those guys being the pick.  I think it come down to those three and Dorian Johnson, IMO.  We'll soon find out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:52:33 AM by The GM »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »
Okay - I've watched a few more video highlight reels of Perine - and like what I see. He's NOT Eddie Lacy. I dont want another Eddie Lacy.
A back that looks like a "pin ball" as he bounces off defenders on its way down a football field. They dont last or run far in today's NFL IMO where defenders are overly muscled speed merchants paid to crush people.

Perine doesnt erase "Eddie Lacy related" thoughts that our OL isnt road grader / run blocking elites (yes, I know, we're not a running team) - so the holes I'm seeing Perine fit/run through might become more of the non-existant variety. Oklahoma most certainly was a running tedam and its not hard to imagine their OL just pounded the opposition into submission. Thats why I wanted a quicker, faster, but bigger than gnat sized, get outside and go RB.

Switching gears - Charles is an interesting (after)thought - but he's had ACL surgery on both knees in the last two years (Is that right?) What those joints have left in them has to be questioned at his point.

Offline mtsportsfan

• Rookie
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
That's why I did not understand why Ted signed two tight ends in such a rich te draft, I like the Bennett  signing. I know Hendricks was cheap,but we could have signed someone at another position for depth .

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
4th round is TT's bitch.  This is where he really shines.  Chances are we will all be huh when he picks.  Always a guy not on anyone's radar.  Be nice if we could engineer a decent trade back and add a little more here.  dunno he's had all night to think about who he wants.  Someone may want to trade up for Peterman  give us some more juice for either this year or next.  Nice spot picking here.  Really thought he'd trade down from 33 but apparently no one offered up decent value.  Comps can be traded so maybe we slide back 10 spots and pick up another 4th this year or a 3rd next year.  Something like that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:56:50 AM by scoremore »

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
The chalk says Perine or Lawson... I'll go Perine.

I like him as a compliment to Monty and I don't think much is left after him at RB.

For edge rushers, there's other prospects out there... What does Lawson have on Ebukam?... If anything, Ebukam is faster and much healthier.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
4th round is TT's bitch.

Like it!

Lets have some fun!

clap)

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
The names tossed out there are good possibilities.  It also suggests TT could slide back 5 spots, get an extra pick, and get any of:  RB Perine, TE Butt, DB King, OLD Lawson/Phillips and other notables. 

G Dorian Johnson should get BAP consideration while filling a position of need.    Tony Pauline, an NFL Draft Analyst and publisher of Draft Analyst.com said of him -- DORIAN JOHNSON: Hes just a nasty blocker. Hes one of the most NFL ready offensive lineman in this years draft. Hes got a big body of work behind him. Hes a strong, dominant mauler and think he would be a good fit for a variety of systems.  Pauline sees Johnson going in either the 2nd or 3rd round if hes not medically red flagged. 

I could not find major medical issues on him -- he had a minor that kept him out of the Senior Bowl which we all know TT (and others) rely on heavily for analysis.  He had a minor (is there such a thing?) hamstring issue but it really didn't seem like much of an issue.  Maybe this is why he dropped?  I would not cry if he was the choice.

Tony P said this AM that teams have him red flagged for medical.  Something with his liver?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »
I don't want a trade down at this point. I want a player, prefer an EDGE rusher, but the RB from Oklahoma would be really good value here.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Winners

Green Bay Packers:  Terrific job by the organization.  In Kevin King and Josh Jones they got first round caliber defensive backs in round two.  In Montravius Adams they got first round ability in the third round.

FWIW - http://draftanalyst.com/day-two-winners-and-losers

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Okay - I've watched a few more video highlight reels of Perine - and like what I see. He's NOT Eddie Lacy. I dont want another Eddie Lacy.
A back that looks like a "pin ball" as he bounces off defenders on its way down a football field. They dont last or run far in today's NFL IMO where defenders are overly muscled speed merchants paid to crush people.

Perine doesnt erase "Eddie Lacy related" thoughts that our OL isnt road grader / run blocking elites (yes, I know, we're not a running team) - so the holes I'm seeing Perine fit/run through might become more of the non-existant variety. Oklahoma most certainly was a running tedam and its not hard to imagine their OL just pounded the opposition into submission. Thats why I wanted a quicker, faster, but bigger than gnat sized, get outside and go RB.

Switching gears - Charles is an interesting (after)thought - but he's had ACL surgery on both knees in the last two years (Is that right?) What those joints have left in them has to be questioned at his point.

I appreciate your wanting a guy with some size and speed that can get outside.  I do too.  I worry about the durability/availability of those guys that have gone earlier like Mixon, Cook, and Kamara.  Of those 3, Cook is the only one who routinely had 20 carry games.

With Perine I feel like he can have the durability to carry a full load, and is a bit faster than Lacy was with his ankle issues.  But you are right, he probably isn't going to threaten the edge like Mixon did, and the combination of the two really set each up for success in college because they could be played when the game situation favored their skill set.

My hope is that Montgomery can take ownership of the edge threatening running back that can also be very productive in the passing game, while Perine can be the guy that fatigues the defense and makes them commit to the line of scrimmage.

That being said, Ted never drafts who I like, so Perine most likely won't be a Packer.

"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."